Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #1441
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Often it seems that trouble-shooting these issues is compounded by cumulative updates vs fresh install (empty db).

Once 3.0.12 seemed to fix my epub3 issue, the first thing I did was to completely wipe Bookari and reinstall to see if everything was still working. ..
do you not use theme custom colours then, or are you able to easily re-create previous ones, as they are all destroyed by an uninstall ( for me anyway) ?

I think that extra fonts previously added to mantano/fonts survive the uninstall process but it has been a while since I uninstalled
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #1442
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
do you not use theme custom colours then, or are you able to easily re-create previous ones, as they are all destroyed by an uninstall ( for me anyway) ?
My themes are very basic. One for epub2 and one for epub3. I do use a custom background color (for both), but as long as it's in the ballpark of "sepia," I'm good. The other theme settings are trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I think that extra fonts previously added to mantano/fonts survive the uninstall process but it has been a while since I uninstalled
Yes. As long as you don't delete mantano/fonts, your downloaded and custom added fonts should remain intact. I only read with one font (a custom one) so even if it gets wiped, the font-files are easy to put back.

I keep things simple on purpose. If my tablet gets screwed up, I don't want to spend weeks getting everything back after a factory reset. So I'm fairly practiced at starting over (both at the app and the OS level). I realize that's not quite typical.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2016 at 05:10 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #1443
Jean-Marie
Mantano President&Founder
Jean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the rough

Device: Many, many...
Hello DiapDealer & all,

Quick reply after publishing the 3.0.14: we had to publish it quickly since we really had a bad issue with highlights (students very annoyed). So we tested it very carefully internally and with automated tests but it didn't go through our beta channel. BUT we'll do some beta testing again very very shortly. I will post new instructions (I think the link you had is obsolete).

About your issues: ok, thanks a lot for your explanation, it will be easy to test and fix. I can't reply in detail now since I'm in a rush but it will be investigated and you'll have a beta for testing.

Cheers

Quote:
Often it seems that trouble-shooting these issues is compounded by cumulative updates vs fresh install (empty db).

The descriptive text for instance: during the normal update process, only the newest imports started dropping the description. Books imported under previous versions still showed their descriptions. Once Bookari was completely re-installed (and db wiped), no imported books were showing descriptions.

The same thing occurred with my epub3 issue: epub3s imported with earlier versions were using the epub3 renderer ... newly imported epub3s were not. And once a fresh install of 3.0.9/10 (ish) was done (db wiped), no epub3s imported would use the epub3 renderer anymore.

Once 3.0.12 seemed to fix my epub3 issue, the first thing I did was to completely wipe Bookari and reinstall to see if everything was still working. And it was (with the exception of those piddly--for me--details I mentioned above).

I'm certainly interested and willing. I think I tried to respond to an invitation to do so earlier in the thread, but my email apparently didn't make it to the address you referred to (granted the address was given in internet-anti-spam speak).
Jean-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #1444
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marie View Post
About your issues: ok, thanks a lot for your explanation, it will be easy to test and fix. I can't reply in detail now since I'm in a rush but it will be investigated and you'll have a beta for testing.
Take your time. I don't consider any of my current issues very critical.

I'll have to check out 3.0.14. I'm still on 3.0.12, and haven't even seen an update notice yet. So it must have been published very recently!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-27-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #1445
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marie View Post
Hello DiapDealer & all,
Cheers
Fine for me. My preference would be for a fix that can re-scan without a complete DB re-import - but I don't know how that will work for you.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #1446
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I have discovered that the Bookari app (=Mantano reader) is rather inefficient in storing covers. (Android). It seems that it extracts the (usually) well compressed JPG cover embedded in an epub eBook and store the image as a PNG picture in original size on internal storage, in a hidden folder structure. This may mean that the stored cover can be a few MB in size when the book itself is significantly smaller than 1MB, perhaps only 150-250KB or so. This is typically the case when the cover is in the form of a large busy photo with text and the book is a novel without any other illustrations. PNG is bad at compressing busy photos, while JPG is much better. It seems ridiculous to store the covers as files several times bigger than the books from which the cover is extracted, converted from JPG, but that is sometimes the case now.

And it doesn't seem to be possible to move the stored covers to external storage, even if Bookari itself can be moved to external sd-card.

So if you have a 128 GB external sd-card and perhaps only 8 GB interna storage and a lot of books and magazines to store, perhaps periodicals with big photo covers, you may encounter serious problems since the covers takes up a lot of space on the internal storage. The covers take a lot more room on the internal storage than the books on the external sd-card. And if you have limited internal memory you may want to use it for other apps as well...

