Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
japolin
japolin began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Scanning Hardware Question

Hello all,

I am trying to find the best scanner for a certain set of requirements. Most notably, I need a scanner that can effectively scan books yet is portable. I intend to use it to scan books I need for my research at the Library of Congress and can't find anywhere else.

I have read the reviews of the Plustek Opticbook 3600 and seem impressed with it, but I'm not sure if it meets all of the following requirements (and such a scanner might not be available). I am also considering such scanners as the Canon Lide 600F and the Visioneer OneTouch 7400 which seem to be less ideal for books.

1) Portable, or at least quasi-portable. I'd like to be able to fit it into some sort of briefcase. It could be a large one, I'm not averse to that.

2) Not excessively loud. I would hope that the scanner in question would not bother other researchers at the Library of Congress.

3) Good speed. I would hope to be able to scan a 200-300 page book in 2-3 hours.

4) Ability to scan to PDF.

5) Auto-rotation software like that present in the Opticbook 3600.

6) Compatibility with a Mac. This is not a must, as I do have PC emulation on my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help!
japolin is offline   Reply With Quote