Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I need a French or Apple speaker

I'm in process of preparing a book in English which is set in France in the 1500s for the MobileRead Library. The original text is from Project Gutenberg and the French words with accents do not display properly - the accents do not show as html entities, and may be Apple speak.

I've got all the words so far with the aid of a small French dictionary and the remnants of the French I learned when I lived in Canada, but the latest one has defeated me. The word appears as estramaçons, and is used in the context of a sword fight.

Can anyone tell me please what the French word is, preferably with the accents, or what ç would be as an html entity?

I've looked at several versions of the original book on the Internet Archive, but they are all full of OCR errors.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I believe you are talking about an "estramaçon", as in "un estramaçon", or broadsword. In case the accent does not appear correctly on your screen, it is spelled in the singular as e s t r a m a c (with a cedilla) o n.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
EDIT: I see LoveMacs replied with the same thing, estramaçon, (broadsword or greatsword) while I was looking online.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much to both of you for the speedy responses.

It seems that ç means c cedilla, or ç in html.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
European languages have lots of complicated accents. You can see why English has caught on.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

I don't usually have much problem with French; it's the Apple speak that brought me undone.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I don't usually have much problem with French; it's the Apple speak that brought me undone.
Yeah, but if you're typing on a Mac, access to non-English characters is so much easier than the arcane "Alt+426" format of Windows...

Option-c gives you ç
Option-e gives you é
Option-u gives you ü
Option-n gives you ñ
Etc.

I think last time I was writing a memo in Windows 7, it took me five minutes and Google to find ñ to type a colleague's name.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Yeah, but if you're typing on a Mac, access to non-English characters is so much easier than the arcane "Alt+426" format of Windows...

Option-c gives you ç
Option-e gives you é
Option-u gives you ü
Option-n gives you ñ
Etc.

I think last time I was writing a memo in Windows 7, it took me five minutes and Google to find ñ to type a colleague's name.
What do you do if you want different accents over/under the characters? For example, in Polish you can have ę and ń.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
What do you do if you want different accents over/under the characters? For example, in Polish you can have ę and ń.
You get to prioritize your non-English languages. I would guess that if you moved Polish up to the front of that priority list, some of those characters would move in to those easy-to-remember keyboard shortcut spots, and become very intuitive. I just looked at my settings, and I see that the characters you mention are available, but I have French, Spanish, Italian, German, Portuguese, Swedish, and Danish all prioritized above Polish.

Last edited by curtw; 12-23-2012 at 04:56 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
You get to prioritize your non-English languages. I would guess that if you moved Polish up to the front of that priority list, some of those characters would move in to those easy-to-remember keyboard shortcut spots, and become very intuitive. I just looked at my settings, and I see that the characters you mention are available, but I have French, Spanish, Italian, German, Portuguese, Swedish, and Danish all prioritized above Polish.
That seems like a pretty reasonable way of doing it. You tend to work in one language at a time. Thanks for the info.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:

Option-c gives you ç
Option-e gives you é
Option-u gives you ü
Option-n gives you ñ
Etc.

That's on your Apple screen. If you put your Option-c into an html file it will show as ç - in the file I was working on the word will be estramaçons rather then estramaçons. I hope you will respond and tell me how you would type estramaçons on your Apple computer so that I can read it on my Windows computer, or someone else could read it on a Linux computer.

It seems to me the whole point of having standards is to enable people to communicate with each other across languages and operating systems. I really haven't found it hard to memorise the most common accents, and to have an html manual by my desk in which I can look up the rest. There are oodles of places on the internet from where one can download free lists.