I suggest that you use JPG format instead of PNG to store the covers and/or reduce the size. Or make it possible to store the covers on an external storage. Perhaps automatically if the app is moved to external storage? I tested resizing the PNGs and was able to reduce the space needed to store covers to a similar size as the storage needed to store the actual books.

Otherwise, I am very pleased with the app!

Last edited by Adoby; 07-27-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: fixed speling gramar some and
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:24 AM   #1447
ganhanugrah
ganhanugrah began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks, i'll try it..
ganhanugrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:14 AM   #1448
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Any news on a fix for the issue with Descriptions not importing?
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #1449
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karina View Post

Please do not hesitate to send us your wishes and comments. We will do our best to meet your expectations !
iOS user looking for a Marvin replacement for Android. I can't seem to find an ebook app on Android that supports/handles Series information. I like to organize my books by series name, series order. Does yours do that?
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #1450
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the simple way to to that for any android reader, is to use a template in calibre which adds that stuff to the title and then fetch the books for the reader app via calibre companion. I cribbed my template from the calibre forum and what I now get is series name-#series number-title in the title field IF the book is in a series, just title if it is not.
other wise you have to do it manually in the client reader, as there is no way for it to know that stuff, if's not stored within the epub. This way you still have to set it, but only once in your calibre library.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #1451
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Bookari v4.0 Premium released.

Looks like some pretty sgnificant UI changes (though the reading experience seems largely unchanged to me). I do like the fact that the UI theme can be changed from day/night without affecting the "reading" theme. So I can have the dark UI/library theme while still being able to select my various custom reading themes.

I approve of the new look, myself, but I wanted to give others a heads up. You may want to back up your current version, so you can easily roll back if you don't like v4.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #1452
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Bookari v4.0 Premium released.

Looks like some pretty sgnificant UI changes (though the reading experience seems largely unchanged to me). I do like the fact that the UI theme can be changed from day/night without affecting the "reading" theme. So I can have the dark UI/library theme while still being able to select my various custom reading themes.

I approve of the new look, myself, but I wanted to give others a heads up. You may want to back up your current version, so you can easily roll back if you don't like v4.
So now the version sold at Amazon will be at least two versions behind. The last time it was updated was June 28 2016. That's ridiculous for a paid app.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #1453
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
So now the version sold at Amazon will be at least two versions behind. The last time it was updated was June 28 2016. That's ridiculous for a paid app.
I'm certainly not making excuses for Mantano/Bookari, but I've heard many other Android app developers complain about the process for getting their apps approved for the Amazon/Fire store. Stripping the Google Play licensing portions from the app is probably a nightmare itself.

Still ... they probably shouldn't sell a premium version on Amazon if they're not going to keep it in relative sync with it's Google Play cousin.

But the Amazon Bookari is really only one version behind the Google one. I imagine the tiny update a day or so ago was only prep work for version 4.0.

Except for this week, I don't think the Google version has had an update since much earlier in the year either. So hopefully they'll get the Amazon version caught up shortly.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #1454
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

Still ... they probably shouldn't sell a premium version on Amazon if they're not going to keep it in relative sync with it's Google Play cousin.
This is the reason for my complaint.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #1455
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlawson View Post
I just want to say to Karina. I think it is excellent that a representative from the company has taken her time to interact with the end user! This is an excellent indication of the support customers will receive, as well as how the company receives input from the end user! Bravo to you and to Mantano!
I agree Mantano Bookari is an excellent product, that is into the market since ages.

It is a really attractive viewer even for companies considering the inbuilt cloud subscription possibilities, also if the end user is more attracted by Dropbox and maybe even more by GoogleDrive considering the amazing storage possibilities in comparison with Dropbox

Anyway please consider to manage pdf reflow highlight like in the past RepligoReader had, also I would expect a pinch and zoom reflow with more zoom power.

Another minor issue with Mantano is that sometimes crashes and I experienced some delay in responsivness, please consider more multithread possibilities or RXJava libraries if is an out of memoryException, or some TDD.

Said that the paid version for me is number 1 in the market for the amazing features it offers, when you speak about customization and book collections management Mantano is just amazing. Also if I have also to say that layout speaking I found also really attractive the MoonReader Feature that offer the epub title covers in a gigantic grid view. I love to see the cover of my book a bit bigger if I use tablets

Last edited by trocchietto; 12-13-2016 at 03:38 PM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote