Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Some regrets..

Years ago I bought my wife a nook for Valentine's day. This was the original nook with the LCD on the bottom and I shelled out $259 for the thing. Yikes! I did this for 2 reasons:

1. Time crunch did now allow me to order a Kindle and get it in time
2. Unlike the Kindle, I could walk into Barnes and Noble and actually use the thing.

My wife loves the hell out of her nook. So much so, that she wanted to get me one for my birthday the following year. At the time, the Kindle 3/Keyboard had just come out and it had the faster eInk pearl display. I knew what she was up to, so I hinted around about a Kindle.

And it showed up first week in September.

I love the Kindle. I like it better than the nook. Not that the nook is a bad device. It's a great eReader. But there are definitely things B&N does which annoys me about it. Like how they segregate purchased content from side-loaded content. And it took B&N a while to get Shelves, so your books were not a long list, but were grouped.

My wife's nook broke at one point and I let her use the Kindle while the kids and I plotted to get her a Kindle instead. I liked the idea of doing all purchases from one account.

After a few days she told me she liked the nook better, but fully admitted that the only reason she liked it better is because she used it first and was familiar with it. So, we broke down and got her a Nook STR.

Fast forward about a year, and the Kindle 3 screen cracks and I decide to buy a Paperwhite. I, of course, let my wife use it for a week, and she still insisted that she was used to the nook and preferred to use it. So, Mother's Day comes around and we proceed to get her a nook glowlight, which she loves.

So, I've doing a lot of work with Calibre and Aprentice Alf's plugin, decrypting books and converting AZW3 to ePUB and vice versa.

Looking back on the start of all this, I wish I had just ordered the Kindle 2 for my wife. That way we'd be on the same platform.

Does anyone else have 2 different brands of eReader in the family?
apastuszak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Personally I have a Nook ST Glowlight, a Kobo Aura and a Kindle Paperwhite. I buy books from all over the place. Hubby only has the Paperwhite, he sticks with Amazon. I manage everything with Calibre.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Well, yes, my son reads on a Kobo, my daughter reads on a Nook HD. I myself read on a Kobo, a PW1, a Sony, or a Nook ST, depending on my mood.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

In the family? I've got 4 different brands for me.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My wife and I usually read eBooks on our two Kindles (PW 2013 and Fire HDX 2013). but I also read eBooks on my Samsung Galaxy s5 when away from my house.

I buy all the eBooks from Amazon.

Last edited by sirmaru; 08-16-2014 at 10:04 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Like others here, I have multiple e-readers just for me--read the most on my Kindle PW2, but still use my Sony 350 and 650s on occasion. Also read on my iPad mostly ePubs with the Marvin app, but sometimes use the Kindle App. I also have an original nook that I get out sometimes just because. It's got a great screen, but it always surprises me with how heavy and big it is compared to my other readers. :-) I do use calibre and convert all my books to both ePub and AZW3 so that I can read on which ever device suits me at the moment.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm the other way round. My only e-readers are Kindles and I buy books from different sellers and then have to convert some of them to Kindle format. Where I buy depends on if a given book is available at one seller or another and of course which is priced cheaper. Plus it's easier to create backups of non-Amazon purchased ebooks.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Personally I have Nooks, Kobos, and Kindles, iPads, and Galaxy tablets. Several models of each. Hubby uses a Kobo Glo and a Kindle PW. Daughter uses Nook and Kobo and Kindle. One shelf of the bookshelves in the living room is devoted to ereaders and tablets.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just Kindles for my family.

But if we were to get another brand of device, it would not be a Nook!
Lousy reputation.

It would probably be a Kobo. Sony is obviously no longer an option.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
My wife has always had a Kindle. I bought her a Gen 2 kindle and have replaced it with a PW V2 only recently after our son cracked the case while a particularly rowdy session of reading Harry Potter (don't ask). I played around with each of the nook models during this time but now I am also reading on the PW, with an occasional jaunt into iBooks for some of the MobileRead EPUB's. I use Calibre though to normalize everything I buy in case something better comes along. For now, we both love our PW's.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
I've got a PW1, Nook 4th gen & a Nook 2nd gen. The Nook 2nd gen is still my favorite since it's rootable, has an sd card, and has a great if unlit screen. A booklight works just fine.

I won't consider a new ereader unless it has an sd card or some big advantages. I don't think the new Kindle will deliver but I'm waiting for it to launch before I get an Illumina.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
For a long time my wife and I used different ereading platforms. I used Kobo and she used Sony.

Two things mitigated our frustrations: 1. My wife really spent more time borrowing books rather than purchasing them, so she was not super tied into the Sony ecosystem. and 2. An awful lot of the books that we purchased were either DRM free from Fictionwise (now defunct) or able to be synced to either device using Adobe's horrendous Digital Editions software.

Nowadays, I use Kindle exclusively and my wife just hooks in to my account when she wants to buy a book or read a book. She mostly reads on my old Nexus 7 (which recently died) or her smartphone. She still prefers paper, either way though.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Years ago I bought my wife a nook for Valentine's day. This was the original nook with the LCD on the bottom and I shelled out $259 for the thing. Yikes! I did this for 2 reasons:

1. Time crunch did now allow me to order a Kindle and get it in time
2. Unlike the Kindle, I could walk into Barnes and Noble and actually use the thing.

My wife loves the hell out of her nook. So much so, that she wanted to get me one for my birthday the following year. At the time, the Kindle 3/Keyboard had just come out and it had the faster eInk pearl display. I knew what she was up to, so I hinted around about a Kindle.

And it showed up first week in September.

I love the Kindle. I like it better than the nook. Not that the nook is a bad device. It's a great eReader. But there are definitely things B&N does which annoys me about it. Like how they segregate purchased content from side-loaded content. And it took B&N a while to get Shelves, so your books were not a long list, but were grouped.

My wife's nook broke at one point and I let her use the Kindle while the kids and I plotted to get her a Kindle instead. I liked the idea of doing all purchases from one account.

After a few days she told me she liked the nook better, but fully admitted that the only reason she liked it better is because she used it first and was familiar with it. So, we broke down and got her a Nook STR.

Fast forward about a year, and the Kindle 3 screen cracks and I decide to buy a Paperwhite. I, of course, let my wife use it for a week, and she still insisted that she was used to the nook and preferred to use it. So, Mother's Day comes around and we proceed to get her a nook glowlight, which she loves.

So, I've doing a lot of work with Calibre and Aprentice Alfo's plugin, decrypting books and converting AZW3 to ePUB and vice versa.

Looking back on the start of all this, I wish I had just ordered the Kindle 2 for my wife. That way we'd be on the same platform.

My parents bought two Simple Touch Nooks and I have a paper white. My parents have been complaining that the Nook is no longer being developed, they have considered Kindles, however I think that they are relying on printed books much to my dismay.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
So, I've doing a lot of work with Calibre and Aprentice Alf's plugin, decrypting books and converting AZW3 to ePUB and vice versa.

In reverse order... :P

Not two different brands in the family, but multiple devices for me. In active use I have a Sony PRS-T3s and Amazon Kindle PW2. I also have a Sony PRS-505 (for any remaining LRF files I have) and a BlackBerry Playbook (running Kobo app and an ePub reader app). I also have Aldiko installed on a Nexus 4 and BlackBerry Z10 phones for when I'm trapped in a long line up.

I've been reading almost exlusively on electronic devices since the first USR Palm Pilot so to me, my library and book collection is much more important than any particular reading device or ebook store.

There doesn't seem to be any benefit to me in sticking with a single ecosystem. The best argument I have heard for it is syncing your last-read point across multiple devices, but I never used a bookmark with paper books, so I have no problem flipping back and forth a bit to find my place in ebooks when I've switched from ereader to phone and vice versa.

I don't understand why you want your wife to be on the same platform as you are if she is happy with the way that Nook works. It sounds like a bit of "I know best".

If it is only that you want to have shared libraries, well, your liberation and conversion tools can help you out with that. Or are you saying you find that to be too much work?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #15
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We sort of have the same problem here, but with cellphones. My wife has an iPhone 4 and I've got a Galaxy S4.

It is what it is. It sucks for sharing music, but I deal with having things in iTunes and grabbing what I want without an automtic sync.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote