Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Can't wait for Apple Tablet!

As you all may know, I am crazy for folders! I have spent the weekend putting all the movies I have been meaning to watch on my ipod. Well, I can type whatever I want for categories. Mystery, romantic thriller, thriller, romantic comedy, drama, etc. The iPod is easy to use (Amaazon's excuse for not offering folders), and categories are easy to use. Converting DVDs for the iPod is about as complex as converting books for my kindle. If my kindle had half the functionality of my iPod (and my iPod cost less), it would be a killer in the marketplace.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think and apple tablet would be cool but it may be nothing more than a large iPod Touch... and it will be really expensive... and I would drop it.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
You're gonna be waiting a long, long time. The exact same rumors that you are hearing now have circulated, with the same "zomg 100% solid leads" since 2001.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
You're gonna be waiting a long, long time. The exact same rumors that you are hearing now have circulated, with the same "zomg 100% solid leads" since 2001.
Sources in 2001 were not tracking the completed sale of a huge amount of 10 inch screens in Taiwan.

Your definition of exact same and mine differ completely.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Some of the recent rumors have been pretty solid however. But it might not be out until Q1 2010 (when they have macworld). If you have ever used an iphone you know how incredible the appstore is and the tablet isn't just an ebook reader. Imagine having a reader/internet/music/movies/games/calendar/gps/organizer/videochat device which also can run a lot of other apps. The potential is staggering, I think it would take a big chunk of the reader market.

Instead of carrying a diary, a TV, a laptop, a mobile phone and an ebook reader, you just carry the tablet.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Instead of carrying a diary, a TV, a laptop, a mobile phone and an ebook reader, you just carry the tablet.
And if you need to call someone, just hold the tablet up to your ear.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Yep, as soon as I will have a need to carry all of the above with me, I will buy apple tablet. Otherwise count me out of portable device wich doesn't fit anywhere but back pack.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Imagine having a reader/internet/music/movies/games/calendar/gps/organizer/videochat device which also can run a lot of other apps. The potential is staggering, I think it would take a big chunk of the reader market.
Imagine the lack of battery life...
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Sources in 2001 were not tracking the completed sale of a huge amount of 10 inch screens in Taiwan....
One history of the rumor
Another history, with much cruder language

Production rumors extend back to 2003.

Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i am an Apple fan too! and yes, converting videos for my iPhone really does take a lot of time but worth it.. i am also one of those who got excited with this tablet they are releasing. i wonder how that product is.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Some of the recent rumors have been pretty solid however. But it might not be out until Q1 2010 (when they have macworld). If you have ever used an iphone you know how incredible the appstore is and the tablet isn't just an ebook reader. Imagine having a reader/internet/music/movies/games/calendar/gps/organizer/videochat device which also can run a lot of other apps. The potential is staggering, I think it would take a big chunk of the reader market.

Imagine Apple releasing another good product that has nothing NEW on it but has great marketing and heaps of Apple fanboys that think Apple never makes a mistake.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I personally think an a large size apple tablet could be very good for the ebook market. The ipod touch is a great little device, but I found its cramped screen a little annoying for reading.

That being said, I think 10" is too large to be super general purpose. A 5-7" screen is likely to be much more portable. And of course any back lit LCD is not necessarily going to be ideal for reading for hours at a time.

BTW, if you really want the ability to do folders, well, there are current devices that support them... the Jetbook is one example.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Wonder how proprietary it'll be. I guess it can't be much worse than what Sony and Amazon are doing.

Hopefully they'll hold out until there's a decent screen technology available.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you can't wait, don't. Buy an Axiotron Modbook:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I am not an Apple fan, but I am a Touch fan! I personally believe that 6" or 10" Touch or OS-X tablet with a Touch/iPhone form factor and the Touch interface would be a game changer! I am continually amazed how often I surf on my Touch; the ease of zooming in and out with a pinch and dragging the screen around by simply moving my finger makes it possible. The Touch doesn't feel nearly as cramped as my original 7" Eee PC. I hope Apple realizes the potential and doesn't wait too much longer to make it happen!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote