Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #21061
Hampshire Nanny
Addict
Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.Hampshire Nanny is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I just finished reading W is for Wasted, the 23rd and most recent book in Sue Grafton's Alphabet Mysteries with PI Kinsey Millhone. Now I get to wait until the next volume is published.

I got onto the reserve list for The Handsome Man's De Luxe Cafe before its release date. So, I was the first one to check out this most recent entry in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. Just started reading it last night, but I know it won't take me very long to finish it.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #21062
Rev. Bob
Guru
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch
Still slogging through Stephen King's Skeleton Crew. Again, not a slog because of the content, but because of the hideously sloppy formatting of the ebook. The worst offenses are:

- Random lack of italics. Some individual words that should be italicized aren't, some that shouldn't be are, and it's more common to see an italicized passage have random parts de-italicized than to see it rendered correctly.
- Hyphens and long dashes treated interchangeably. Frequently, an aside will start with a long dash and end with a hyphen, rather than being bracketed by a long dash on each side.
- No smallcaps. None, period, end of story. Everything that should be in smallcaps is in regular caps, and any "long spacing" that should occur between groups of smallcap text (ie. to separate sentences) has been replaced with a single space.
- No proofreading of the scan...and it's quite obvious that this is a conversion from a scanned source. For instance, in "The Raft," a character named LaVerne is variously called LaVerne, LaVeme, La Verne, and laVerne. There are also stray periods (apparently dust on the source) and a few random paragraph breaks/unifications.

To remove any doubt, this is not a pirated or gray-market ebook; this is the official Signet/Penguin release, purchased at Kobo. King's work deserves much better treatment than this.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #21063
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Now reading Moon Over Soho (PC Peter Grant #2). Possibly even better than Midnight Riot.

Thanks for the recommendation.
I am eagerly awaiting Foxglove Summer, due out January 2015.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #21064
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am eagerly awaiting Foxglove Summer, due out January 2015.
Apache
I just checked Amazon UK and will be able to get it November 13, 2014.
Aapche
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #21065
Dazrin
Guru
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 3G, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Still slogging through Stephen King's Skeleton Crew. Again, not a slog because of the content, but because of the hideously sloppy formatting of the ebook. The worst offenses are:

- Random lack of italics. Some individual words that should be italicized aren't, some that shouldn't be are, and it's more common to see an italicized passage have random parts de-italicized than to see it rendered correctly.
- Hyphens and long dashes treated interchangeably. Frequently, an aside will start with a long dash and end with a hyphen, rather than being bracketed by a long dash on each side.
- No smallcaps. None, period, end of story. Everything that should be in smallcaps is in regular caps, and any "long spacing" that should occur between groups of smallcap text (ie. to separate sentences) has been replaced with a single space.
- No proofreading of the scan...and it's quite obvious that this is a conversion from a scanned source. For instance, in "The Raft," a character named LaVerne is variously called LaVerne, LaVeme, La Verne, and laVerne. There are also stray periods (apparently dust on the source) and a few random paragraph breaks/unifications.

To remove any doubt, this is not a pirated or gray-market ebook; this is the official Signet/Penguin release, purchased at Kobo. King's work deserves much better treatment than this.
I am beginning to think that this is why Twitter exists*. A tweet of a particularly egregious page or a running total of ways that LaVerne is spelled directly to him with a note asking why there was no proofing for this book might get his attention and get it fixed. I have to believe that he just doesn't realize how sloppy they were in the conversion.

*I have seen many excellent customer service stories because of Twitter - a little negative publicity that they can easily turn into positive publicity makes it ideal for some companies.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #21066
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I just checked Amazon UK and will be able to get it November 13, 2014.
Aapche
Kool. Just in time!
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #21067
Rev. Bob
Guru
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am beginning to think that this is why Twitter exists*. A tweet of a particularly egregious page or a running total of ways that LaVerne is spelled directly to him with a note asking why there was no proofing for this book might get his attention and get it fixed. I have to believe that he just doesn't realize how sloppy they were in the conversion.
I've tried that; no response. Maybe he's talking to them (or having his agent do so), and if so, public silence is the correct protocol while the negotiations proceed.

Then again, that's a pretty big maybe.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:10 AM   #21068
Dazrin
Guru
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 3G, various Android devices
I started reading Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton yesterday. This was fully nominated a couple times for the book club last year and caught my eye then. The length, at almost 1100 pages, is daunting and one of the reasons it wasn't selected but at 10% in it has been excellent. Murder mystery, governmental corruption and intrigue, and a fight for the survival of humanity (well not that one at least yet. ) in an excellent nearish future world.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote