Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
mobi > epub > mobi = changed line spacing?

I have a book I was trying to do some cleanup on to get rid of random line/paragraph breaks. I converted the book from MOBI (that showed as KF8 in the viewer) to EPUB with no problem. I edited the EPUB and reimported it into Calibre. I then converted it to MOBI (that showed as MOBI in the viewer), but the formatting was off; it looked like it was just one long page. Instead of trying to identify the problem, I just converted it to AZW3 (which showed as KF8 in the viewer), and it looked a lot better. I went through the options a little more closely, and found the option to save MOBI in new (KF8) format. So I tried that. Although I'm sure I didn't change any of the options in the conversion screens, it looks to me like the line spacing is changed.

In the Calibre viewer, the EPUBs look the same up until the edits I made.

Any suggestions?
Before:

After:
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Conversion (of any media) introduces noise.
Double conversion adds noise to the noise.

This may be a case where the Limits of Mobi cause a round up of a line space value.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
Any suggestions?
Hello SampleAndy,

"The Black Camel" was recently posted in EPUB format right here on MobileRead by another Charlie Chan fan:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204926

Starting with an EPUB might avoid some of the conversion problems you're encountering.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post

Starting with an EPUB might avoid some of the conversion problems you're encountering.

Marty
Thanks for the suggestion, Marty. This is where I got the MOBI files to begin with. The EPUB has the same extra para/line breaks, so it wasn't something in my original Calibre conversion to MOBI. If it's still a problem, I guess I could pull the text as straight HTML and start with a brand new shell. (shrugs)

I was hoping to learn how to work with formatting with something like this which is really close to what I think an ebook should be so I can learn to fix the ones I have that are REALly screwed up. (insert saying about best laid plans)

Andy
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote