Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #376
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
double posted

Last edited by Booxtor; 03-29-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #377
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renushan View Post
The new firmware has not solved my scribbling problem. I've attached an exported image where I've rounded the not working area, near the top and bottom, over the right extreme.

Also the file manager isn't working.
Hi,
I guess it is rather a hardware problem. Please contact your shop for further instruction.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #378
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
I've just encountered this posting in the other thread illustrating what I expect to happen a lot with the M92 (metadata issue):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=62

An X60 user complains that
"Using a blank pdf as a template – the scribbles are lost when I rename the template."

I really think that hiding the metadata from users (or storing in a way that its connection to a document is not obvious) is a bad idea.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #379
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
PDFXChange viewer in Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
I remember the 'flatten' option to be grayed out when I tried to use it... but nevermind if it works for others
In latest version (I guess, I downloaded it few days ago..) it is not grayed. They seem to have the same binary for Viewer and Pro version. So, Viewer is also sort of Demo behaving like unregistered Pro. And flattening is therefore possible, but if you save the doc, DEMO watermark is added. If you want to avoid the watermark, you must print before saving.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #380
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

concatenation issue

@Booxtor: (context: annotation .txt export omitting spaces) I just noticed that the bookmarks in affected PDFs show also strings without the empty spaces.

Moreover, it seems to happen in 'a lot of' (didn't check on 'all') scientific papers... which (in my area of research) are often created from LaTeX source <- maybe this bit of information helps identifying the cause of the problem.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #381
phycodurus
phycodurus began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M90
Firmware Updating - newbie questions

1. <Copy the file to a sd card and put it into your device>
Can I put the SD card into the M92 & then copy the file to it there, or do I need to get something else to connect the SD card to my PC?

2. The file to be copied is the .zip, or should one unpack it first? (It currently won't unpack on my Mac, so I guess the former, but would just like to check.)

3. My camera (Canon Ixus) has an SD card: is it safe to use that in the M92, or might it mess up the SD card for use in the camera? (formatting etc)

4. <you can every time roll back to the 1.6>
I hope I don't need to, but how does one "roll back" - is there a menu option to do this, or would one start again with the same procedure and the 1.6 file?
phycodurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #382
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by phycodurus View Post
1. <Copy the file to a sd card and put it into your device>
Can I put the SD card into the M92 & then copy the file to it there, or do I need to get something else to connect the SD card to my PC?

2. The file to be copied is the .zip, or should one unpack it first? (It currently won't unpack on my Mac, so I guess the former, but would just like to check.)

3. My camera (Canon Ixus) has an SD card: is it safe to use that in the M92, or might it mess up the SD card for use in the camera? (formatting etc)

4. <you can every time roll back to the 1.6>
I hope I don't need to, but how does one "roll back" - is there a menu option to do this, or would one start again with the same procedure and the 1.6 file?
1) it needs to be there when you boot

2) is answered by update procedure doc

3) unless it knows the zip password, it couldn't - even if it were eager to copy every SD card content it finds over its firmware

4) you install 1.6 (period)

Cheers.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #383
kodomo
M92 info archivist

@Booxtor: is there any news on
kernel / gui_shell / system_manager
source?

fyi: I saw a git repository update, which however did solve the issues I listed (some merely have changed (e.g., cr3 still isn't compatible)

Without gui_shell and system_manager source, it is quite impossible to extend the system or UI functionality (e.g., I'd very much like to implement the screensaver feature on the wishlist - I'd have a clear idea for a hack to do that... but I won't be able to do it, unless I can call the script while reading documents)

Is anyone aware of a plugin interface I did not find yet? (I don't have a lot of time right now, so I may have overlooked it in my haste)
If one could register scripts/programs with the menu, that'd at least open the door to improvise something...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #384
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
@Booxtor: (context: annotation .txt export omitting spaces) I just noticed that the bookmarks in affected PDFs show also strings without the empty spaces.

Moreover, it seems to happen in 'a lot of' (didn't check on 'all') scientific papers... which (in my area of research) are often created from LaTeX source <- maybe this bit of information helps identifying the cause of the problem.
I've stumbled across similar effect as well. But this also happens in Acrobat and Evince, so either it is not Boox-related or you are speaking of yet somethin else. It probably has to do with how the text is overlayed on/under scanned page (I'm wondering if converting the pdf with calibre to some other format, like epub, and then back again to pdf, may help, given how destructive calibre is on pdfs).
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #385
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
I've stumbled across similar effect as well. But this also happens in Acrobat and Evince, so either it is not Boox-related or you are speaking of yet somethin else. It probably has to do with how the text is overlayed on/under scanned page (I'm wondering if converting the pdf with calibre to some other format, like epub, and then back again to pdf, may help, given how destructive calibre is on pdfs).
My main issue is that text annotated and exported to .txt lacks all spaces.
The document itself looks perfectly normal.
I just noticed the effect in the bookmark titles as well.

Since I'm not aware of annotation or bookmark features in (at least the Linux versions of) evince and acroread, I'm not sure we talk about the same issue.
(Just for the sake of it, I just tried marking/copy-pasting text out of an affected document... it worked on acroread and evince, but omitted spaces on the M92)

My guess would be that it's encoding related... and that the std. options of latex/pdflatex/dvips/pstopdf produce PDFs with a certain peculiarity the Boox can't cope with.

P.S.: I just noticed that double-quotes (") of an affected document just turned out multi-character-garbage... could it be a unicode<->ascii issue?

Last edited by kodomo; 03-30-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #386
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
Hi,

AFAIK they are looking for solution but it seem that it is a fault of Adobe SDK.
Here is the answer from Onyx concerning annotation exporting without spaces between words:
" ... We found that it is an issue of Adobe SDK. The Adobe SDK does not recognize the words correctly in some PDFs. That's why the exporting annotations with spaces missing. And also that's why in PDF it is not possible to navigate words one by one by direction key (up/down/left/right), instead, only line by line in dictionary function.
The PocketBook's default PDF reader is also using Adobe SDK. And it also has this problem by using its dictionary function. ..."
Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #387
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Is anyone aware of a plugin interface I did not find yet? (I don't have a lot of time right now, so I may have overlooked it in my haste)
If one could register scripts/programs with the menu, that'd at least open the door to improvise something...
I would also be interested in a plugin interface. But there already exists the possibility to at least add menu entries to the main menu "Applications", see here: http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=20120324042ldj47.jpg

I guess what you are targeted at is an entry in the "pop up menu" next to "rotate screen" etc.?
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #388
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
I guess what you are targeted at is an entry in the "pop up menu" next to "rotate screen" etc.?
right - the menu that pops up whenever 'home' is pressed.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #389
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
right - the menu that pops up whenever 'home' is pressed.
Okay, I'd love to have access to that menu, as well. So we really need the sources for gui_shell und system_manager, Booxtor! Please keep asking Onyx for those.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #390
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Since I'm not aware of annotation or bookmark features in (at least the Linux versions of) evince and acroread, I'm not sure we talk about the same issue.
(Just for the sake of it, I just tried marking/copy-pasting text out of an affected document... it worked on acroread and evince, but omitted spaces on the M92)
Yeah, I meant copy-paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
" ... We found that it is an issue of Adobe SDK. The Adobe SDK does not recognize the words correctly in some PDFs. That's why the exporting annotations with spaces missing. And also that's why in PDF it is not possible to navigate words one by one by direction key (up/down/left/right), instead, only line by line in dictionary function.
So apparently there are two bugs...
janek is offline   Reply With Quote