Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Killing Our Monsters: On Stephen King’s Magic by Sarah Langan

http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.p...775&fulltext=1

In defense of Stephen King
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Stephen King needs no defense. Except when it comes to the decreasing quality of his work starting in the 90s... (only good in the 90s was Needful Things, Four Past Midnight, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Dolores Claiborne, Insomnia and The Green Mile. His only good book past Bag of Bones, and the only one I was able to bring myself to finish reading!, was Dreamcatcher :/) 70 & 80s were mostly great, with only a couple of duds, of course.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I never cared for King. I've read most of his books due to hype and I think the only good novel of his is The Long Walk.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
The article in the OP seems a bit of a "backhanded" compliment and tears down King as much as lifting him up. Some of the things I agree with, but others I do not.

I also followed the article's link back to the original article for which this one was a rebuttal. It was reasons why the contributor of that particular article has resisted reading King over the years. To me, at least, it seemed less derogatory of King's work than the defending article.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Stephen King needs no defense. Except when it comes to the decreasing quality of his work starting in the 90s...
I wouldn't call it a decrease in quality, just a complication of his style to reflect broadening influences. It's probably the reason I can still read King whereas most of the horror/thriller authors I read in high school have lost all appeal. I haven't read everything King's put out in the past ten years or so, but I've read some good ones, including Duma Key, Full Dark No Stars, 11/22/63 and The Wind Through the Keyhole. I enjoyed From a Buick 8 quite a bit, too, though I wouldn't rate it among his best work. Even Cell and Under the Dome, which I would call two of his worse novels, still had B-movie entertainment value.

Dreamcatcher, though, was pretty awful. It was just wandering, muddled schmaltz. I actually liked the movie better than the book, probably for everything they cut out.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Have to agree, Dreamcatcher is one of his worst books EVAH. Just an opinion though. Under the Dome was disappointing too, silly recycled characters, good guys were silly good, bad guys were silly bad, silly ending. Maybe its just me though, I've read a lot of his stuff and have aged considerably since I first read The Stand, which is when I became a fan.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So what are we doing in this thread, bashing or worshiping Stephen King ?
I just wanna brainlessly go with the flow
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
I have never been a huge fan of King's. Some of his work is interesting, much of it becomes boring long before I finish it. He is one of the few writers who I often put down and take up again days or weeks later. The primary reason I have read any of his work at all is that I am known by family and friends as a keen reader and I have been getting his "bestselling" books as gifts for decades. I have never bought one myself and would not consider doing so; there are always (in my opinion) better choices.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
When he is "on," he is very readable and can make the pages fly by. I second the mention of 11/22/63 and Full Dark, No Stars as being excellent recent work of his. I have to admit I did give up on Under the Dome.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I'm a big-time Stephen King fan, having read all of his books up to Lisey's Story (2006). I'm with JD Gumby in complaining about the decreasing quality of his work from the 90s on... Nevertheless, I did enjoy Dreamcatcher, Black House, Everything's Eventual (he writes killer short stories) (not Buick 8, though - it felt just flat and pointless to me). The last 3 Dark Tower books were rather disappointing, though.

Regarding Dreamcatcher, I thought it was a pretty good book. The movie, on the other hand, was just awful. They managed to completely miss the point of the book, changing fundamental elements of the story, while adding nonsensical stuff. It's not even close to It or Pet Sematary, but I found it very entertaining.

But I'm probably in the minority here, since I actually liked Tommyknockers and Christine
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
But I'm probably in the minority here, since I actually liked Tommyknockers and Christine
I've never heard anyone have anything bad to say about either of those books. I think I read Tommyknockers three times as a teenager. Dreamcatcher seemed like largely a retread of the same premise (alien possession), and I'd throw it together with Cell and Under the Dome as being almost nothing but a premise, with forgettable characters and none of the "resonance" the article linked in the OP talks about.

Personally I think King had his duds in the '70s and '80s, too. The Shining and The Dead Zone were dull, wandering and maudlin, and Firestarter was just okay. I'm not sure if I've read Cycle of the Werewolf, though I thought I'd read all his stuff up through the early 'aughts. Looking at his bibliography, there was a long dull spell after Needful Things broken up by Dark Tower books, but otherwise mostly misses until he hit his stride again around 2008 (though I haven't read Lisey's Story, and some people liked it quite a bit).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
MidnightBlue
écureuil secret
MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I've never heard anyone have anything bad to say about either of those books. I think I read Tommyknockers three times as a teenager. Dreamcatcher seemed like largely a retread of the same premise (alien possession), and I'd throw it together with Cell and Under the Dome as being almost nothing but a premise, with forgettable characters and none of the "resonance" the article linked in the OP talks about.

Personally I think King had his duds in the '70s and '80s, too. The Shining and The Dead Zone were dull, wandering and maudlin, and Firestarter was just okay. I'm not sure if I've read Cycle of the Werewolf, though I thought I'd read all his stuff up through the early 'aughts. Looking at his bibliography, there was a long dull spell after Needful Things broken up by Dark Tower books, but otherwise mostly misses until he hit his stride again around 2008 (though I haven't read Lisey's Story, and some people liked it quite a bit).
I envy people who can re-read books. They will never run out of things to read. Once I have read something it would be a chore to read it again. There would be no pleasure in it.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
Regarding Dreamcatcher, I thought it was a pretty good book. The movie, on the other hand, was just awful. They managed to completely miss the point of the book, changing fundamental elements of the story, while adding nonsensical stuff.
I dunno. Given previous King adaptations, I figure they did a pretty good job - right up until the ending. An even worse alteration to the ending than The Mist (the army coming to save the day just as the lead suicides, instead of the ending which gave him a shred of hope) or Cujo (where Danny Pintaro lives).

Quote:
Tommyknockers (the book) was good, the miniseries mostly garbage. Christine is one of his best books (for me, right behind The Dead Zone [also a great movie], Firestarter [not a bad movie], and IT), but the movie is mediocre - not bad for an adaptation, but nothing special.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I envy people who can re-read books. They will never run out of things to read. Once I have read something it would be a chore to read it again. There would be no pleasure in it.
I am a major re-reader. It's like having more servings of a favorite dessert.

Much like people who revisit their favorite restaurant on a date, I enjoy re-reading books that I've enjoyed. I lost count of the number of times, for instance, that I read Anne of Green Gables, and all the subsequent books, by the time I was a teenager.

I'm the same way with my DVDs. The ability to re-watch whenever I want. Our family likes rewatching movies, but not nearly to the extent that I do.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I am a major re-reader. It's like having more servings of a favorite dessert.

Much like people who revisit their favorite restaurant on a date, I enjoy re-reading books that I've enjoyed. I lost count of the number of times, for instance, that I read Anne of Green Gables, and all the subsequent books, by the time I was a teenager.
Nothing wrong with "comfort re-reading". With me it's mostly fantasy books. Eg, I regularly re-read LOTR and David Eddings' "Belgariad" series because I enjoy them so much.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote