Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #1081
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'll definitely go for iPad 3. I guess, they'll implement quite a few features they saw on Android, PlayBook, TouchPad and such.
Hey, I thought Apple never was inspired by the rest but the rest was only inspired by Apple?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #1082
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hey, I thought Apple never was inspired by the rest but the rest was only inspired by Apple?
I wondered, whether I could dare to make such a statement...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #1083
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I wondered, whether I could dare to make such a statement...
Well, Apple did bring us the Newton. That was a bold, innovative step back then.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #1084
andy_
andy_ began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anyone have any comments on reliability - I've had 3 kindle 3g die within 8 months before I gave up on them - the displays all stopped working top half. Amazon uk have been very quick and responsive about free replacements - but will not promise to always replace. I do a search on sony , nook, kobo - they all seem to have the same sort of issues - but their CS fight back more about replacements.
andy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #1085
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_ View Post
Anyone have any comments on reliability - I've had 3 kindle 3g die within 8 months before I gave up on them - the displays all stopped working top half. Amazon uk have been very quick and responsive about free replacements - but will not promise to always replace. I do a search on sony , nook, kobo - they all seem to have the same sort of issues - but their CS fight back more about replacements.
I have 4 Kindles in total:
Kindle 2 US
Kindle DX US
Kindle 3
Kindle DX Graphite
The first 2 for maybe 2 years, the other 2 for maybe 1 year.
All of them work perfectly. I only had 2 (out of 23 in total) readers with failed display:
iRex 1000 did have a fault from the very beginning and was replaced without any troubles.
iRex iLiad died on me. Probably out of depression, not having been used or charged for about 9 months. Was replaced as well, although it was way over the guarantee period.

In general, the few times I needed support, it's always friendly, supportive and professional. Apple and Amazon seem to be benchmark here.
I've only had a single negative experience. I've mentioned it in this thread about a week ago: Expansys. They've confirmed my order, after 5 days they came back to me: "Not available anymore". I've asked, why they've confirmed the order and what to do now. I didn't get any response on 2 emails. Response on the 3rd email was: "You can write thousands of emails, this won't change a thing"....
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #1086
mgmueller
Member Retired

Samsung Galaxy Note

Most probably know it already, but some informations about the pen/stylus:
It's a WACOM tablet, so I can use my iRex styli for example.
There's a single button in the pen, where your index finger rests. By pushing it, special tasks get activated. For example making a screenshot and then jotting on that picture.
But a slight problem: The advantage of those capacitive styli typically is, you can rest your hand on the screen, because the pen doesn't work via pressure (although the WACOM pens are pressure sensitive). Problem with Galaxy Note: It's a tablet, you can tap with your finger.
Meaning: It accepts your finger AND the stylus in parallel. So, when resting your hand on the screen while writing with the stylus, you accidentally activate the screen as well with your palm.
It's no disaster. The display of Galaxy Note is that small, you can't/need to rest your hand comfortably anyway. Still: Not perfect. I haven't found a menu such as "stylus only", which would be the easiest solution...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #1087
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_ View Post
Anyone have any comments on reliability - I've had 3 kindle 3g die within 8 months before I gave up on them - the displays all stopped working top half.
Those machines are very reliable.

You have to bear in mind that the displays are also very fragile. The display is built on thin plate of glass. Glass bears the electronics. On the top of that there is e-ink foil.
If you have piece of glass as big as your display, 1mm thin, it can break very easily if you apply a little force in wrong direction.

Your machines had most probably broken display substrate.

We have been waiting for displays on plastic substrate for years. There is talk that the production of of "plastic" displays is just around the corner, but we have been promised that for years and years.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #1088
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Most probably know it already, but some informations about the pen/stylus:
It's a WACOM tablet, so I can use my iRex styli for example.
There's a single button in the pen, where your index finger rests. By pushing it, special tasks get activated. For example making a screenshot and then jotting on that picture.
But a slight problem: The advantage of those capacitive styli typically is, you can rest your hand on the screen, because the pen doesn't work via pressure (although the WACOM pens are pressure sensitive). Problem with Galaxy Note: It's a tablet, you can tap with your finger.
Meaning: It accepts your finger AND the stylus in parallel. So, when resting your hand on the screen while writing with the stylus, you accidentally activate the screen as well with your palm.
It's no disaster. The display of Galaxy Note is that small, you can't/need to rest your hand comfortably anyway. Still: Not perfect. I haven't found a menu such as "stylus only", which would be the easiest solution...
I found the palm rejection in the Samsung Note app to be pretty decent actually. My main problem was with the capacitive hardware buttons. I'd be writing a note, jot down a few sentences, adjust my hand lower and BAM! I hit the back button which closes the note. It happened so often that writing became a frustrating experience. I flipped the GNote to landscape but noticed that the lines were less smooth in that orientation. At that I decided not to keep the device.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #1089
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
It's been a while, So, for now, my totally subjective ranking.

#13: Asus EeePad Transformer
I bought it a few days after Acer Iconia. More or less the same experience = no match for Motorola Xoom. I liked it even less than Acer Iconia. Maybe it was just my unit, but the display was somewhat "sticky", my Samsung pen didn't go as smoothly as usual.
The ASUS Transformer Prime that I pre-ordered has gorilla glass screen. Do you think that would resolve the sticky display situation you mentioned? BTW, I did checked into the tablets you suggested to me but the newest ASUS seems to have everything I would like in a tablet. The only downside is that I would prefer the 8.9" size of the Samsung.

~eddie

Last edited by JerseyBiker; 12-03-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #1090
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
The ASUS Transformer Prime that I pre-ordered has gorilla glass screen. Do you think that would resolve the sticky display situation you mentioned? BTW, I did checked into the tablets you suggested to me but the newest ASUS seems to have everything I would like in a tablet. The only downside is that I would prefer the 8.9" size of the Samsung.

~eddie
Unfortunately, I have no idea about the "sticky" issue.
I didn't check intensively, but I didn't stumble over any similar description in the web.
As, to my knowledge, all manufacturers use displays from the same sources, there shouldn't be any "ASUS specific" problems.
It was pretty obvious and annoying. I didn't just feel it in my fingers, my stylus didn't slide smoothly as well.
But I don't think, you have to worry. I probably got a "Monday unit", as we say in Germany. Probably an isolated issue.

From the specs, Transformer Prime actually seems to be benchmark for now. But, as we all know, this "pole position" probably will last exactly 25 minutes. I've given up a long time ago, to aim for the newest units all the time. It shouldn't be outdated already when buying. But I don't worry about the next gadget around the corner, which will be a bit faster, cheaper and more compact...

About the size and form factor:
Personally, I've changed my perception quite a few times already. First I was into the big tablets - finally big enough to actually use them. Then I was into the 7" tablets, as I often travel light. Then I was into the mid sized units - the perfect compromise it seemed.
For now, my favorites are Sony Tablet P and Samsung Galaxy Note. Highly mobile and still big enough for most needs. I'll see, whether that's just the "new factor", or whether this will last.
Still, I find it easy enough, to take anything (including my MacBook Air) below 11" display with me all the time.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #1091
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
From the specs, Transformer Prime actually seems to be benchmark for now. But, as we all know, this "pole position" probably will last exactly 25 minutes. I've given up a long time ago, to aim for the newest units all the time. It shouldn't be outdated already when buying. But I don't worry about the next gadget around the corner, which will be a bit faster, cheaper and more compact...
Thanks again. I know what you mean. I purchased a 55" state of the art Samsung plasma HDTV about 3 years ago for almost $4000. Today I can get 3bigger and more advanced HDTVs for the price I paid for mine. You can't keep up with the latest and greatest it just moves too fast.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #1092
mgmueller
Member Retired

Rooting Samsung Galaxy Note

Just rooted it.
Very convenient, simply starting a batch file and watching in awe.
Minor downside: The Google Maps Live Wallpaper is gone.
Else: Totally worth it.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #1093
Fletchdad
Fletchdad began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey. I am new here, so please bear with me if I am asking dumb stuff.

I was turned on to the forum from a member of another forum I am active at that deals with online and live poker.

I am thinking about getting a reader, and am on a budget. I only want to read (ATM) so internet etc. is not an issue. Money is. However, I dont want to save 15$ in the wrong place if ya know what I mean.

I am in Germany. I would also look at used stuff - ebay, amazon, is used a bad thing?? - . I have a lot of PDF stuff I want to read. My eyesight is not the best, so I need to be able to adjust font size (this is probably standard??) And I want to be able to buy ebooks anywhere and view them on my reader as well as view some free stuff, and things I have been given over the years.. IDK if certain publishing houses are only viewable on certain readers.

This is probably kids stuff for you all, so links to pertinent threads that answer are fine.

Thanks
Fletchdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #1094
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
PDF and adjust font sizes... Those two don't fit together very well...

Bad eye sight and PDF => you'll need a larger tablet, I wouldn't go below 10".

Buying books anywhere and reading them on your reader means a tablet, unless you don't mind stripping DRM and converting formats. Otherwise, you won't be able to buy from either Amazon (kindle format) or the rest of the world (epub format) (only two factions here!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #1095
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchdad View Post
Hey. I am new here, so please bear with me if I am asking dumb stuff.

I was turned on to the forum from a member of another forum I am active at that deals with online and live poker.

I am thinking about getting a reader, and am on a budget. I only want to read (ATM) so internet etc. is not an issue. Money is. However, I dont want to save 15$ in the wrong place if ya know what I mean.

