Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Amazon Review Pet Peeve

It would be nice if Amazon added a link/button to flag reviews that don't review the product. I have been reading a lot of them recently and I get tired of "Why is this so expensive?" or "shipped with pages ripped" type reviews of books and other products.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
That used to drive me nuts too. Now I use GoodReads for my reviews
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I use the reader's reviews of books in Amazon...is GoodReads better?
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
I use the reader's reviews of books in Amazon...is GoodReads better?
I like it because you don't have to write a review to rate it, and they do have a large number of reviewers. They also don't have the same problem stated above.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I especially dislike the flame reviews of political works. You often get people who obviously haven't read the book coming in with their political or religious agenda and rating the book poorly and making an ignorant comment.

It's really very annoying when you want to read about the actual merits of the book by people who have read it.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
It would be nice if Amazon added a link/button to flag reviews that don't review the product. I have been reading a lot of them recently and I get tired of "Why is this so expensive?" or "shipped with pages ripped" type reviews of books and other products.
There is a "Report This" link at the bottom of every review. I thought I recalled that they were adding some kind of tag identifying the reviewer actually owned the book or item. I can't remember where I read it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	report this.PNG
Views:	257
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	42283  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I like LibraryThing for book reviews (http://www.librarything.com). There you get real readers. Amazon seems to have a lot of people who want their 5 minutes of fame by posting the most outrageous remarks possible.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
I like LibraryThing for book reviews (http://www.librarything.com). There you get real readers. Amazon seems to have a lot of people who want their 5 minutes of fame by posting the most outrageous remarks possible.
Thanks for the tip! Gee...in my experience, virtually every time I have gone to Amazon, looked up a book, and scrolled down to the reviews, I have ONLY gotten reviews of the book..no inappropriate comments at all (since I only read fiction, the politics thing doesn't apply to what I've seen) The only thing I can see is that some of these folks are critic wanna-bes. Really trying to sound professional ...but I often like their reviews much more than those posted by Amazon in the body of the description of the book. Anyway, I'll check out Librarything!!!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Glad I'm not the only one who gets bugged by this. My other favorites are people who "review" pre-release items that aren't out yet and the way Amazon piles all the reviews for different versions of a title in together.
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
I feel the same way...

When I worked customer service for a publishing co, we would get emails and calls everyday from people who wanted to return the book because they did not like the ending. Sometimes, I just don't get people
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G. View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who gets bugged by this. My other favorites are people who "review" pre-release items that aren't out yet and the way Amazon piles all the reviews for different versions of a title in together.
amazon started a program to get those on their site--they actually get the material from the publishers to certain vetted reviewers so that they can have early reviews just like a pro publication or newspaper.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
I have been going to GoodReads as well.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote