Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #136
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleapple View Post
When faced with a chapter in two parts, say 25a.zip and 25b.zip, Canti extracts one as title_-_ch with no number and it gets slapped at the front of the first volume, the other doesn't seem to be extracted anywhere.
That's because Canti can only handle interpreting numbers in the filename suffix. It starts from the end of the filename and reads backwards (not including the extension, of course), starting with nothing and building up as it reads. However, as soon as it sees a non-numeral character it stops. That's why "25a" -> "" and "25b" -> "" (i.e. both empty strings, and since they match they output to the same folder, which can cause some files to be overwritten).

You have two choices to deal with this situation:
1) Rename the suffix to something Canti can understand (for example, "25a.zip" -> "25.1.zip" and "25b.zip" -> "25.2.zip".
2) Enable use_original_filenames, and Canti won't try to automatically determine the suffix. Unfortunately this also means you don't get the output files to look all nicely named like [title]_-_[manga_prefix][suffix].[extension].
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #137
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

[duplicate post... how did that happen?]

Last edited by lilman; 11-14-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #138
kindleapple
kindleapple began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.16.2.1.1
25.#.zip will work, thanks!

Been using the gui all afternoon with no problems

Last edited by kindleapple; 11-14-2010 at 09:10 PM.
kindleapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #139
lilman
Addict

Just a heads up on what I'm working on now:
Before I start working on making CantiGUI look good, I'm going to start making the website for my software development group. That site will be the future host of Canti (and other apps). I will probably still be the only one working on Canti, but at least one friend will be joining me on a commercial project.

So unless there are any bugs to fix, don't expect a new Canti or CantiGUI release any time soon.

Quote:
25.#.zip will work, thanks!

Been using the gui all afternoon with no problems
That's good to hear. If anyone experiences any problems with the gui, please let me know.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #140
kindleapple

I've seen a problem twice now with spaces in the output folder's name. It processes the images and acts like it finished succesfully but there's no .pdf/.cbz/whatever files outputted.

Rename the output folder so it doesn't have spaces and it works fine.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #141
lilman
Addict

Quote:
I've seen a problem twice now with spaces in the output folder's name. It processes the images and acts like it finished succesfully but there's no .pdf/.cbz/whatever files outputted.

Rename the output folder so it doesn't have spaces and it works fine.
I just tested spaces in output_folder on my setup and it works fine. Please provide more details so that I can reproduce the problem. Here's the details of my test setup:

Canti version: 1.94
Using CantiGUI?: yes (v1.00)
Ereader: k2
Any .properties settings you changed: none
output_folder: /home/andrew/Desktop/test out/

-Update-
Also tested in my Windows setup and spaces in output_folder worked properly:

Canti version: 1.94
Using CantiGUI? :yes (v1.00)
Ereader: k2
Any .properties settings you changed: none
output_folder C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Desktop\test out\

Last edited by lilman; 11-16-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #142
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you soooooo much for creating a GUI
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #143
lilman
Addict

Found a bug in CantiGUI v1.00. The location of the "data" directory can vary depending on how you launch the .jar. The bug has been fixed, and I'm just waiting on feedback from kindleapple in case there is another bug that needs fixing.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #144
kindleapple

I think it was only happening with directories with more than one space, ie: /Battle Royale/ finished fine but /21st Century Boys/ had no output until I renamed the folder and ran it again.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #145
lilman
Addict

Here's CantiGUI v1.00a

New to version 1.00a:
-Bug fix: CantiGUI's "data" directory may not be located in the same directory as CantiGUI.jar
Depending on how you ran CantiGUI (either executing the .jar directly or starting it from a command line), the location of the "data" directory may be different.
This is a problem since the "data" directory stores session information for CantiGUI (like saved jobs), so you will always want to use the same "data" directory every time.
I think I fixed the problem, and now the "data" directory should always be located in the same directory as CantiGUI.jar.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CantiGUI_v1.00a.zip (163.1 KB, 266 views)
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #146
alphataru
alphataru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi there, thanks for the great problem.

Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to make it work. Basically, I would like to use your program to split double page scans that most of my manga are in. I ran into two problems.

1. I set auto_split_landscape_scans = true, however, none of my scans got splitted.

2. No matter how many times I try, I only get 4 images in the output folder, the cover, the back, and two random images in the middle. In fact, I'm not even sure if the output is any different from the original. (Those scans weren't splitted).

I've attached a sample image of what I'm trying to convert. I also attached the info in the Run box after conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	61508  
Attached Files
File Type: txt output.txt (227.6 KB, 458 views)

Last edited by alphataru; 11-20-2010 at 11:20 AM.
alphataru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #147
lilman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphataru View Post
2. No matter how many times I try, I only get 4 images in the output folder, the cover, the back, and two random images in the middle. In fact, I'm not even sure if the output is any different from the original. (Those scans weren't splitted).
From your output it looks like the ImageMagick install directory is stored wrong. Because of this, Canti has been unable to do any image processing. Check out Canti.properties, look for "image_magick_dir = " and make sure that the directory specified uses double backslashes "\\" in stead of single backslashes "\". For example, here's the line from my Canti.properties:
Code:
image_magick_dir = C:\\Program Files\\ImageMagick-6.6.3-Q16\\
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphataru View Post
1. I set auto_split_landscape_scans = true, however, none of my scans got splitted.
First, fix the problem I mentioned above and try running again. If you still have problems auto splitting landscape scans, read below:

The @auto_split_landscape_scans algorithm attempts to find a page split within a landscape scan and, if found, splits the scan into two parts at the detected page split. If none of your scans are getting split, then the page split detection algorithm isn't able to find the split. There are two things you can do in this situation:
1) Decrease the value of @auto_split_gray_strictness and @auto_split_color_strictness. These values are used by the page split detection algorithm in determining whether a sampled region of the scan is a page split or not. The lower the value, the less obvious the page split has to be for detection. Of course, lowering this also increases cases of false positives (i.e. detecting a page split when there isn't one).
2) If you set @auto_split_gray_strictness and @auto_split_color_strictness to 0, then all landscape scans will be split regardless of page split detection.

Let me know if you have any more problems/questions.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #148
RyanHua
RyanHua began at the beginning.

Firstly, tks Lilman for ur great effort in developing this software.

I haven't got the Kindle yet, and plan to get the Kindle 3. My only concern that after convert all the scan manga ( scale width/heigh, trim the white space), how the manga look on the 6inch screen. Is it readable? comfortable? 'cause i watch some review, the text of the manga look quite small on the Kindle 3. I don't want to get the DX one, money is the issue.

If u say yes, i will order the Kindle 3 immediately, tired of reading manga on my monitor.
RyanHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #149
lilman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHua View Post
I haven't got the Kindle yet, and plan to get the Kindle 3. My only concern that after convert all the scan manga ( scale width/heigh, trim the white space), how the manga look on the 6inch screen. Is it readable? comfortable? 'cause i watch some review, the text of the manga look quite small on the Kindle 3. I don't want to get the DX one, money is the issue.

If u say yes, i will order the Kindle 3 immediately, tired of reading manga on my monitor.
My first ereader was a sony prs-505. It also has a 6" screen and I got it solely for manga scans. Although the screens on these ereaders are so awesome that you can read even tiny text, it was too straining and annoying to read such tiny manga. I returned the prs-505 after 2 days and ordered a Kindle DX.

That's just my opinion, hopefully others reading manga on their ereader will chime in. I've heard some people specify the settings in Canti so that you hold the ereader in landscape orientation and the scans fill the screen's full landscape width (so rotate portrait scans to landscape, set the width to 800px, then scroll up/down on the ereader to view the entire height of the page). That probably makes the manga a lot more readable on a 6" screen, but it sounds annoying to have to vertically scroll through each page (especially if a panel of the scan uses the full height of the page).

So my advice is if you read a lot of digital manga, save up money for a larger screen. Maybe look into a used/refurbished DX, they seem to be available at a reasonable price. My favorite manga reader is the iPad, but that's still very expensive.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #150
alphataru
alphataru began at the beginning.

I'm wondering how you guys navigate manga using Kindle 3. It seems like no page jump function is useable at the moment, and you have to manually flip the pages in order to return to the beginning or to get to any point in the manga. Is there a way around it, or is it just something people have to live with?
alphataru is offline   Reply With Quote