Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Sigil v0.1.6

The changelog for version 0.1.6. follows:
Quote:
Sigil v0.1.6 2009.12.06.
- added a "Report An Issue" menu entry to the Help menu; opens a web browser and goes to the
"ReportingIssues" wiki page on Sigil's website
- fixed an issue with empty NavMap generation in the NCX if the file had no headings;
the epub specification forbids empty NavMaps (issue #174)
- fixed an issue with the document not being marked as modified in the GUI if the user only
changed the document's metadata (issue #189)
- fixed a rare bug with searching for a string that is at the very end of a document (issue #181)
- new "Remove Formatting" WYSIWYG action (issue #56)
- Sigil now preserves ALL HTML entity references (it used to convert most to Unicode equivalents);
this change was necessary since soft hyphens were becoming "invisible" (issue #186)
- implemented "blockquote" support through new WYSIWYG actions: "Indent Less" and
"Indent More" (issue #41)

- updating Qt fixed an issue with images wrapped in SVG tags not being shown (issue #91)
- updated Qt from 4.5.2 to 4.6.0

- fixed an issue with regex matching in Code View when such regexes referenced line
endings with "\n" (issue #182)
- PageUp and PageDown keys now work in Book View (issue #130)
- fixed a crash invoked on switching views and searching in Book View when the caret
element's parent has HTML comment children (issue #179)
- "Replace All" is now treated as a single undo/redo operation *in Code View*
- tentatively fixed a problem with bad TOC generation if the input file had multiple headings
with the same ID (across XHTML files) (issue #177)
- fixed a regression that was causing crashes when switching views
The big news is that the Qt framework has been updated to 4.6. Nokia has been working on that version for about 10 months, and they have some very nice new features and bug-fixes in it that are now trickling down to Sigil users too. Snow Leopard now has official support, and the long overdue images-wrapped-in-SVG bug is finally gone. They also reportedly worked on Mac performance. I'd love to hear about this from Sigil's Mac users: has performance improved? Apart from the page loading getting worse (I'll get to that in a moment).

Unfortunately not everything they did was great. They screwed a few things up, and now Webkit (the Book View engine) loads pages with images considerably longer. Also, resizing has become borderline impossible with the new slowdown. But apart from these, they say Webkit should be more responsive. I'm dying to hear about that. Anyway, they say they'll fix these performance regressions with loading and resizing webkit in Qt 4.6.1, which should be out in January... They also half-fixed the font loading problems: custom fonts in webkit now won't cause crashes, but font variants (custom bold and italic fonts) still don't show up...

But to give credit where it is due... Text rendering in Book View is now a lot nicer, and the fresh new API's have enabled the creation of the indenting and format clearing WYSIWYG actions. Also, I should now be able to speed up Book View Find&Replace operations.

In other news, work on 0.2.0 will now be starting in earnest. The 0.1.x branch is entering maintenance, which means you'll see new releases there only if some major bugs show up or a considerable amount of smaller ones accumulate.

Anyway, enjoy. I'd love to get input regarding this version, since new Qt may have messed some (other) things up too. It should have fixed more than a few I'm not aware of as well.

EDIT: Hold on, Nokia added a new dependency without mentioning it anywhere so now Sigil won't launch. It will take me a few minutes to recompile and upload new installers.

EDIT2: Done.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-06-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Woohoo!!! Excellent Valloric!

Just one question, how come the Linux binaries have exploded so much in size? Anyway, great work as usual!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Wow, great work & fast! Thanks a lot!

(I'm also very happy to hear you're starting to work on 0.2.0... )
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Woohoo!!! Excellent Valloric!

Just one question, how come the Linux binaries have exploded so much in size? Anyway, great work as usual!
That's a great question. I downloaded pre-built Qt binaries from Nokia's site, and they link statically to everything. That's probably a good idea.

I tried to use InstallJammer's LZMA compression on the installers (halves the final installer size), but this fails on Linux x86. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next version of IJ. 100 MB is a big download.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
That's a great question. I downloaded pre-built Qt binaries from Nokia's site, and they link statically to everything. That's probably a good idea.

I tried to use InstallJammer's LZMA compression on the installers (halves the final installer size), but this fails on Linux x86. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next version of IJ. 100 MB is a big download.
Something else. I did not notice, but after installing 0.16 I run it without realizing it was actually still 0.15. I manually deleted the /opt/sigil folder and re-installed it, and it won't start, it spits this error (running on Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit):

sigil: symbol lookup error: sigil: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach3Ev

Any ideas?

Last edited by afv011; 12-06-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am going to ask a very stupid question
I don't know anything about Linux, but I would like to install linux version.
I have a laptop with Ubuntu 9.10
What do I do with the *.bin file? Do I unpack/mount/open it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Something else. I did not notice, but after installing 0.16 I run it without realizing it was actually still 0.15. I manually deleted the /opt/sigil folder and re-installed it, and it won't start, it spits this error (running on Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit):

sigil: symbol lookup error: sigil: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach3Ev

Any ideas?
I'm not sure I understand what you did. Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
First make it executable, and then run it.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Valloric, for some reason S&R is much quicker now on OSX Leopard.

edit: wait, i'm still on .1.5!

The only thing I have changed was that Java was updated on Snow Leopard the other day-could that have speeded things up?

Last edited by kjk; 12-07-2009 at 11:50 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you did. Please elaborate.
Well, there is not much more to say, when I try to launch Sigil from the shortcut it won't run, and when I launch it from a command window it prints the error I mentioned in my previous comment.

Does anybody else experience issues on Linux?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, already 0.1.6 ! that was fast. and starting work on v 0.2 ! huge news !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Huzzah! Many thanks.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
The command are:

$ chmod +x Sigil-0.1.6-Linux-x86-Setup.bin
$ sudo ./Sigil-0.1.6-Linux-x86-Setup.bin
Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Well, there is not much more to say, when I try to launch Sigil from the shortcut it won't run, and when I launch it from a command window it prints the error I mentioned in my previous comment.
Ok, start from scratch then. Go to "/opt/sigil" and run the uninstaller there. If that doesn't work, delete the whole directory. Then download Sigil 0.1.6 and install it. Be sure to download now, don't use an older install file since I changed them when I found out Nokia added the QtXmlPatterns dependency to Webkit.

It should now work. If it doesn't... well I don't know. I'm using the Nokia prebuilt binaries of Qt, instead of the Ubuntu ones used in previous releases (there are no Ubuntu binaries for Qt 4.6). It could be that this is causing some problems... although it shouldn't.

Quote:
Does anybody else experience issues on Linux?
I'd like to know too.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Valloric, for some reason S&R is much quicker now on OSX Leopard.

edit: wait, i'm still on .1.5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The only thing I have changed was that Java was updated on Snow Leopard the other day-could that have speeded things up?
Java? Hell no. Then again, who knows what the Nokia guys are doing on Mac to make Qt work. It's a very weird port, I can tell you that.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
The command are:

$ chmod +x Sigil-0.1.6-Linux-x86-Setup.bin
$ sudo ./Sigil-0.1.6-Linux-x86-Setup.bin
Thanks. I will try tomorrow at work.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote