Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, from Java code it seems Home applet rescans the book list when the content folders are updated.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Which probably means it maintains a disk cache somewhere.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Which probably means it maintains a disk cache somewhere.
Why do you think that? If it rescans all books when one book is added I would have thought that was evidence for no cache.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I doubt it rescans all books, just the books in the affected folder. It would be pretty silly to rescan all books if you know only one book/folder has changed. Also the reboot issue.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've been massaging a number of .prc and .mobi files for my Kindle using tompe's mobiperl programs. Using mobi2mobi I've found quite a few files that do not have the EXTH record and you cannot add author names. You think that the title has been changed but once the file is on the Kindle you can see the title has not been changed and the author's name is not there.

My solution has been to redownload the files as .lit when possible and use lit2mobi. The titles are changed and you can add the author because the EXTH record is created when the .lit is converted to .mobi

I'm no programmer but this is what I've observed.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #21
geoelectric
geoelectric began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Well, whatever -they- did, I want the original files stamped so that if I reload them later, I don't have to re-edit.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out their ability to edit metadata is very underdeveloped, even insofar as a cache goes. There's absolutely no way to change metadata on-Kindle, which is unfortunate as a number of free books have very poor filenames.
geoelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
There's absolutely no way to change metadata on-Kindle, which is unfortunate as a number of free books have very poor filenames.
Tompe's "mobi2mobi" tool will allow you to edit the metadata of Kindle books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 AM   #23
geoelectric

Well, which is where this started.

I've only run into a couple of books like TallMomof2 mentions, but they certainly are annoying when you find them. The .lit trick's a good one, I'll remember that. Still (and not to look a gift horse in the mouth--they're otherwise awesome) I wish mobi2mobi could add the EXTH header instead of just dealing with what's there.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
Well, which is where this started.

I've only run into a couple of books like TallMomof2 mentions, but they certainly are annoying when you find them. The .lit trick's a good one, I'll remember that. Still (and not to look a gift horse in the mouth--they're otherwise awesome) I wish mobi2mobi could add the EXTH header instead of just dealing with what's there.
Well it does add extra headers if needed but I just realized a possible bug when setting EXTH header information does not work if there is no EXTH header at all in the file. I will look into that. But that does not explain why the title could not be changed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #25
geoelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well it does add extra headers if needed but I just realized a possible bug when setting EXTH header information does not work if there is no EXTH header at all in the file. I will look into that. But that does not explain why the title could not be changed.
I hadn't seen that issue on my side. I was able to change the title of the two EXTH-free books I found.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #26
Tchadwick
Tchadwick began at the beginning.

displaying authors

First off I want to say that I love what Baen is doing and I will patronize them both buying EBooks and paper.

I went to the Baen Free Library.
I downloaded several books, from some of my favorite authors.
I uploaded them to my Kindle (which I do LOVE) and I can read them.
The problem was addressed but I don’t understand or it seemed ambiguous to me.

When I go to my home page of my Kindle (which I do LOVE) I see the title of the book. I can open the book and read it, but the author does not appear as the ones do that I bought from Amazon. Will I have this issue from the other free book places (freedbook.com) and is it the same fix?

Thanks

Terry
Tchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #27
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
The only free site that has proper mobi (i.e. author etc metadata) format is feedbook.com.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchadwick View Post
When I go to my home page of my Kindle (which I do LOVE) I see the title of the book. I can open the book and read it, but the author does not appear as the ones do that I bought from Amazon. Will I have this issue from the other free book places (freedbook.com) and is it the same fix?
There are two MOBI formats, the older one does not include the author as metadata and so this does not appear on the Kindle's home page. The fix is to use mobi2mobi to add an author, see PRC to MOBI.

Most free and multi-format sites use the older MOBI format, but feedbooks uses the new format and so the author should get listed. I think Baen will be (or already is) using the new format for new e-books.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Baen have been using the "proper" Mobi format for new eBooks for a couple of months now. They don't appear, however, to be rebuilding older books for the newer format; when an older book reappears in a new "Webscriptions" package it's still in the old format.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
The only free site that has proper mobi (i.e. author etc metadata) format is feedbook.com.
Ahem! What about THIS site?