Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
[Kindle] Free books from T. R. Pearson

T. R. Pearson, whose first novel (A Short History of a Small Place) is one of my all-time favorites, is currently offering the Kindle edition of three of his more recent novels for a good price--free!

Not sure how long this promotion lasts.

Blue Ridge

Polar

True Cross

Last edited by orange!; 07-07-2013 at 10:05 PM.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Information only:

The links all point toward Amazon.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm a huge T. R. Pearson fan.

Thank you - I picked up all three.

Don
Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Ararose
Enthusiast
Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Fire
I think this one is free too?

Warwolf
Ararose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Information only:

The links all point toward Amazon.

Don
(Moderator)
Thanks for clarifying the message. I'm still learning my way around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararose View Post

Warwolf
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm a huge T. R. Pearson fan.

Thank you - I picked up all three.

Don
Me too. He writes stuff that is poignant and simultaneously laugh-out-loud-funny. "Bittersweet" is the adjective that usually comes to mind.

Not sure why he isn't better known, although I admit his digression-centric style probably isn't for everyone.

Last edited by orange!; 07-08-2013 at 09:41 AM.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never heard of this author (perhaps he's better known in the US than elsewhere?), but I've picked up the free books to take a look.

Thanks for the recommendation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I was curious if and why TR Pearson had ditched his big publisher, and I found this thread. I think you guys might find it interesting:

http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...on-for-readers

And also... did you guys notice he gave a credit to the ebook formatter? I've never seen that before! From the book description:

Ebook formatting by R.L. Parker for the best possible electronic reading experience.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
Thanks got all three books
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararose View Post

Warwolf

Got it!

Thank you.

Don
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never heard of this author (perhaps he's better known in the US than elsewhere?), but I've picked up the free books to take a look.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I think you're right, Harry.

His earlier works (which I own as ARCs and in First Edition Hardback) are hilarious reads, but I think they resonate most with Americans. He can be compared (in my opinion) to Mark Twain and William Faulkner - Twain in the humor and Faulkner in a bit of his style.

His mysteries are completely different in style from his earlier, literary works, especially in their accessibility.

Don
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I was curious if and why TR Pearson had ditched his big publisher, and I found this thread. I think you guys might find it interesting:

http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...on-for-readers

And also... did you guys notice he gave a credit to the ebook formatter? I've never seen that before! From the book description:

Ebook formatting by R.L. Parker for the best possible electronic reading experience.

eP

The ebook formatter has screwed up on the indents for paragraphs. They vary from paragraph to paragraph. This is in inexcusable, in my opinion, and especially since this is an author whom I collect in hardcover. (I'm fortunate to have an autographed Uncorrected Proof.) To see mismatched indents on this ebook is frankly embarrassing.

T.R. Pearson - this wonderful and neglected writer of some of the most brilliant and loving fiction - deservess so much better than this.

ADDED: Fortunately, calbire may be able to fix this. I'll try the Heuristic mode to see what happens.

Don
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Thanks, they are also available free at amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/Warwolf-ebook/dp/B0058TUNRS

http://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Ridge-ebook/dp/B00DT3S0I4

http://www.amazon.ca/True-Cross-ebook/dp/B00DT3WWTM

http://www.amazon.ca/Polar-ebook/dp/B00DT3WYPO

I've not yet read any of his work, but the opening sentences look interesting.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to reading them. They are still free today.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

To clarify about the horrible formatting:

Warwolf is the title with the mismatched indents.

Inexcusable, to let a work by this author (or any author, for that matter) to be made available in such a shoddy way.

Let's hope this is corrected immediately.

Don
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I liked Warwolf so much that I pickep up A Short History of a Small Place (unfortunately not on sale at CDN$ 13.99, but a good deal averaged out with the freebies )

Some more of Pearson's books are at a good price at amazon. I'm going on a Pearson summer reading binge.

http://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Gap-ebook/dp/B004RZGZ4O $0.94
http://www.amazon.ca/Jerusalem-Gap-ebook/dp/B004RZGZ4O CDN$ 0.99

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Scare-ebook/dp/B004S2U4CA $0.94
http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Scare-ebook/dp/B004S2U4CA CDN$ 0.99

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Sweet-Here.../dp/B00BV797OG $2.91
http://www.amazon.ca/Off-Sweet-Herea.../dp/B00BV797OG CDN$ 3.08

http://www.amazon.com/Cry-Me-A-River.../dp/B005OKB0LE $2.83
http://www.amazon.ca/Cry-Me-A-River-ebook/dp/B005OKB0LE CDN$ 2.99

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Response-.../dp/0671639927 $2.83
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote