Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
John Ringo SciFi e-books for download

Some of John Ringo's books can be found for free download at the publisher's website. The stories are a tiny bit reminescent of Starship Troopers, but only in the vaguest of senses. They're military in nature, and a very good read.

My best method found for those books from Baen is to download in HTML format, and then use iSiloX to convert them over to iSilo format. The default iSilo3x format on Baens' site isn't ... the best. Of course you could also use any other e-book reader that supports HTML files.
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
johnbartley
Droid Fan
johnbartley began at the beginning.

Device: Android - Samsung Intercept (Eclair)
Ain't no iSilo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekweb
Some of John Ringo's books can be found for free download at the publisher's website. The stories are a tiny bit reminescent of Starship Troopers, but only in the vaguest of senses. They're military in nature, and a very good read.

My best method found for those books from Baen is to download in HTML format, and then use iSiloX to convert them over to iSilo format. The default iSilo3x format on Baens' site isn't
{snip}

Ahem. It isn't iSilo format at all. Those PRC files were designed for MobiPocket.
]
johnbartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think DerekWeb got it right... You have options to choose from in the drop down list of formats when you download. One option is HTML (excellent for using iSiloX to convert to iSilo format). Another is rtf (which I picked because it's good for converting to eReader/PalmDoc format). The one you may have been looking at is the cross platform, which does indeed seem to be MobiPocket.

But all the discussion got me interested. It's on my "might read if it looks interesting when I'm picking a book later" list.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:20 AM   #4
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbartley
{snip}

Ahem. It isn't iSilo format at all. Those PRC files were designed for MobiPocket.
]

Ah! That would probably explain why I kept seeing all of that daggum html code crap in the novel as I was trying to read it. Oh well.

Don't know why on earth I thought it was iSilo3 format. /shrug/ I'll take another look again later and see if I can't figure out why I thought that.

As for the books themselves. I *think* that John Ringo might have actually released a third in that series too. But the first two were just spectacular! My wife doesn't like Sci Fi overly much, though she'll read it from time to time. She did like the entire Honor Harrington universe (another great series, though they're already up to or over the count of 10 in that set. And they just keep truckin' too!) So I'm hoping that she'll give this series a try if I buy the books for her. I'll keep the eBooks handy, as she has iSilo loaded on her Zodiac (whilest mine is for the hx2755). They should be compatible. But the big thing is that when she gets called to Active Duty for deployment, she'll be able to take a bunch of her beloved books with her without taking up a lot of precious room. She's got enough crap to take with her without having to worry about her library. And yes, her books are stacked two rows deep, two rows high per shelf and it's a meter wide approx, and about 2 meters tall. It's like that on EV"ERY shelf. And she still has 5 more boxes not yet unloaded. I've banned her from the book store (temporarily.... just until I can buy two more bookshelves for her stuff!). /grin/
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote