Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
cos2147
cos2147 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Downloading From Amazon

I'd like to download some of the cheap titles from Amazon, but I don't have a Kindle and I don't necessarily want to just read them on my PC; can someone offer advice?

thanks very much

Mark
cos2147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
You can convert the files (most likely mobi from Amazon) to an epub format using software called "Calibre"
It's free and works quite well.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If they have Amazon DRM, you would need to remove that before the books can be converted to ePUB. Google Apprentice Alf for more information.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
I am not quite so sure. Amazon books are in AZW format. It does not repesent itself on Calibre as a file type and I don't know if you can just substitute the AZW extension with mobi
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
cos2147
cos2147 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
thanks very much to all for the response. I'll give them a go. I already have Calibre.
cos2147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
install kindle for PC - then download books to your PC. They can then be imported into Calibre, with the help of Alf, then converted and loaded on to any reader.
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote