Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes I do have a 16 GB card in. I will check the links you mentioned.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #32
Zorglab
Zorglab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST-T1
Another thank for Jackie_w, and one question :
I have a Sony PRS-T1 and would like to know if it is possible to set it in order to have the same type of books sort as shown at the ned of your post in the attached thumnails (prs505 and prs650). If yes how.
Thank again
Zorglab
Zorglab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #33
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorglab View Post
Another thank for Jackie_w, and one question :
I have a Sony PRS-T1 and would like to know if it is possible to set it in order to have the same type of books sort as shown at the ned of your post in the attached thumnails (prs505 and prs650). If yes how.
Thank again
Zorglab
Hi Zorglab, Welcome to MobileRead.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that you followed the instructions, but your PRST1 does not look similar to the thumbnails (a PRST1 would be more like the PRS650 pic than the PRS505 pic)? If so, can you be more specific about what you are seeing instead?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
Zorglab

No, I was thinking about how to have the "letter" column on the rigth (I don't know how to call it : excuse me for my poor english).
Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #35
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorglab View Post
No, I was thinking about how to have the "letter" column on the rigth (I don't know how to call it : excuse me for my poor english).
Ahh, no, I'm afraid the letter-index down the right was a feature of the earlier Sony models PRS350/650 (and 950 ???).

On the PRST1 the best you can do to quickly scan through all your books is to open the book list using the 'Books' button from the Home screen. Then tap on the page numbers at the bottom of the screen. This will pop up a slider bar which cycles through the book info of the first book on each page. So if your books are displayed 'sort by author' then you will cycle through author names, which, if you followed the long post actually shows
author (lastname, firstname) - series index_number
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #36
Zorglab

OK, too bad Sony keep this feature in T1. Thank you again for your help.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #37
Montezuma
Montezuma began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Great explanation jackie_w, Thank you.
Montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #38
sharky
sharky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks a lot for this excellent "tutorial"!

I tried to extend this a bit to my personal needs and have a question. What I want to do is generate collections for author-language combinations (i.e., one collection for all author books within one language).

I added a custom column with template "{authors} ({language})" and look-up name author_lang. Then, in Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - SONY PRST1 - Customize I set #author_lang in the "comma separated list of .." field.

This seems to work quite well, except that the collection field when copying a book to the e-reader is now filled with: author (language) (author_lang), i.s.o. only author (language).

Any ideas how I can get rid of the trailing (author_lang)?
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Thanks a lot for this excellent "tutorial"!

I tried to extend this a bit to my personal needs and have a question. What I want to do is generate collections for author-language combinations (i.e., one collection for all author books within one language).

I added a custom column with template "{authors} ({language})" and look-up name author_lang. Then, in Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - SONY PRST1 - Customize I set #author_lang in the "comma separated list of .." field.

This seems to work quite well, except that the collection field when copying a book to the e-reader is now filled with: author (language) (author_lang), i.s.o. only author (language).

Any ideas how I can get rid of the trailing (author_lang)?
Yes... I believe it's default behaviour to have the name of a custom column in brackets when creating the Collection name. I don't think the same is true for a calibre standard column (e.g. tags or authors).

You need to visit Prefs - Tweaks and from the Tweaks list down the left-hand side find the one called Specify renaming rules for SONY collections. Then read the Help notes in the top panel (it's v-e-r-y l-o-n-g and detailed). I believe it exists for those who want to combine several categories into one Collection, or who want to create several different Collections and know which is which.

This is not a Tweak I use myself, but I think you may get what you want if you change the default
Code:
sony_collection_name_template = '{value}{category:| (|)}'
to
Code:
sony_collection_name_template = '{value}'
but you'll need to 'read and inwardly digest' in case I've got it wrong
Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #40
sharky
sharky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1

Exactly as you expected! Thanks for showing, strange that I could not find this one myself
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #41
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
newbie help: what did I do wrong?

First, thank you to jackie_w for the clear and concise post!

However, I think I've done something wrong along the way. I'm moving my library from KoboTouch to my new T1 via Calibre. I loaded the 2 'series sort' metadata plugboards as follows:

{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>5.1f} - {title}

They are showing up in the correct order under collections tab. But my library itself is showing up sorted by author's first name. ie, first author is 'Adam Creed' and not 'Lara Adrian'.

How do I fix that? I'm not even sure it's a Calibre/metadata problem, this may be something else in setup that I missed?
Also, I checked the 2 images on the first page of this thread, and realize none of the series data is showing up under main 'books'. It shows name of book and author only, nothing about which series it belongs to or which number it is in that series, it's the same under main books or collections, although as I said, they do show in the correct order under collections.
ie 'Twlight' shows up under the collection "The Twilight Saga" and it shows as the first book under collections page. But under Books, it just shows as Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

Also, how the heck do you 'close' a book when you're done? And have it show as 'read'?

Last edited by Blue2u; 06-15-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: whole lot of clarification and more inane questions
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #42
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I am confused. You say you set the 2 metadata plugboards as
Code:
the {title} bit is not needed in my example plugboards

On your PRST1, in the full Booklist (i.e. after using the Books menu item, not the Collections one):
  • what have you set the sort method to (little button at the top with an a-z label)? Sort by 'Author' is probably the most useful.
  • Using an example of an 'incorrect' book from the Booklist , what do you see on the Title line and on the Author line underneath?

Select the same book in your calibre library, open the Edit Metadata window. What do you have in the following fields?
Author(s),
Author sort,
Title
Series,
Series number
Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #43
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, didn't see your extra questions before I posted.

Have you checked this part of my instructions?

Quote:
Just a caveat here... if you're using a metadata plugboard to remap the Sony's Author field then you should make sure that Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony (or SONY PRST1) - Customize - Use author sort for author is UNCHECKED. Otherwise your plugboard info will be overwritten by the simple author_sort field.
The PRST1 doesn't have a 'mark as read' function that I know of. There is a special Collection called 'Unread Books' which lists all the books you haven't opened yet. Personally I delete books from the reader as soon as I've read them and mark them as 'Read' in the calibre library.

Another option, suppose you are using Tags to define your Collections then if you add a 'Read' tag (in calibre) when you finish the book, the book would automatically appear in the 'Read' Collection on your PRST1 next time you connect.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Sorry, didn't see your extra questions before I posted.

Have you checked this part of my instructions?

The PRST1 doesn't have a 'mark as read' function that I know of. There is a special Collection called 'Unread Books' which lists all the books you haven't opened yet. Personally I delete books from the reader as soon as I've read them and mark them as 'Read' in the calibre library.

Another option, suppose you are using Tags to define your Collections then if you add a 'Read' tag (in calibre) when you finish the book, the book would automatically appear in the 'Read' Collection on your PRST1 next time you connect.
Thank you SO much for your quick reply!
I just looked, it is unchecked.

Quote:
I am confused. You say you set the 2 metadata plugboards as

Code:
{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>5.1f} - {title}the {title} bit is not needed in my example plugboards

This was from original 'how to' towards the bottom on sorting larger series

Quote:
or perhaps

Code:
{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>5.1f} - {title}results in: Christie, Agatha - Hercule Poirot 015.0 - Death on the Nile
Quote:
On your PRST1, in the full Booklist (i.e. after using the Books menu item, not the Collections one):
what have you set the sort method to (little button at the top with an a-z label)? Sort by 'Author' is probably the most useful.
Yes, just simple 'by author' is what I use[d].

Quote:
Select the same book in your calibre library, open the Edit Metadata window. What do you have in the following fields?
Author(s),
Author sort,
Title
Series,
Series number

Title: Twilight
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Author sort: Meyer, Stephenie
Series: The Twilight Saga
Series Number: 1

I appreciate your help so much, since you mentioned the {title} tag in your first post, do you think that's what it is? I will just edit it to one of the plugboards mentioned earlier on in your instructions. I just wanted the series short to show ".5" for books that fall as 'in between' series and that's why I chose that setting further down your instructions.

I am running out and will look at this tomorrow, but thank you again SO much for your help and your initial how-to, as I said, I'm sure it's something I messed up!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #45
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Ah no, this is a misunderstanding of what I meant.

Use this as 'Template' in step 3 (Define how you want to SORT Sony Collections)
Code:
and use this as 'Source template' of both Metadata Plugboards
Code:
{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>5.1f}
Using your example, you should see on the PRST1
1st line: Twilight
2nd line: Meyer, Stephenie - The Twilight Saga 001.0

If it's still not working then perhaps you should try doing it in 2 stages:
  • Revisit the instructions, check every step and use exact same settings as I used for the PRST1. Connect PRST1 to calibre. Once its finished its connection routine, disconnect. Make sure all the series info is visible. Does your reader Booklist now resemble the PRS650 image (without the rolodex initials down the righthand side)?
  • If 'no', I'm stumped
  • If 'yes', you can go back to the steps above and replace
    Code:
    {series_index:0>2s}
    with
    Code:
    {series_index:0>5.1f}
    in all the templates.

P.S I'm glad you're going out. It's 2:30am here, I'm off to bed.