I am in Germany. I would also look at used stuff - ebay, amazon, is used a bad thing?? - . I have a lot of PDF stuff I want to read. My eyesight is not the best, so I need to be able to adjust font size (this is probably standard??) And I want to be able to buy ebooks anywhere and view them on my reader as well as view some free stuff, and things I have been given over the years.. IDK if certain publishing houses are only viewable on certain readers.

This is probably kids stuff for you all, so links to pertinent threads that answer are fine.

Thanks
As always, buying used stuff has some risk.
And for products with list prices from ca. € 80 to € 200, savings probably won't be that big.
But it might be worth, checking out.
Personally, I can recommend Amazon for that. I find it easier to find and compare products than in eBay. I've sold some stuff there recently. As a seller, you have to define the status of the product (as new, good condition, slightly used, ...). If the description isn't for real, you could send the products back.
From personal experience, I'd say you can expect savings of ca. 20%. Below that, the quality often is too low. You have to decide yourself, whether savings of that range are worth the potential "risk".

As Sweetpea already said: PDF is one of the "worst" formats for eBooks. If the PDF is scanned pictures, you're basically lost. If it's text, you can reflow it, instead of just zooming in. "Reflow" means, the text gets adjusted to the font size you choose. One of the problems with PDFs: Typically, they are prepared for print, usually in DIN A4 or letter size. If your reader has a smaller display (most are around DIN A5), you either have to zoom and scroll back and forth, which gets annoying rather quickly. Or you reflow the text. This should increase readability, but entirely kills the layout.
This may not be a problem for your typical Stephen King. But often PDFs have a specific design structure. For example text books from university, legal documents and such often look disastrous after reflowing.
Imagine a text book with graphics, text, formulas, headlines, ... All broken down to pure information. Some lost entirely, some looking strange, some mixed together, ...

Buying books "anywhere" is the most critical part.
Unfortunately, most retailers use copy protection. This is called DRM = Digital Rights Management. Usually, this copy protection can be removed, then you can convert your books to other formats. But removing this copy protection usually is illegal (Germany, for example) and a pain in the ass. But if you want to do this, you're not on your own. You'll get the respective tips without problems...
If you keep the copy protection, the situation basically is:
You buy from Amazon and you only can read those books on Amazon's Kindle reader or in the Kindle apps for tablets/PCs/Smartphones.
Same for many other manufacturers. So, very often you should consider your main source for buying books, before deciding for the respective reader.
Amazon has the biggest collection, but most others are similar. Easiest of course are English books, but German ones are available in increasing numbers as well.
The only exception: Adobe's DRM protection for ePUBs and PDFs has become some kind of a standard. Lots of readers can process this. So you can register your reader with the Adobe account and use those books on various units. For now, that's closest what we've got to "future proof" in eBooks.

Tablets, as you'll find in many threads, become increasingly popular for reading eBooks. Personally, I haven't bought a dedicated reader for 18 months now and mainly use tablets. They're almost as good for reading, but offer additional features, for example using 5 reader apps in parallel = reading books from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Sony, Kobo, Weltbild (for Germans), ...
But of course tablets still are more expensive.
As a rule of thumb:
Dedicated reader = € 80 to € 200 (more expensive ones exist, but are kind of "exotic").
Tablets = € 300 to € 600 (cheaper ones exist, but often quality is very low. More expensive ones exist, but are getting rare).

If you want to check out some units...
Personally, I'd recommend:

Dedicated readers:
PocketBook units = variety of readers re. size and screen (with and without touchscreen, for example). Very popular in this forum and well developed firmware.
Amazon Kindle = directly integrated bookstore. You can buy Amazon books without any additional costs directly on the reader. There are models with free 3G access to the bookstore and there are cheap entry models as well. Amazon certainly is one of the market leaders here.
Sony readers = very popular in Germany. They can process ePUB, so they are flexible and you're not stuck to the Sony bookstore.

Tablets:
Apple iPad = If you want to have a cheap model, you can go for the iPad 1. It's 18 months old, but still state of the art. Apple is highly successful in this area and has the biggest number of applications in the market.
Samsung Galaxy Tabs = Seems to be the biggest single competitor of Apple for now. They use Google's Android system and are more "open" than Apple. Less applications than Apple, but still more than enough. Samsung has a huge variety of tablets. You can have the old 7" (ca. DIN A5) model, which is about 14 months old, for a relatively low price.

Hope this helps...
BTW: Don't worry. Everyone had the same questions as you. And even the "veterans" of the scene still from time to time stumble over compatibility issues and such. Lots of people compare the situation of eBooks to digital music about 10 years ago. Most expect, that copy protected eBooks in a few years will fade. But for now, it's still fighting about market share and protecting proprietary formats.
At least, there's one good thing to it: The big players, such as Amazon, seem to be able and willing to sponsor their hardware and aim for margins mainly in the content (books, games, music, applications, movies, ...). So you see prices drop from € 300 to € 500 only a few years ago to € 80 to € 200 for now...

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-14-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test