Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
nagus69
nagus69 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hacking the 3.0 K3 firmware into DXG

Anyone tried this? Since its open source, i had a brief look (don't own any of these devices so wouldn't know).

In particular i was thinking to get the code for the PDF reader from the K3 into the DXG firmware for obvious reasons.

Tried to search for it here and on Google but couldn't find anything.
nagus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Any link to the K3 3.0.3 firmware source ?
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Kindle source code is here. It is only 3.0 and 3.0.1 though as it seems Amazon only release the source once a particular firmware goes into release status. 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 are preview releases.

Not every component of the Kindle software is open source. The actual reader application itself is closed source along with the libraries it uses and the PDF reader is part of that closed source portion.

The source release for 3.0.1 contains the following:

alsa-lib-1.0.13_patch.tar.gz
alsa-lib-1.0.13.tar.bz2
alsa-utils-1.0.13_patch.tar.gz
alsa-utils-1.0.13.tar.bz2
atk-1.26.0.tar.bz2
base-passwd_3.5.9.tar.gz
busybox-1.7.2.tar.bz2
cairo-1.8.6.tar.bz2
DirectFB-1.2.0.tar.bz2
dosfstools-2.11.tar.bz2
e2fsprogs-1.38_patch.tar.gz
e2fsprogs-1.38.tar.gz
enchant-1.4.2.tar.bz2
fuse-2.7.1_link.tar
fuse-2.7.1.tar.gz
gcc-4.1.2.tar.bz2
gdb-6.6.tar.bz2
glib-2.22.2.tar.bz2
glibc-2.5.tar.bz2
gnutls-2.8.4.tar.bz2
gst-plugins-base-0.10.17.tar.bz2
gst-plugins-base-0.10.6.tar.bz2
gst-plugins-good-0.10.6.tar.bz2
gstreamer-0.10.17.tar.bz2
gtk+-2.16.5.tar.bz2
ifupdown_0.6.8.tar.gz
iptables-1.3.3.tar.bz2
libgcrypt-1.4.4.tar.bz2
libgpg-error-1.4.tar.bz2
libltdl.tar.bz2
libol-0.3.18.tar.gz
libproxy-0.2.3.tar.bz2
libsoup-2.30.0.tar.bz2
libvolume-id_092-r16+L126DEBUG_armv6.ipk
linux-2.6.26-lab126.tar.bz2
lrzsz-0.12.20.tar.gz
lzo-1.08.tar.gz
module-init-tools-3.2.2_patch.tar.gz
module-init-tools-3.2.2.tar.bz2
mtd-utils-1.0.0.tar.gz
pango-1.24.5.tar.bz2
pango-1.6.0.tar.bz2
picocom-1.4.tar.gz
powertop-1.10.tar.gz
procps-3.2.7_patch.tar.gz
procps-3.2.7.tar.gz
syslog-ng-1.6.11.tar.gz
sysvinit-2.86.tar.gz
taglib-1.5.tar.bz2
uboot-1.3.0-rc3.tar.bz2
udev-112.tar.bz2
util-linux-2.12r.tar.bz2
webkit.tar.bz2
wireless_tools.29.tar.gz
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
nagus69

No one dares or actually tried to exchange the PDF files from the K3 with the DXG?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagus69 View Post
No one dares or actually tried to exchange the PDF files from the K3 with the DXG?
Its not a standalone application and is completely different from a DXG which is still running 2.x firmware and the K3 which is running 3.x firmware.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
nagus69

Ah ok - damn. I thought it would be possible to just exchange some files and get the DXG users the PDF features from the K3.

Thanks for the reply guys and happy xmas. Maybe Amazon will bless us with a new Kindle Software in the next year. Supposedly they will start to sell them in Germany directly beginning 2011 so there is hope
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Amazon sucks (regarding KDXG firmware )
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Amazon sucks (regarding KDXG firmware )
True that.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I actually got 3.0.1 working on the Kindle 2. I bricked it doing other stupid stuff later so I lost all the work (it's still on the dead kindle. If I get get the recovery port working, I can post exactly what I did). From what I remember, I did stuff like (don't do just that and expect it to work, I spent a week trying different things. The most extreme was recompiling java, so I'm generalizing ALOT):

1) Replace /etc /usr /opt /bin /sbin and /usr from my Kindle 3 to the Kindle 2. Also copy/replace everything from /lib EXCEPT modules
1a) The filesystem is not large enough on the K2, so I deleted TTS files.
2) In /etc/kdb.src, I made a new folder "mario", copied everything from "luigi" and customized the settings to match that of K2 (a pain finding the old settings from various folders), then modified the kdb settings to use mario.
3) Ran /etc/init.d/framework restart, while in another session I kept "dmesg"-ing to find what errors if any. After correcting all errors, it should be working.

I had everything pretty much working. Browser was extremely buggy and slow (probity not enough ram), and PDF crashes (maybe ram problem, maybe a library link problem, I never checked). And I even got a "Thanks for upgrading to Kindle 3" notice.

Also, I think to get everything working, you need a newer kernel (I think the browser and the pdf reader uses a newer framebuffer driver). You'll need to take the kindle 3 kernel source, find all the changes (diff), modify them to match kindle 2. Then take the kindle 2 kernel source, get the mario.conf file, modify it to include features in the kindle 3 kernel, but keep features for the kindle 2 (keypad, etc) and cross-compile it.

BEWARE: This is for really advanced kindle hackers only. If you don't have access to the recovery ports, DO NOT do this. After I bricked my Kindle, I now always make sure to get recovery ports working first before doing any hacks. Also back up you rootfs if you're going to do this.

P.S: The "open source" is useless. All the actual kindle OS stuff (the UI you see) are proprietary java code and not open source. The open source is the backend including the bootloader, the linux kernel, and various linux tools. They are all incompatible with the kindle 2 anyways, so it's pretty useless unless you want to recompile the kernel.

EDIT: If you just want the new PDF reader, I think it would be easier to just recompile the kernel to be newer (see above), then replace the libpdfs in /usr/lib and/or /lib with the newer ones, and possibly decompile the kindlelet os and make the pdf launcher load the new class name and replace the pdf kindlet jar. (Not really easy, but I think it's easier). Personally, I would just wait for the Kindle 3 DX.

Last edited by yifanlu; 12-25-2010 at 09:46 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
nagus69

Thx for the input. Any l33t infos when the Kindle 3 DX is due?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
what is the difference between the two?
as far as I can see the storage is the same, but the only difference I can see is the screen size
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1971 View Post
what is the difference between the two?
as far as I can see the storage is the same, but the only difference I can see is the screen size
DX is basically Kindle 2 with a different screen and a accelerator.

Kindle 3 has double the ram, twice the linux filesystem size, newer kernel, different OS structure (same os), different keypad & fourway drivers, wifi, and other small stuff.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote