Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #31
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
That makes me wonder if the next DR1000S upgrade will lose its scribble function. Is it because the 800 doesn't have the same Wacom technology or is it the software? That might suck if they can't do Adobe reflow and have scribbles at the same time.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #32
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
There is another thing that DR800S does not have: dictionary support (at least it does not appears in the manual).

And if news DR1000S versions didn't have the scribble and dictionary search this is one that will stop upgrading his DR1000S...

One of the iRex devices advantages over the others are the annotation, scribbling and dictionary support. DR800S seems a very poor device if it haven't them, and DR1000S wil follow the same way if the lose them...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #33
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
That makes me wonder if the next DR1000S upgrade will lose its scribble function.
No, I think the reason they haven't released the upgrade for the DR1000S yet is because they're waiting until they finish the scribble support for the new Adobe PDF/ePub viewers.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #34
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
There is another thing that DR800S does not have: dictionary support (at least it does not appears in the manual).
I emailed them about that a while ago, the response at the time was that they were working on it but that it wasn't ready yet. If you look at the manual that they submitted to the FCC for the DR800 (which is a different version than the manual included with the initial download image), that one does include a section talking about how to use the built in dictionary.

My guess is that dictionary support is going to be similar to annotations. Both won't be available initially, but something they plan to add later.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #35
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Shaggy, I would like you will be right.

But iRex is famous for not fulfill their promises.

BTW scribble and dictionary support are very basic things that all devices must have.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #36
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
BTW scribble and dictionary support are very basic things that all devices must have.
I don't really use either. It all depends on what your requirements are for an eBook device. If those features are important to you, then it's probably a good idea to wait until they are finished before you decide to buy a DR800. I wouldn't buy any device based on promises from the company that features you really need will be added later. I think that's where a lot of frustration comes from.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #37
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I don't really use either. It all depends on what your requirements are for an eBook device. If those features are important to you, then it's probably a good idea to wait until they are finished before you decide to buy a DR800. I wouldn't buy any device based on promises from the company that features you really need will be added later. I think that's where a lot of frustration comes from.
Well, that, and the fact that it takes them so amazingly long to get out a updates. Almost as though they've only got 1-2 developers total and can't be bothered hiring a new one.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #38
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Well, that, and the fact that it takes them so amazingly long to get out a updates. Almost as though they've only got 1-2 developers total and can't be bothered hiring a new one.
I don't know how many they have, but yes, they are a very small company compared to others like Amazon or Sony.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Shaggy, I would like you will be right.

But iRex is famous for not fulfill their promises.

I can live without the scribbling and dictionary, but I'd not buy a touchscreen enabled device if I couldn't make highlights.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote