Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Alternate Kindle 2 Font Hack

This Crunchgear article showed up in my Google Reader. It leads to a Kindleboards thread which leads to another font hack for Kindle 2.

It seems to follow the same track as the one from BlogKindle except, one of the fonts that comes with the Kindle 2 has been modified to be bolder.

Quote:
When it's all done, the new font will supercede the originally installed reading font.

I have only modified the default serif fonts. The other fonts should remain the standard Kindle 2 fonts.
There are several other fonts available with corresponding bin files.

I like the looks of most popular one "Bold Narrow Native". I haven't tried either of the font hacks yet but I will at some point.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I just installed the "Bold Narrow Native" Font. It makes a big difference.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The associated write up on the Kindle Optimizer is also interesting. It suggests using a black skin as well as a modified font, and also confirms the difference in screen quality between units (which has come up in other threads).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I just installed the Arial Round Narrow and it is a vast improvement.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed the "Bold Narrow Native" and it is definitely darker but I find that I prefer the original font (that surprised me). I temporarily have 2 K2s with me and can compare them side by side using the Jeff Bezos Welcome Letter and the original looks better to my eye.

I'm including a scan comparing the two. The White K2 shows the original font, the skinned shows the hacked font (big file).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	font hack comparison.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	28097  
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Thanks for the great post! I'm using the tall font and really like it. I have two Kindle 2s side by side. The owner of the other Kindle prefers the original font (we are agreeing to disagree <g>).
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I installed the "Bold Narrow Native" and it is definitely darker but I find that I prefer the original font (that surprised me). I temporarily have 2 K2s with me and can compare them side by side using the Jeff Bezos Welcome Letter and the original looks better to my eye.

I'm including a scan comparing the two. The White K2 shows the original font, the skinned shows the hacked font (big file).
The second is using a larger font size anyway, which is why it looks slightly darker. The two are not compareable.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The second is using a larger font size anyway, which is why it looks slightly darker. The two are not compareable.
They are the same size but I do know the spacing on mine is different, I forgot to change it (the skinned version).

You're welcome to do your own comparison and post pictures.

Edit: Notice that the location numbers are the same. When I change the font size on one the location number range changes.

Last edited by daffy4u; 04-27-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The line spacing could change the location numbers as well. And the file is too small for the location numbers to be very precise. But I do agree on further viewing that it's the line spacing that's different.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well, I tried a couple different fonts even though I have no problem with the default. I think I'll stick with the default font, but it's great that it's so easy for those that want to change to do so.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wouldn't it be great if Amazon baked this into the Kindle software?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Wouldn't it be great if Amazon baked this into the Kindle software?
Yes it would be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
JoeC
Addict

Yes, I meant give people a choice. Changing font size is nice but this would go a step further.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I would agree. You can see the difference in the number of lines that is displayed per page in the screen.

I installed the "Bold Narrow Native" also and liked the darkness that contrast the background and since Im near sighted, its better for me than the original font.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

nevermind

Tags
kindle 2 font hack