Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Annetteg
Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Trouble transferring ebooks via USB

We've had the Sony reader and the computer for around the same time, about year and a half to two years ago.

At first, transferring files from the computer to the reader was fine. But for about the past month or so, once you plug the Sony Reader into the USB port, it goes completely mental.

Windows keep popping up saying the following

"Do you want to scan removable disc G? There may be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device before all files have been written to it.

Scan and fix (recommended) This will prevent future problems when copying files to this device or disk.

Continue without scanning."

If I press the scan button, Okay, I've pressed scan and fix, but a window appears telling me that windows cannot access the disc (it is still plugged into the USB port).

If I press continue without scanning, I just get lots more windows appearing with the same thing, there are 15 at the moment that have popped up.

I am using the latest software of Sony Reader (just downloaded it today).

This problem with transferring files has been happening for about a month now though.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've tried different USB ports on the computer, it happens on all of them.

Once the library software is opened, the reader appears for about two seconds, then it either says scanning or error and may appear again for about another few seconds before disappearing again, so no time to transfer over any books

take care,
Annette
Annetteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Usually this can happen if you are used to unplugging the device from a Windows-PC without safely removing it first.

Anyway, most likely parts of the filesystem of the internal memory are corrupt. Switch the reader on and somewhere in the settings menu (or advanced settings, don't remember) you will find an option to format the internal memory. Try it. But be warned: All ebooks on the reader (at least on the internal memory) will be deleted.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-27-2010 at 01:26 PM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Annetteg
Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the advice, I tried that and it still didn't work. I did however manage to get my ebooks onto an SD card and transferred them that way, so at least I can still read them.

I tried using a different USB wire as well just in case that might have been the problem, but sitll no luck. Not sure what else it might be.

take care,
Annette
Old 05-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I doubt that the USB wire is the problem, though i can't know it. Anyway, i've experienced the same problem in the past and in every case it was either a corrupt filesystem on the internal memory or on a SD-Card/Memory-Stick in the reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annetteg View Post
Do you want to scan removable disc G? There may be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device before all files have been written to it.
Is "disc G" the internal memory of the reader or an SD-card or even a Memory-Stick in the reader?
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Annetteg

Disc G was the USB port or internal memory of the reader.
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
netseeker is right. This really sounds like a corrupted internal memory issue.

On a Windows system, a 505 will show up as 3 USB mass storage devices, corresponding to the internal memory, MemoryStick slot, and SD card slot. Either or both of the latter may, of course, may only have a device letter and no media, depending on what external memory you're using.

In your place, I'd do a hard reset (you have nothing to lose, after all) and then test out the 505 again.

Also, you were actually on the right track with trying a different USB cable; while that's highly unlikely to be the cause (although I did once spend a couple of hours trying to diagnose a printer problem that turned out to be a bad parallel cable) that's an important step in a technician's diagnostic process: make sure you have known-good parts for everything but what you're testing. So try a different computer, too, and see if you get the same error (you don't need the Sony software, just plug it in and see if the OS throws a fit about filesystem problems).

Also, once you get this resolved (and for everyone else reading this thread), always stop a USB device properly before you remove it. Otherwise ... well, this happens. I don't remember what provision the Sony software has for this, I haven't used it in so long, but cailbre has a nice big "eject" button up in the menu, and of course there's always the icon in the system tray. If you don't stop the device, Windows could have data buffered but not written -- or be in the middle of a write -- when you unplug your device (this goes for any mass storage device, by the way), and the filesystem on that device can be totally hosed. Which seems to be what you're looking at.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annetteg View Post
We've had the Sony reader and the computer for around the same time, about year and a half to two years ago.

At first, transferring files from the computer to the reader was fine. But for about the past month or so, once you plug the Sony Reader into the USB port, it goes completely mental.
**snip**
Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've tried different USB ports on the computer, it happens on all of them.

take care,
Annette
I would take the Reader and cable to a nearby computer store, plug it into the USB port, and narrow it down to a computer problem or a reader problem.
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #8
Annetteg

I have a book to finish that was on my SD card. Then I will remove my cards and try setting it back to the factory settings or a hard reboot (I have no books on the internal memory at the moment.) I'll let you know if any of it works

take care,
Annette
Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Put SD card in cardreader. Copy books to computer. Read book on computer. Fix 505.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Annetteg

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Put SD card in cardreader. Copy books to computer. Read book on computer. Fix 505.
LOL! I finished the book on the reader, don't like reading too much on the computer screen. Anyway, I reset/reformatted the internal memory, plugged the USB in. Nothing happened. I did it twice more and the third time it seemed to work and I was able to transfer files over to the reader. No idea if it will work next time I try it, but it worked once

take care,
Annette