Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #346
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Change * to *? and it will only catch until ‘bout.

Still, you don't want to miss any of those, you could also have:

‘em the cat sat on the mat ‘foo ‘bout

My suggestion is running either of the regexes and replace every instance with something else (say ¬rsquo; or ¬lsquo;, literally) so you can be sure you have checked all of them and they don't stand in the way. Once there's nothing left, replace them back with ‘ and ’.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #347
Skeeve
Zealot
Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1 no touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Change * to *? and it will only catch until ‘bout.

Still, you don't want to miss any of those, you could also have:

‘em the cat sat on the mat ‘foo ‘bout
Maybe I do not know enough about correct quoting in english, but couldn't this be one of these 3 interpretations?
  1. em the cat sat on the mat ‘foo ‘bout
  2. ‘em the cat sat on the mat ‘foo ‘bout
  3. ‘em the cat sat on the mat ‘foobout
Skeeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #348
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeve View Post
Maybe I do not know enough about correct quoting in english, but couldn't this be one of these 3 interpretations?
  1. em the cat sat on the mat ‘foo ‘bout
  2. ‘em the cat sat on the mat ‘foo ‘bout
  3. ‘em the cat sat on the mat ‘foobout
Yep, that's why you need a human who understands the language and knows that 'em and 'bout are contractions, so the correct form is:

’em the cat sat on the mat ‘foo ’bout
Old 04-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #349
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Thanks all,

I've since been building a search group in sigil with entries like these.
Quote:
‘em([\p{P}|\s])
\‘([Cc])ause([\p{P}|\s])
\‘([Bb])out([\p{P}|\s])
etc. etc
This catches the common ones and I'm using the others from here as a second pass.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #350
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yep, that's why you need a human who understands the language and knows that 'em and 'bout are contractions, so the correct form is:

’em the cat sat on the mat ‘foo ’bout
That is what " vs. ' is about. If used properly there should be no confusion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #351
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That is what " vs. ' is about. If used properly there should be no confusion.

Dale
Do you mean that, even when one is using single quotes in a book, double quotes should be used for this?

'em the cat sat on the mat "foo 'bout"
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #352
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I thought the double quotes were more US-style and single quotes more UK-style.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #353
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is confusing because apostrophe is used in contractions, but is also used in quotes within quotes ie Bill said,"You know John said, 'Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.' and then walked away." It also depends on the time the book was written too. One of the worst things about English is that most of it is irregular and the rest is borrowed from other languages.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #354
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I thought the double quotes were more US-style and single quotes more UK-style.
Yes, but both use the opposite quotes for nesting and to avoid confusion. I suspect the reason the US starts with double quotes is that there is more likely to be contractions, but that is only conjecture. Neither country uses one or the other exclusively.

Dale
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #355
Skeeve
Zealot
Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1 no touch
There are so many quotes one could use:

„German style“
„German Style ‚with quoted quotes‘ look like this“
»German Chevrons ›with quoted‹ quote«
«Swiss Guillemets ‹with quoted› quote»
« French guillemets ‹ with quoted › quote »

I think there is more…
Skeeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #356
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yes, please:

„German style”
„German Style ‚with quoted quotes’ look like this”

Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #357
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeve View Post
There are so many quotes one could use:

„German style“
„German Style ‚with quoted quotes‘ look like this“
»German Chevrons ›with quoted‹ quote«
«Swiss Guillemets ‹with quoted› quote»
« French guillemets ‹ with quoted › quote »

I think there is more…
There are more variations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...uotation_marks and that list is not even complete if you look at history. For example in an obscure period some publishers used Guillemets in Dutch books. Quite rare, but they do exist. Most word processors that support smart quotes only support one kind per country alas.
I had to take all into account in my programming and make it user selectable due to this.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #358
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
There are more variations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...uotation_marks and that list is not even complete if you look at history. For example in an obscure period some publishers used Guillemets in Dutch books. Quite rare, but they do exist. Most word processors that support smart quotes only support one kind per country alas.
I had to take all into account in my programming and make it user selectable due to this.
Even in English I have seen cases where double quotes were contained inside curly double quotes. In addition to the double/single switching alternately.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #359
brunello
brunello began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab3 7''
Question Find and replace selective broken words - highlights last chapter word

First of all, I apologize for my English.
I have 2 problems that I would like to solve with regex:

1) Can I replace all the broken words (for example: hou-se), except for a list of words to ignore (for example: hang-up)?

2) How can I highlight only the last word of a paragraph?
I tried with "\ s \ w +. </ p>" but unfortunately does not see special characters, such as "à" or "»"

thanks

Last edited by brunello; 05-25-2014 at 02:34 PM.
brunello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #360
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunello View Post
1) Can I replace all the broken words (for example: hou-se), except for a list of words to ignore (for example: hang-up)?
not really a way to reasonably exclude words. if you're breaks are always between two letters you may as well just search for a hyphen using 'Replace/Find' in Sigil. it'd probably only take a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunello View Post
2) How can I highlight only the last word of a paragraph?
I tried with "\ s \ w +. </ p>" but unfortunately does not see special characters, such as "à" or "»"
this should work for #2:
Code:
(?<=\s)[^\s<]+(?=</p>)
it's looking for:

one or more of anything that is not a space or a <
[^\s<]+

which is preceded by a space
(?<=\s)

and which is followed by a </p>
(?=</p>)

hope that helps!

Last edited by mzmm; 05-27-2014 at 06:31 PM.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote