Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #61
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The film will make a lot more sense if you've read the book first.
If it lacks sense without having read the book, I'd say that's a failure of the filmmakers.
Making it a richer is experience is another matter.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If it lacks sense without having read the book, I'd say that's a failure of the filmmakers.
Making it a richer is experience is another matter.
Perhaps "sense" is too strong a word. Let me amend my statement to say that there are scenes you'll get more from if you've read the book. Eg the battle-room scenes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #63
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I read "Enders Game" for the first time a few months back....it was also the first Orson Card novel I've read....I found it a stunning book, and the end blew my mind. I did not see that coming...

Regardless of his political or religious views, my own opinion is that he wrote a masterpiece there.....but thats just me.

The film trailers look promising......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #64
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The sequels(Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide) are a different type and style of story, so you may not necessarily enjoy them as much as Ender's Game.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #65
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The sequels(Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide) are a different type and style of story, so you may not necessarily enjoy them as much as Ender's Game.
Would agree strongly I really enjoyed enders game I hated Speaker of the Dead though and gave up on it about half way through which is actually a rare thing for me the only other book I've quit on is Clash of Kings.

Another recent film that got me interested in the book was Odd Thomas only other ones I can think off are Starship Troopers and Eragon all of which I'd seen the film first then went to the book.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #66
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Aw shucks .....

Enough already !

I give up, my curiosity has got the better of me ........... I'm orf to spend more blooming money from my meagre resources.

( Then there'll be the film ........ the cost mounts with every second ......... hope I like it ......... )

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #67
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The book contains at least two violent fight scenes (one of them graphic) which result in death. Are they included in the film, and if so, are they inappropriate for a fifteen-year old?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the fight scenes are there, but no worse than you'll see on prime time TV.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The book contains at least two violent fight scenes (one of them graphic) which result in death. Are they included in the film, and if so, are they inappropriate for a fifteen-year old?
When I was around 12, I went on a Clive Barker bender and read most of the local library's stock of those. Violent deaths on every other page, graphic descriptions of homo- and heterosexual activities and some incredibly colourful curses. I add this (mainly off-topic comment) to say that: (i) if I wasn't warped by that material (you'll have to take my word on that) when I was 12, I don't think even the most innocent 15 year old would blink at anything in Card's book or in any PG movie based on it; and (ii) my parents were clearly not paying enough attention to my media consumption, even after I turned in a book report on Barker's The Hellbound Heart.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #70
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here's a free offer from Audible. It's the complete audioplay of Ender's Game Alive and free to listen to until tomorrow.

Quote:
Audible and io9.com bring you the entire Ender's Game Alive Audioplay for FREE! Promotion ends Friday, November 1st 2013 at 11:59 PM EST
Quote:
Catch up on Ender's Game before the film with this FREE audioplay
Remember, you only have today and tomorrow to listen to this. After that, it's $19.95 on Audible.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #71
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Never read any of his stuff, so I decided to give him a shot. I'll start off with the audiobook of Ender's Game.
If you like Enders Game just the slightest, I suggest you also give the sequel a try, Speaker for the Dead. It is a very different book, but I do think it is Cards masterpiece.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #72
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
If you like Enders Game just the slightest, I suggest you also give the sequel a try, Speaker for the Dead. It is a very different book, but I do think it is Cards masterpiece.
There are lots of debates about that. I love Ender's game, but couldn't get into the sequel. I read it, but it dragged for me and it was a let down.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #73
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The premise is great, but it's filled with annoying characters. Even Ender gets annoying by the end of the second sequel.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #74
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I went to see the newly-released film version of "Ender's Game" last night. It's one of my favourite SF novels, so I was a little apprehensive about what they'd do to it as a film, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a pretty faithful adaptation of the book, although some plot elements of the book were cut out, as is inevitable.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?

(I should add, in passing, that my Kindle PW2 proved its worth as a way of getting through the seemingly endless adverts and trailers that preceded that film. Thank goodness for illuminated readers!)
I love Sci Fi and especially the movies. This year, I have enjoyed Elysium, Oblivion and 1 or 2 more.

The big one will be "The Desolation of Smaug." Very cool Elf girl!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #75
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
In a bit of a reversal, I didn't really enjoy the book that much, but I am looking forward to seeing the movie. I like space action movies, and I usually like Harrison Ford movies, and I'm hoping the adaptations and compression of cinematic storytelling make me appreciate the story more.

It happened with Lord of the Rings. I have never been able to get through the books, but I enjoyed all of Peter Jackson's movies.
I actually haven't read the book -- I did read the original short story that appeared in Analog, back in '77, and really disliked it. So, I never got the book.

I'll probably see the movie, though, for pretty much the same reasons.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote