Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
bsandersen
Nerd
bsandersen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300,505, Kindle 2, iPad
Hello from Acton, Massachusetts

I have been a fan of electronic media for a very long time and believe strongly that we are on the verge of something breathtaking. We have witnessed the transition from vinyl records to CDs almost overnight. We went from digital cameras being "gimmicy" with poor resolution and never an adequate substitute for film and prints to a marketplace where Kodak and Poloroid are now nearly out of the film business, all in just a few years. We've gone from a time when the Internet was "interesting but I wouldn't trust doing business there" to a point where a significant amount of commerce is now on Amazon, eBay, and iTunes. People used to sell products; now they sell bits--with no inventory costs, negligible shipping costs, lower production costs, fewer tax implications, and a smaller ecological footprint.

Now, after all these tipping points, we still have this unbelievers. What happened for vinyl could not happen for paper. What happened to music, customers skipping the medium and going straight for the bits, couldn't happen to paper. What happened to video distribution, just bits on a wire, couldn't happen to paper. The doubters remain blinded to the possibility.

Watch it come. This is an exciting time. While paper will never die completely, just as CDs, VHS, film, or vinyl have not died completely, we will see its share of the marketplace shrink, slowly at first, and then quickly as with the demise of all those other mediums. Watch it come.

There are few times when we can anticipate an important event in history. This is one of those times. That's why I'm here. I can't wait.

-- B. Scott Andersen
Acton, Massachusetts
bsandersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Welcome to the Mobile Read Maelstrom. Enjoy the site and enjoy your Sony Reader.

There are many interesting threads that should keep you enticed for many an hour.

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandersen View Post
I have been a fan of electronic media for a very long time and believe strongly that we are on the verge of something breathtaking. We have witnessed the transition from vinyl records to CDs almost overnight. We went from digital cameras being "gimmicy" with poor resolution and never an adequate substitute for film and prints to a marketplace where Kodak and Poloroid are now nearly out of the film business, all in just a few years. We've gone from a time when the Internet was "interesting but I wouldn't trust doing business there" to a point where a significant amount of commerce is now on Amazon, eBay, and iTunes. People used to sell products; now they sell bits--with no inventory costs, negligible shipping costs, lower production costs, fewer tax implications, and a smaller ecological footprint.

Now, after all these tipping points, we still have this unbelievers. What happened for vinyl could not happen for paper. What happened to music, customers skipping the medium and going straight for the bits, couldn't happen to paper. What happened to video distribution, just bits on a wire, couldn't happen to paper. The doubters remain blinded to the possibility.

Watch it come. This is an exciting time. While paper will never die completely, just as CDs, VHS, film, or vinyl have not died completely, we will see its share of the marketplace shrink, slowly at first, and then quickly as with the demise of all those other mediums. Watch it come.

There are few times when we can anticipate an important event in history. This is one of those times. That's why I'm here. I can't wait.

-- B. Scott Andersen
Acton, Massachusetts
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hello From Acton. I'm in Roslindale, MA. also with a 505. Welcome to MobileRead. If you need any help, feel free to ask.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hello Mr. Anderson. Every time you watch the Matrix do you feel like Agent Smith is talking to you?

Anyways, welcome! I hope you're right about e-books gaining popularity
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi bsandersen and welcome to the Forum. Can't say I disagree with anything you've said. Sure hope you're not a Red Sox fan
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert