Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps you could convey that by using a different word, such as "track" or "road", rather than "trail"?
Similar thoughts went through my mind. My earlier suggestions were based on the idea that a "trail" or "track" both suggest paths that are not in constant use; paths that aren't well maintained and without enough traffic to wear away the grass between the wheel ruts and the branches reaching in from the sides. Whereas "road" gives the impression of something that is used more often, that has probably worn away a lot of such growth (and may even be maintained that way). Perhaps that's a lot to read into the words, but without additional clarification that is the impression I would take from them.

As a reader I wouldn't interpret much difference between "trail" or "track" in terms of the type of path.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I wonder would just a saying " a wide trail" work instead? I do not want to use "road" or anything that modern reader might associate with asphalt or concrete.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That seems like a safer thing to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Just enough that they get the picture and are not thinking of a walking path because later 20-30 soldiers are going to be on the trail and our hero is going to be face with a fight on that trail. None of that works if a person thinks he is following a game trail or something like that.
I think Harry's right. Try using words that suggest the width rather than a measurement. "I ran across a track a small wagon could traverse easily."
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I think Harry's right. Try using words that suggest the width rather than a measurement. "I ran across a track a small wagon could traverse easily."
As I mentioned above, I can not say "wagon" as the hero would have never seen one before. I think I will just do "a wide trail" and let imagination take over.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #21
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Just enough that they get the picture and are not thinking of a walking path because later 20-30 soldiers are going to be on the trail and our hero is going to be face with a fight on that trail. None of that works if a person thinks he is following a game trail or something like that.
If the character has never seen a wagon trail, he would not have the words to describe it. He would liken it to something he could relate to. It might well be a game trail or a large animal trail that he relates it to. But a trail so large that he could lay across that trail and it would span the space between his feet and his shoulders, or something like that.

Furthermore, if he likened it to a game trail or a large animal trail, he might well shudder or at least wonder at how strange an animal that could make such a trail could be.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
If the character has never seen a wagon trail, he would not have the words to describe it. He would liken it to something he could relate to. It might well be a game trail or a large animal trail that he relates it to. But a trail so large that he could lay across that trail and it would span the space between his feet and his shoulders, or something like that.

Furthermore, if he likened it to a game trail or a large animal trail, he might well shudder or at least wonder at how strange an animal that could make such a trail could be.
There is also the fact that the wagon would leave behind ruts so that the character who had never seen a wagon before would marvel at the strange animal tracks that were left behind in the dirt. We all work according to our own frame of reference. When the Conquistadors came to the America's I understand native tribes thought at first that they were seeing a half-man/half-horse creature as they had no frame of reference (the horses now in North America are descendants of horses that the Conquistadors brought with them) to tell them any different.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote