Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
zigzagz
zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Warning: Security Advisory for Adobe Reader and Acrobat

https://www.adobe.com/support/securi...apsa13-02.html

Protected View is Turned Off by default. Users must go into settings to turn this On otherwise their systems will be vulnerable to attacks.
zigzagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Adobe is aware of reports that these vulnerabilities are being exploited in the wild in targeted attacks designed to trick Windows users into clicking on a malicious PDF file delivered in an email message.
I would hope people on this forum aren't dumb enough to try to open stuff in rogue emails. If it's not from someone you know, don't open it. If it is from someone you know, make sure they truly sent it.

No need to start panicking and altering your Adobe settings...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
zigzagz
zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zigzagz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...on-by-default/
zigzagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I wouldn't call it panicking to mention enabling a security feature that protects against an active exploit. Really it's a feature most people should have on by default and only disable when they really really need to open a PDF that makes use of a disabled feature (at which point you can be extra careful about where it came from).

This likely won't impact most users who are careful about who they open attachements from, however it is a real threat because the emails are not generic, they're highly targeted. They include details that may be relevant to your current work and appear to come from a co-worker. Or, it may be an email from your kids sports team with an updated calendar of events. There's a lot of information that can be obtained about a person via forums, company websites and social networking sites that allow emails to seem so genuine that they're bound to catch people out.

Even if this exploit wasn't in the wild, I think it would be prudent for people to go for the more secure settings by default and gradually back off for the odd pdf. Same as blocking javascript/flash and other plugins on websites by default and backing off the settings on the few websites you use that really do need it.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I would hope people on this forum aren't dumb enough to try to open stuff in rogue emails. If it's not from someone you know, don't open it. If it is from someone you know, make sure they truly sent it.

Email accounts are being hacked into, one of mine was yesterday. I can no longer access it and my email provider is ignoring my inquiries, so who knows who is receiving emails from "me"!!

Last edited by xendula; 02-15-2013 at 10:56 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
If it is from someone you know, make sure they truly sent it.
Do you call them on the phone and ask them?
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
If it's coworkers, always. My friends usually don't send me PDFs unless I ask them for something.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Adobe stuff? Security flaws? Get out.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Once you turn protected mode on, every time you open a pdf, you get a big bright yellow nag banner at the top of the document, basically telling you to turn it off.

I hate Adobe.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Email accounts are being hacked into, one of mine was yesterday. I can no longer access it and my email provider is ignoring my inquiries, so who knows who is receiving emails from "me"!!
Gmail is pretty secured if you turn on the features. I have mine set up you have to text my cell in order to log in. This can also be a pain but it's worth it. I had this account hacked years ago before they added all the security stuff. Of course password and security questions are important too.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
It's very easy to send email with any email address.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I would hope people on this forum aren't dumb enough to try to open stuff in rogue emails.
Why? This is a forum for people who read ebooks. I don't see any reason to think that reading ebooks indicates a higher-than-usual level of computer literacy.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Gmail is pretty secured if you turn on the features. I have mine set up you have to text my cell in order to log in. This can also be a pain but it's worth it. I had this account hacked years ago before they added all the security stuff. Of course password and security questions are important too.
My gmail accounts are safe and sound. Ymail not so much - there is no way of retreiving a new pw, and now I am completely blocked off. I called the CS number as well - many times - and once I go through the entire spiel of dial this for that, four levels into the call system, I get a message that they can't currently take calls and to go to their online help pages, which are completely ridiculous. The account was linked with another account, so no idea why they make it so difficult - I just regret I ever trusted them enough to get an email address through them. Their answer can't be to just close people's accounts or let strangers continue to use them (I obviously don't know what the case is here)!

Last edited by xendula; 02-18-2013 at 07:06 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
For the average user, Adobe Reader is far from the best choice of PDF viewer program. In fact, I don't know a worse one.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
For the average user, Adobe Reader is far from the best choice of PDF viewer program. In fact, I don't know a worse one.
I agree, and refuse to install Adobe Reader on any of my computers.

I use Sumatra PDF instead: http://download.cnet.com/Sumatra-PDF...-10698785.html

It doesn't have the vulnerabilities that Adobe Reader and some other PDF readers have. It doesn't have a lot of features, but it's small, light, safe and reliable.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote