Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #46
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Sticking to the notion that a "book" more-or-less correlates with the traditional definition of "bookness" -- ie. not blog excerpts, RSS feeds, long magazine articles ported to an e-reader -- I tend to read one at a time. With two e-readers, I sometimes have two books on the go; I even tried reading the same book on both readers, switching every chapter or two just to see how the reading experience differed, if any.

But, mainly, I'm a loyal one-book-at-a-time reader. However, if I start to get bored with a title, I may well start something else; when that happens, there's only a 50% chance I'll ever return to the first one.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #47
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
I prefer to read one book at a time. But sometimes I was reading one long and more difficult book (I'm still polishing my English) that makes me feel the need to read a "lighter book".

Last time I did this is when I read The Count of Monte Cristo and it gets slow in the middle of the book and then I'm picking up Sarah Silverman book (She is one sick, disguisting but nevertheless funny woman btw).
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #48
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Aside from my Bible, and a devotional by Spurgeon, I have:
The Thirty-Nine Steps
Three Men in a Boat
The Art of Public Speaking
Folks
From Dixie
Project Management for Dummies (Is that redundant?)
Dracula
The Complete Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar
The Age of Fable (Bulfinch)
I've been known to take breaks for work, sustenance, sleep & occasional personal interactions.

As addictive habits go, reading, while slightly less socially acceptable than meth-amphetamine use, has been making gains over tobacco use in recent years.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 06-20-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: You don't think I'm obsessed, do you?
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #49
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
Try to keep 4 books going at a time:
History
Biography
Fiction
Religion/Philosophical

In addition to this I read many RSS feeds on a daily basis (not on my kindle) and my Daily Bible reading (delivered to Kindle via Calibre RSS)

Last edited by jasonfedelem; 06-21-2010 at 07:46 PM.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #50
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I'm a multiple book reader -- that's why an e-book reader is so perfect for me. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one genre, and sometimes for another, so it's nice to be able to think, "hmm, I'm not in the mood for this one right now. I think I'll read something else for a while."

Right now I've got the following books in progress:

The Stand, by Stephen King
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver
Anathem, by Neal Stephenson
Precious Bane, by Mary Webb
The Fox, by Arlene Radasky
The Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett
The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

And wow, after looking at that, can you say ADD? :-)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #51
HithNibth
Connoisseur
HithNibth has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung NC10 and Palm TX
[QUOTE=delphidb96;936076]One book in two days??? Oh, to be *that* laid back and slow again! My personal best is 3 inside one 24-hour period, but I *usually* slack off and only read one per day!

I like to make 'em last. Sloooow and eeeeasy, chewing all the words well. I do sometimes have several books on the go at once.

Bri
HithNibth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #52
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My reading style has changed with my getting my jetBook Lite.

All of my life I have been a one-book-at-a-time guy, but ever since I got my device I have had two, three or four going at the same time.

Also, I am now frequently reading only one chapter of a book (or one essay of an anthology) at a time.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #53
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HithNibth View Post

I like to make 'em last. Sloooow and eeeeasy, chewing all the words well. I do sometimes have several books on the go at once.

Bri
I just furnished Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow in 2 days. It was pretty much a non stop book, and was read while reading an old 1930s pulp SciFi.

No problem with a 2,000 year difference in story lines.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I do on occasion. I keep a few small books in my purse (yeah, it's a big purse) in case I find myself bookless somewhere with unexpected time on my hands. Occasionally, if I'm heading out the door and the current book I'm reading is almost done, I'll just grab the next one from the unread shelf instead of risking being bookless after finishing the current book (especially if I'm feeling too lazy to just grab both books). Sometimes, I'll interrupt a book if I get another book I've been waiting for. Usually, though, I have just one book going at a time.
Since I posted this, my reading habits have changed. I now have two books going at any given time. I have one I read on my TV screen (it's patched into my computer) and another on my JBL in my purse (I've also switched to a much smaller purse; I'm too old and butch to be lugging the other one around). I read on the TV when at home and in the JBL when away from the house.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 08-21-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #55
David71
Enthusiast
David71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I usually read anywhere from two to four at a time. That seems perfectly natural to me, although I don't personally know anyone else who does this. Nice to find out I'm not alone.
David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #56
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I used to have paperbacks stashed for handy reading, all over the place
Now, I have my PEz, I am limeted to 8 books at a time because the recent Buggin's FW only has 1 page (the Astak FW, has 4 pages (32 books) of "Recent" .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've cut down to four at a time.
Kindle makes it so easy to switch between books that the temptation to read several at a time is overwhelming.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #58
dcptcons4evr
Avid Reader
dcptcons4evr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
I can start three to four books at a time but will sometimes set some down for awhile and go a few months before I pick it up again and finish
dcptcons4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #59
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I usually read one novel at a time, but I might read one or more non-fiction books as well, especially when I'm researching for a story.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
When I read pbooks (pre-April 2010) I had at least 3 going at one time. One for the bus, one on the balcony, and one or more in bed at night.
Mostly from the library. When I found a book heavy going I just did not finish it.

With an ebook reader I have more choice but strangely enough I finish more books.
If I am at a point I want to stop reading a book I leave it on the reader and go back to it eventually.

Often I stop reading a book because it does not suit my mood at the time or it has become a bit stressful (thrillers/suspense) or a non fiction book where I have reached my level of absorbing information. So I 'shelve it' and read something lighter for a bit.

It is such a big advantage that the ereader remembers the page you were at although I often page back a bit so I remember the thread of the story.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote