Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #91
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
- It's stuck on Android 4.0, which came out about 18 months ago. Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean brought many enhancements to the OS, not the least of which was a noticeable improvement in overall performance.

- While they did just release an update to allow access to Google Play, many apps apparently aren't compatible with the device. You also can't sideload apps, which makes this even worse.
There are millions of Android phones out there that don't even have 4.0. It's not like the apps in Play are going to just pass everything by that doesn't get updated.

Quote:
- It's a heavily skinned version of Android, and I think it's vastly inferior to stock Android or even Touchwiz.
Some of us like it (for what it is)

Quote:
- Barnes and Noble isn't exactly in the best shape right now. How much customer support can you expect in the future?
Not sure where you're getting this. What does their quarterly earnings have to do with the quality of service?

Quote:
- Gaining root access is much more difficult than other Android device.
All I had to do was boot from an SD card. If you can't do that, then you probably don't need root access to begin with.

Quote:
- Practically no development support. CM10.1 is running on it, but it's not exactly stable or bug free.
Agreed.

Quote:
Unless you really, really need that screen size, I would say to just wait for the updated Nexus 7 that is likely to be announced in a couple weeks. It'll likely be $200, have a 1080p screen, and be much more powerful than the HD+. It'll also ship with an unmolested version of Android 4.3, putting it even further ahead the Nook in terms of software.
I need that screen size. I read a lot of PDFs. With the 9" screen I don't have to zoom and scroll around like I do on a 7" screen.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #92
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I see people worried about B&N going out of business, stopping software or hardware support, and few more comments like that. But Honestly, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Not saying it is impossible, but not a near future possible thing, in my opinion.

To me, these tablets life span is about 2 to 3 years. Keeping it longer than that, even if the company is not out of business, is like streching it too much. I doubt after 3 years any company would be still updating software for those devices.

Just enjoy life! Get it if you like it and have the money. As long as the ebook is DRM free, I see no problem. Moving or using those on a different hardware should not be a problem.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #93
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
This is so awesome! I was just about to sell my HD since I just got a Note 2, but now it's been passed down to my son, who is in Minecraft heaven, lol.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #94
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Once you buy something in the Play app store it's available across all your devices (you log in with your Google ID). As long as the app is compatible with a given device that is.
I know that is supposed to be how it works but I've seen comments that some PLAY commercial apps aren't showing up for installation on the Nooks, specifically. I wanted to know it if was prevalent or rare.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #95
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I know that is supposed to be how it works but I've seen comments that some PLAY commercial apps aren't showing up for installation on the Nooks, specifically. I wanted to know it if was prevalent or rare.
That is also true but I think is because incompatibility issues. For example, if you look for CBS news, it does not show up. But if you open the Chrome browser and look for the Android link, it will bring you directly to the app, which did not show up before, but it will say it is incompatible.

On my experience, those I was not able to install are just a few and because somehow, use GPS or location for its basic functions, like news, some weather apps I think and banking.

I guess, not totally sure, that games and reading apps, should work. I was able to re-download RepliGo, MoonReader without issues, even Kindle for Android.
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #96
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
PvZ is not compatible through the Play Store for the HD+, I paid $.99 back when and it is $4.99 on Nook's store. Maybe that is why it is not compatible?

I am unsure what might happen if one tries to buy an App through Play Store that costs less than the nook store has it and there is no software compatibility issue.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #97
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There's no fun in Mudville today.

I have the Nook Color.

:furi ous3:

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #98
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Got you. That's true for any device. If the app isn't listed in Google's database as compatible you won't see it in a given devices Play store.

Can't say how much of a problem it might be with the Nook's. I know I went to install the Vudu app and had to install the one from the Nook store instead of the one from Play. So far all the other apps I've tried have installed fine.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #99
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I think the 16GB HD at $179 is an outstanding value. The only real shortcoming now that it has access to Google Play is the lack of a camera for Skype.
That's actually a benefit for some folks who work in places where they're not allowed to bring recording devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I see people worried about B&N going out of business, stopping software or hardware support, and few more comments like that. But Honestly, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Not saying it is impossible, but not a near future possible thing, in my opinion.

<snip>

As long as the ebook is DRM free, I see no problem. Moving or using those on a different hardware should not be a problem.
Completely agree. I've been cataloging ebook purchases and I'm actually a bit surprised that I've spent over $1,500 on Nook Comics in the past 12 months. Wouldn't have bought a single one if DeDRM tools didn't exist.

For folks who have a Nook HD/HD+, has anyone tried if Perfect Viewer works? Thanks!

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-06-2013 at 01:07 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #100
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Should I order a NOOK HD+ this week or wait for the new Nexus 7 in June?
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #101
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I do not suppose all the apps in the Play Store are the same software version as in Nook store. If that is the case, then one may need to be careful which one is loaded on their Nook?

I assume where there is an app in both stores, the nook is the safer bet. I could not get Dolphin to run trailer videos from yahoo or imdb. I uninstalled it and use Dolphin from Nook store and now they play. Maybe something on my end but I am just letting folks know.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #102
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Got you. That's true for any device. If the app isn't listed in Google's database as compatible you won't see it in a given devices Play store.

Can't say how much of a problem it might be with the Nook's. I know I went to install the Vudu app and had to install the one from the Nook store instead of the one from Play. So far all the other apps I've tried have installed fine.
I may be wrong. But as long as the app does not require GPS , location or camera, it should work. And most games or ereader apps, do not.

News, banking, weather, may not work. But I don't see why someone may want to do that on a tablet that shoul be used for reading mostly.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #103
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Should I order a NOOK HD+ this week or wait for the new Nexus 7 in June?
The Nexus is bound to be more flexible and would have better Play Store compatibility. I've yet to encounter an app that's incompatible with the Nexus 7 (at least the ones that are still supported and have not been abandoned). Meanwhile, I'd consider the addition of Google Play to the Nook HD/HD+ as an added bonus but not a key feature.

If you want a tablet, get the Nexus. If you want an ebook reader which can occasionally be used for tablet-like stuff (web browsing, email, video playback, games), then I think the Nook HD/HD+ would fit the bill quite nicely.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #104
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I'm really wavering on this. I love my Nexus 7 and the flexibility of being able to access all the android options, but that screen on the HD+ is nice and I use my tablet 90% of the time to read books and comics. I might be able to live without stuff like sideloading Humble Bundle Android games I rarely play to get that screen for $200 at Best Buy and just living with the option from Google Play. I'm just wondering if Comic Rack works. If that doesn't on the HD+ its a deal killer for me.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #105
lfeuln
lfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: iPhone, Retina iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch
Might anyone with an updated Nook HD happen to have an MLB.TV sub? I know my Dad would like something larger than his current original Kindle Fire, but he'd also want to watch the live videos on that app. I have no idea if it'll work since there's a limited amount of officially supported devices.

While I'm also afraid this move came too late, good on B&N for actually doing it. I really hope it helps turn things around.
lfeuln is offline   Reply With Quote