Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
75 euro reinstall

This mail stands for itself:
Code:
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:05:24 +0200
To: <ali>
Subject: WG: Ticket number: 364

Dear Mr. <ali>, 

Probably some files have been damaged/removed, which prevents the iliad to
boot correctly. This is not covered within the warranty.

We can offer a reinstallation. The cost for reinstallation and transport
costs to pick up the iLiad and send him back is 75 euro. 

Would you please inform us, if you want your iLiad to be repaired?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
<some name>
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
So if their iDS upgrade process eats my iLiad I'm not covered?

That doesn't sound too wonderful. We're beta testing their product, bad things can and likely will happen, and we get to pick up the bill?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
hoberion
hoberion began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
nice...
hoberion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
Janus
Janus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

same here. Files damaged (cause they let their applications obviously move files and write manifest.xml's everywhere in the Filesystem)= user fault = no warranty = 75 EUR

I want a way to flash that thing myself, or at least a serial console.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
If they do not provide protection for important system files, i bet, that this will have to be repaired within warranty terms.

Its not our fault, that they let all the applications run as root. Use different users (as mentioned by forum members before) and no harm could have been done.

Since reading files from the internal memory via browser is possible and a known issue, i dont think, they can deny warranty.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 AM   #7
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
Ouch. It's one thing if you f**k up your iliad by trying to implant a back door, but a bug in a documented feature (the directory listing) shouldn't be a reason to make you pay.

I would say it's warranty or, if this doesn't help, follow the gpl violation path. But this would mean that you won't see you iliad back very soon.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-19-2010 at 02:54 PM.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:08 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am not sure why they hesitate to release the sources as they should do and allow us to reflash the device ourselves. I don't buy this "we have to clean up the sources first" excuse that's been around for months.

But then again - 75 Euro isn't a bad extra income for them - it's a 10 percent extra in addition to the original purchase price.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:13 AM   #9
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

I agree, they can't deny warranty. Just put the thread in their forum, that will add some extra pressure and help them to rethink their policies.

This company really needs to learn a LOT ....
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:23 AM   #10
b_k
Übernerd

ali had that idea already:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=245
Old 08-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #11
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k

Oooops Thanks, missed it.
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:10 AM   #12
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Is it just me or does Jan's response, read as extremely condescending, and downright rude?

Not to mention the fact that he's essentially saying "To buy you off and stop you complaining so publically, we will push your repair through quick".

--edit--

Sorry I couldn't resist responding to him, and pointing out an obvious flaw in his respose (at least to a novice like me) and call him on the buying you off point.

Last edited by Riocaz; 08-23-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #13
b_k
Übernerd

do you really think that will stop me from complaining, that a local flash update/overwrite (be it from a memory card, usb-stick or over ethernet) or a console of some kind (serial or ethernet), could have avoided all that?

For me this "one-time free rapair" reads like:
We repair it this time for free, so stop poking around in the innards of the system or the next time you will have to pay for sure.

I admit looking through the system files, with the content lister was neither clever nor "daily use". But I still keep my point, that this happened is a flaw in the software concept of the device (running everything as root ...).
Old 08-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #14
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I avoid talking to their forum (for obvious reasons, I don't like their sometimes rude voice and I don't like being "accused" of things), so I quote employee Jan here again:

Quote:
Reading files with standard Linux tools will not harm the iLiad.
What are standard Linux tools? Tools like SSH?

Quote:
If you create "content" yourselves in order to hack the iLiad you are basicly not using the iLiad for the purpose it is designed for. In a normal user behavior this situation will not happen. That is why the service desk responded as they did.
Can anyone explain me "normal user behavior" and how using a built-in feature can be considered hacking?

Quote:
I can understand you want your iLiad repaired, but than face the consequences of your actions without pretending you "did not do anything abnormal" and sharing your frustration in many forums since we react as you could have expected.
Yes, dear customer, face the consequences and get rude remarks for your criminal actions.

Quote:
We will prepare a fix to the ContentLister to prevent these kind of "accidents" and will release this in the coming days for users to download.
Ahh, and suddenly here he talks about a software fix.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #15
Janus
Janus began at the beginning.

I dont post here alot but I dont see Sony having an Development forum where you can communicate openly to engineers... maybe time to be a bit more positive and use this opportunity to work with them instead of against them, before they change their mind.

just my 2cents.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote