Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
VNC Client on a large format Android or Linux Device?

I know there are a ton of solid VNC apps for Linux so I am wondering is anyone using a Xoom or Tab or any Android device of 10" or larger has tried a VNC client to connect to a Windows PC and run apps remotely to gain access to those apps when there is no and never will be an Android based analog of the needed app.

I also asked this in the Apple Devices section but figured it's not that spammy to also ask here given the OS difference.

I am even wondering if a rooted Nook color would be enough though it's CPU might not handle the overhead.

Not running graphic intensive app remotely but more of a vanilla Windows database app for the most part.

Any feedback based on experience with a current device would be really helpful.

thanks!
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes I've VNC'ed with the nookColor and it is doable. However the real limitation is not really the CPU or network bandwidth, it's the lack of a mouse/keyboard.

I used a free VNC client, I don't know if the commercial ones are any better.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
So, if I had a Bluetooth KB/Mouse it could work?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes I've VNC'ed with the nookColor and it is doable. However the real limitation is not really the CPU or network bandwidth, it's the lack of a mouse/keyboard.

I used a free VNC client, I don't know if the commercial ones are any better.

=X=
Yeah, that is my concern, the mouse & keyboard input. I found some iOS clients that work as I would hope so there is always an iPad 2 or better as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
My hope is the virtual keyboard would work for my needs and the VNC client would handle translating touches into mouse movements and actions.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes. The client I used was "VNC Client". This product is free and was designed with a keyboard in mind.
I guess lack of a mouse is not really an issue one can pinch and zoom as well as tap to simulate a click. The real issue was a lack of keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
Yeah, that is my concern, the mouse & keyboard input. I found some iOS clients that work as I would hope so there is always an iPad 2 or better as an option.

My hope is the virtual keyboard would work for my needs and the VNC client would handle translating touches into mouse movements and actions.
Yes most of those product exist for Android too.

If you're willing to drop a dime there is LogMeIn that has a virtual keyboard and allows for a tap to act as a mouse click.

Here is a video of the LogMeIn for Android

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Yes. The client I used was "VNC Client". This product is free and was designed with a keyboard in mind.
I guess lack of a mouse is not really an issue one can pinch and zoom as well as tap to simulate a click. The real issue was a lack of keyboard.

If you're willing to drop a dime there is LogMeIn that has a virtual keyboard and allows for a tap to act as a mouse click.

=X=
That looks pretty cool!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
grumpy3b
Banned

Doesn't it? I had not shopped for any VNC packages in long while as even my need for VNC went away for a while. Not as I see only two Win 7 devices (the HP 500 and the Eee EP121 both of which have marginal at best numbers and features) so I am expanding into the iOS and Android devices. Looking at WebOS and the Blackberry devices as well. No matter what I am sure I would like a pocket device and a slate which, unfortunately, puts the ball in Apple's court with it being their game to lose.

I've read enough that you like you Xoom. So, I am hoping for a nice deal later this year for it. My only issue on most of the large screen slates is the aspect ratio is too narrow for running my work apps. But I suppose I can become accustom to anything given enough time. Heck I worked on a black & white VGA monitor for a couple years. It was a brand-x monitor that cost only about $100 back in 1990-1992 but they were near indestructible. In fact some are still in service at my old company. So I think a 16:9 slate that even if it's not what I want I might decide to try if I completely dismiss the iOS family.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Doesn't it? I had not shopped for any VNC packages in long while as even my need for VNC went away for a while. Not as I see only two Win 7 devices (the HP 500 and the Eee EP121 both of which have marginal at best numbers and features)
One of the users here, HansTWN, just got a Win7 Tablet and is very happy with it-I don't think it was the 500...you might want to ping him and ask about his experience with it-might fit your needs too.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
grumpy3b
Banned

nice, thanks I poke around and see what falls from the search-trees.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
While you're at it, check the enTourage eDGe forum (http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php). I know (from reading, haven't tried it yet) that the eDGe works with Team Viewer, and I think I saw some posts about VNC as well. It has a built-in mouse-type thing (optical on PE, trackball on EE) that might help -- or not.

Sorry I broke your rule about personal experience, but I figured the eDGe would not just pop into your brain as an option!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
While you're at it, check the enTourage eDGe forum (http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php). I know (from reading, haven't tried it yet) that the eDGe works with Team Viewer, and I think I saw some posts about VNC as well. It has a built-in mouse-type thing (optical on PE, trackball on EE) that might help -- or not.

Sorry I broke your rule about personal experience, but I figured the eDGe would not just pop into your brain as an option!
thanks not interested in either Entourage product as I have no idea if tomorrow their doors will open. Maybe next year they will be stable enough for consideration. I hope so as it's a neat device, just not a platform I want invest my hard earned cash.

And after some point in the tread it always drifts so good info is always worth reading!! Thanks for jumping off that cliff!

Last edited by grumpy3b; 04-13-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:23 AM   #12
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
One of the users here, HansTWN, just got a Win7 Tablet and is very happy with it-I don't think it was the 500...you might want to ping him and ask about his experience with it-might fit your needs too.
Perhaps it was his HP 2740 convertible tablet. If so it's a nice box but I am after a slate though if those drop enough I might re-think one as an option.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #13
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
thanks not interested in either Entourage product as I have no idea if tomorrow their doors will open. Maybe next year they will be stable enough for consideration. I hope so as it's a neat device, just not a platform I want invest my hard earned cash.
Well, there is that . . . .

Quote:
And after some point in the tread it always drifts so good info is always worth reading!! Thanks for jumping off that cliff!
Whew! Thank you!

Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I know there are a ton of solid VNC apps for Linux so I am wondering is anyone using a Xoom or Tab or any Android device of 10" or larger has tried a VNC client to connect to a Windows PC and run apps remotely to gain access to those apps when there is no and never will be an Android based analog of the needed app.
Another thought is that if the target PCs you are accessing are Windows one, you might well be better off using an RDP client (where the server is built-in to Windows), rather than a VNC one that requires a separate server program. VNC has an obvious advantage if you are targeting several different backend operating systems.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:

=X=
I've been using Logmein for about 5 months now and for PC to PC, it's free and the best remote desktop program I've seen, period! (I switched over from years of VNC use). The Android app is a little buggy (and $30 but totally worth it!) and the customer service has its extreme highs and lows and they still haven't fixed this one bug I've had (had to do with changing settings in a session and not being able to back out of the menu). One nice thing about Logmein - no Firewall config needed (I had to do port forwarding shenanigans for VNC and finally got sick of it when our lab network got upgraded). It runs in a browser using Java or a Firefox plugin (the latter hasn't been updated for FF4 yet but the Java applet works just fine). It's a very professional program and a free account at Logmein gives you centralized access to all your remote PCs.

But, all in all, I'd have to say that they're sitting on top of the market at this point when it comes to remote desktops. I control two lab PCs from the android phone app which comes with a pretty slick mouse and keyboard implementation built in. Works quite well (and the bug I mentioned is only a settings menu bug that will probably never come up since I don't have to change anything henceforth).
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, vnc