Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #31
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Current labeling of books as "Christian fiction" just seems to be a marketing code for "reading this will not cause you to question your faith or your worldview, so it is safe".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #32
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't blame people at all for labeling their stuff as religious, and I don't blame people who look for that label. Different strokes for different folks. C. S. Lewis was a religious science fiction writer-try "Out of the Silent Planet". As for the books, some are good, some are bad. If you are religious and have kids try, The Sugar Creek Gang series. There are some good books there.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #33
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
When I went into a Salvation Army used store one time, they had a shelf marked fiction. That was the section where they put the bibles. I thought it was very appropriate.

I avoid anything labelled as Christian but I have read good science fiction stories that dealt with Christianity.

One of the most memorable as Arthur C Clarke's short story, "The Star."

And another memorable one had clones of Jesus and Bhudda.

But neither one of these were specifically Christian fiction or science fiction.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #34
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
I agree with the mention of CS Lewis. I would consider him a fairly top-notch author who writes from a Christian perspective. (I actually just read "'Till we have faces" a few months ago and enjoyed it.) As with Christian music, movies, whatever (and undoubtedly this applies to other subset specialty groups as well - it's not a Christian-specific phenomenon) the problem is subrate artists that couldn't compete on the mass market are accepted in this more specialized niche. It creates a market for subrate art. It doesn't mean that all Christian artists are bad anymore than it means all secular artists are good, it just means it's easier to get your stuff out in a niche market so more crap results.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #35
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I despise them as much as the ones with the label Zombie or any other subculture preaching to the choir.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Current labeling of books as "Christian fiction" just seems to be a marketing code for "reading this will not cause you to question your faith or your worldview, so it is safe".
Yes, I think it is like labeling food Kosher. It has an appeal to those who hunger for purity, even if they're outside the targeted group.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #37
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I read one of the "Left Behind" series. It was free on Amazon. Unless you have a religious background, you most likely won't even understand what's happening in the novel. The writing is atrocious. The book serves as a platform for the author to preach his brand of dogma to the reader. Needless to say, I won't be reading any more of the series.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:43 AM   #38
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
FYI, the Wikipedia article "Christian novel" describes the Christian fiction genre and its subgenres, lists associated authors, publishers, and exemplary titles, and provides links to a number of legitimate resources.

Last edited by Froide; 09-08-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think that "Christian Fiction" is constrained no less by its genre than any other type of fiction. I mean if you buy a Western you don't expect to see aliens from Mars or have the main plot be a romance (though the hero might romance the local school marm) and likewise Christian Fiction is fiction that operates within a framework as well. The characters have to stick within the guidelines of morality (as defined in doctrine) or face the consequences of their actions. I'm sure it can be done badly but just because it has a set of guidelines based in Christian doctrine doesn't (I think) mean that it has to have an agenda. It might have in some cases, but if it violates its own guidelines (for what makes Christian Fiction what it is) then it's no longer Christian Fiction, but something else instead.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #40
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
When I went into a Salvation Army used store one time, they had a shelf marked fiction. That was the section where they put the bibles. I thought it was very appropriate.

I avoid anything labelled as Christian but I have read good science fiction stories that dealt with Christianity.

One of the most memorable as Arthur C Clarke's short story, "The Star."

And another memorable one had clones of Jesus and Bhudda.

But neither one of these were specifically Christian fiction or science fiction.
Ah but as I understand it Mr. Clarke wasn't a believer in the Christian faith so while "The Star" may have dealt 'fictionally' with the subject he wasn't trying to write a Christian fiction when he wrote it. It is an interesting story though I agree.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #41
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't mind reading a book where the main character is Christian (or any other religion) and attends services, thinks about values, avoids certain behaviors or foods due to religion, etc., as long as this is not the main focus of the story.

However, I don't want to read a book that preaches to the reader, either directly or by having one or more characters preach to the others.

I once checked out a library book from Overdrive that was not labeled "Christian", nor did the description reference God/Christianity etc. The story was going along OK until about half or 2/3 through, when the main character and his love interest went to church, the text of the sermon was included in the book, the main characters embraced the faith, and afterward the characters started talking about God to everybody else to the point where I just skipped to the end to find out how the book turned out.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #42
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Yes, I think it is like labeling food Kosher. It has an appeal to those who hunger for purity, even if they're outside the targeted group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I read one of the "Left Behind" series. It was free on Amazon. ... The book serves as a platform for the author to preach his brand of dogma to the reader.
I like that these two quotes follow each other directly. As in any genre, authors have different motivations and thematic goals.

For a while, my feeling was that "Christian" fiction meant preaching the Gospel. Left Behind -- from what I've heard, not having read it -- comes from that "tradition."

Maybe blame Narnia?

OTOH, Father Andrew Greeley wrote from a perspective of Christianity being true and real and influential in characters lives. A female English author took a similar tack -- her name escapes me, sorry -- her work being more "literary" (and awesome).

And what of The Lord of the Rings? Written from a powerfully faithful Christian worldview. Or A Clockwork Orange in a similar vein, and making direct philosophical challenges from a Christian perspective.

Can you imagine the film A Clockwork Orange being labeled "Christian"? But that's what it is.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #43
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I don't read the genre "Christian Fiction", but I have read and enjoyed many books with Christian themes like Ben Hur, Quo Vadis, the early Narnia books, The Robe, Small Woman(The Inn of the Sixth Happiness), At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald, and The Pilgrim's Progress.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I don't read the genre "Christian Fiction", but I have read and enjoyed many books with Christian themes like Ben Hur, Quo Vadis, the early Narnia books, The Robe, Small Woman(The Inn of the Sixth Happiness), At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald, and The Pilgrim's Progress.
Lloyd C. Douglas (who wrote the Robe) also wrote "The Big Fisherman" which like "The Robe" was made into a movie back in the late 50's early 60's. I doubt we'll see such epics in theaters again any time soon. They'd cost far too much to produce alas.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:22 AM   #45
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm an atheist so I don't have much interest in reading any - chose your prefix- religion books. I'm glad they are labeled so I can know what I'm getting and not get them.

That being said, I read fantasy and some of those do have christian undertones. I don't mind that. I mind overt religious agenda and preachiness in books.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote