Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
bradamant
bradamant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Books in French, Dutch, German?

I like to (try to) keep my foreign language skills up to date by reading books in foreign languages.

I recently discovered that Libri.de is offering epub books in German, and was wondering if anyone knew of online stores that had books in French or Dutch in formats the 505 can use. (Or additional places to find German ones.) Paying with a credit card and downloading the books could be really cost-effective for me compared with shipping from Europe to the U.S.!

FWIW, I'm looking for lightish recent fiction in genres like historical fiction, mystery, or fantasy. I'm sure it would be easy to find Faust or Mme. Bovary in the public domain but I can't take that kind of thing on the subway after a long day at work--that's what college was for!
bradamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I don't read either French or Dutch so I'm not really able to help too much. The 505 has been released in France and I believe Fnac (a French bookstore) sells books for it.

You could also try posting your question in the French or German sections of MobileRead.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158

Last edited by Curly; 05-30-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
bradamant

Thanks very much! It took a little surfing around, but I figured out that FNAC has a separate site for ebooks, http://livreelectronique.fnac.com/. Possibly I'll ask about Dutch books in the French forum, in case there are any Belgians around. Cheers.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradamant View Post
(Or additional places to find German ones.)
Weltbild is selling a Cybook with mobile Adobe Digital Editions but their ePubs will obviously also work on the PRS-505, see Weltbild eBooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I like to (try to) keep my foreign language skills up to date by reading books in foreign languages.

I recently discovered that Libri.de is offering epub books in German, and was wondering if anyone knew of online stores that had books in French or Dutch in formats the 505 can use. (Or additional places to find German ones.) Paying with a credit card and downloading the books could be really cost-effective for me compared with shipping from Europe to the U.S.!

FWIW, I'm looking for lightish recent fiction in genres like historical fiction, mystery, or fantasy. I'm sure it would be easy to find Faust or Mme. Bovary in the public domain but I can't take that kind of thing on the subway after a long day at work--that's what college was for!
If you try

www.manybooks.net

and click on "languages", you'll find many different ones listed.

True, these are all p.d., but well worth reading anyway! I'm sure you could find something that would appeal to you.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi bradamant, i see you've found the fnac already, to add to the other suggestions already given, there are a few other french ebookstores, take a look in the french forum for a few threads discussing / listing them. the selection of recent (non pd) books is still woefully small (not nearly comparable to english language ebooks) but little by little it's getting better, and new publishers concentrating specifically on ebooks are appearing.

also, on feedbooks.com there is french, english and spanish available ; a lot of pd, but also a lot of contemporary authors releasing their work under a cc licence. recently, paolo coelho added his work, in fact.

hopefully you'll find what you're looking for !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
bradamant

Just wanted to update and note that I've successfully purchased and read books from Libri.de and http://livreelectronique.fnac.com/. The page-numbering system is a little different than what I've seen on American ebooks but they worked like a charm.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
adriatikfan
Enthusiast
adriatikfan began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Just wanted to update and note that I've successfully purchased and read books from Libri.de and http://livreelectronique.fnac.com/. The page-numbering system is a little different than what I've seen on American ebooks but they worked like a charm.

Purchasing German books would really interest me also - and so, you had no problems whatsoever with the purchasing, download and transfer of the books?

Best Wishes
David
adriatikfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
dude123
dude123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
Hi, You could try http://lifetimeebooks.net - if gives you 11.000 ebooks for the Sony PRS only for $9.95 in multiple languages (Dutch,French,German etc.) ! it's great
dude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude123 View Post
Hi, You could try http://lifetimeebooks.net - if gives you 11.000 ebooks for the Sony PRS only for $9.95 in multiple languages (Dutch,French,German etc.) ! it's great
What makes them better/different than free sources like MR, Feedbooks and Manybooks?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
dude123
dude123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
They have a huge library of quality ebooks containing the greatest classics and new ebooks including any genre and all generated for the Sony PRS. (some examples i copied from the website of authors:Jane Austen, Joseph Conrad, Thomas Hardy, Jules Verne, Shakespeare, H Rider Haggard, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Thomas Hardy, George Eliot, George Gissing, H G Wells, Rudyard Kipling, Mark Twain, Grimm etc.)
11.000 ebooks for the price of one.. I myself think it's a great service. Instant access anywhere to all the great titles they have. But it's your opinion to give
cheers!
dude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
FULL DISCLOSURE: Be Aware

This is a site that charges $9.95 per month for PD books.

Be careful with your money. All these books are in the public domain.

Thank you,
Don (Moderator
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #13
cbordonaro
cbordonaro began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Bonjour!

New at this and somewhat confuse. I have a kindle 2 and am too looking for French books as I am a French Canadian living in LA. All those great web suggestion, will those downloads be compatible on my K2? Merci merci!
cbordonaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Aristée
Aristée began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 Pocket Edition
There is a new site for french books in Quebec, it is http://www.jelis.ca

Aristée
Aristée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
Avistew
Avistew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Hi there!

I know you said you're not looking for public domain, but:
1) they're not all boring
2) some public domain stuff is recent (and just not copyrighted)
3) other people might be interested

So here I share with you what I think is the best ressource for ebooks in French: http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/

You can sort them by authors (including some translation of English authors, actually), by type of text (short story, novel, poetry, play...) and by genre (historical, fantasy/sf...)

If you go to "news" there will be a link to download a zip file with all the files they had available at the time, in .lrf format. (or in pdf, or for mobipocket).

Although that probably won't work for you, you probably would prefer looking around and just downloading a few here and there.

They seem to be a small team but they add new content, I check back from time to time.
The only thing is that some of the books might not be public domain depending on where you are. For such books that aren't public domain everywhere, they have a warning in the summary.

Anyway, hope you'll find something you like.
Avistew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deutch, français, nederlands, online, shopping