Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
MID benchmarking

Hi all, I recently started selling the JE 200 Win CE device on our site and was surprised to find it so much slower than my 18 month old smartphone. My smartphone is a HTC Touch Diamond which is a pretty slick little machine and it does have a fair bit of memory to play with.

To be fair to the JE and a lot of 7 inch MIDs out there, they have slower processors and limited memory for two reasons, to keep the price down and also to extend battery life. To me battery life is more important than speed on a device that is primarily used as an eBook reader.

I have just put an update to ZuluReader (ePub reading app for Win Mobile and Win CE) on the site that now displays properly on all screen formats and in portrait and landscape.

I am looking for owners of as many different make and model MIDs as possible to try the new version of ZR and let me know how long it takes to move from one page to another. On my HTC the page redraws so fast that it may as well be instant. On the JE 200 it takes about 2 1/2 seconds and since it starts drawing the new page from top to bottom you can actually start reading the new page virtually as soon as you swipe or tap.

If anyone is interested in benchmarking their device let me know and I'll send you an ePub to try it with. All results will be published here as they come in and summarised later. The results could serve as a guide to those considering buying a MID for use as an eBook Reader.

Cheers,

Steve.
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote