Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Tapatun
Tapatun can extract oil from cheeseTapatun can extract oil from cheeseTapatun can extract oil from cheeseTapatun can extract oil from cheeseTapatun can extract oil from cheeseTapatun can extract oil from cheeseTapatun can extract oil from cheeseTapatun can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Smile

This is a fantastic app - helped me export unknown words to my Anki deck, worked flawlessly with Voyage, thanks a lot!
However, I want to make a couple of feature-requests which might be useful for other users, too.
I've done it by myself using regular expressions in Sublime Text editor, but if you allowed the "Title(Author)" field to be tab-separated and trimmed, it would be convenient to assign this field to the tag property of a card in Anki, to further filter cards by book.
Also it's strange that the program doesn't allow to deselect "Word" field from export. This is inconvenient, because I'd like to export infinitive forms from "Stem" field. Yeah, I can get the needed stem form out of "books(book)", but it would be a nice adding.
My excuses for any grammatical mistakes. Good luck!

Last edited by Tapatun; 08-25-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Tapatun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatun View Post
This is a fantastic app - helped me export unknown words to my Anki deck, worked flawlessly with Voyage, thanks a lot!
However, I want to make a couple of feature-requests which might be useful for other users, too.
I've done it by myself using regular expressions in Sublime Text editor, but if you allowed the "Title(Author)" field to be tab-separated and trimmed, it would be convenient to assign this field to the tag property of a card in Anki, to further filter cards by book.
Also it's strange that the program doesn't allow to deselect "Word" field from export. This is inconvenient, because I'd like to export infinitive forms from "Stem" field. Yeah, I can get the needed stem form out of "books(book)", but it would be a nice adding.
Perfect. Another Anki user. Much love.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 02:28 AM   #18
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Nice! (also waiting for the Mac version)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #19
HarveyCN
Kindle Mate developer
HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatun View Post
Thanks for your feedback. New update of Kindle Mate will be released soon and I will make some changes per your suggestions.
HarveyCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #20
mendesitba
Connoisseur
mendesitba began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, Ipad 2, Note 5
I would like to ask if there is some chance that the software will be able in the future to download the definitions that are attached to the word in the Kindle Device's vocabulary builder.

Btw, congratulations on the software, I'm currently using it for both the vocabulary and the clipping, it is very good!

Edit: lol I just noticed that the definitions are not stored at the vocabulary file. That is sad

Last edited by mendesitba; 12-10-2015 at 08:48 PM.
mendesitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #21
HarveyCN
Kindle Mate developer
HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.HarveyCN knows who John Galt is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesitba View Post
I would like to ask if there is some chance that the software will be able in the future to download the definitions that are attached to the word in the Kindle Device's vocabulary builder.

Btw, congratulations on the software, I'm currently using it for both the vocabulary and the clipping, it is very good!

Edit: lol I just noticed that the definitions are not stored at the vocabulary file. That is sad
Thanks for your feedback. And it's true that no definition data was stored in the file vocab.db. We did try retrieving the definitions from the built-in dictionaries that you use for looking up words from, but it's not easy and by default those dictionaries are drm protected. That's why we are using online and open dictionaries instead.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #22
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyCN View Post
We did try retrieving the definitions from the built-in dictionaries that you use for looking up words from, but it's not easy and by default those dictionaries are drm protected. That's why we are using online and open dictionaries instead.
A partial solution could be that a user can specify the dictionary file in MOBI format.

There are a couple of drm-free dictionaries and some users may want to "use the tools" on dictionaries they received with their Kindle.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #23
Byjuak
Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Nevermind

Last edited by Byjuak; 12-11-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Byjuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #24
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
@HarveyCN,

Thank you for developing the Kindle Mate utility. Even at the first try, it worked well with my Paperwhite 3. My Vocabulary Builder had way too many items, with many similar or doubled words that I had to wade through every time I accessed it. Kindle Mate allowed me to sort on the Word column and then quickly check off words to be deleted.

I got rid of 300 words and exported back in to Kindle. Deleting that many words with the clumsy Kindle interface would have been hours of torture!

I noticed that Kindle Mate sorted capital letters in an unexpected manner. Case insensitive sorting is probably best in English.

Thanks again for your work!
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #25
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: none
@Harvey CN,

Thank you for developing this fantastic application! Very nice, especially for those of us who use the Vocabulary Builder.

And here comes the feature request (or even two ):

It would be great to filter (optionally) words by language (e.g. see only words in language A that are in the learning phase). In the best-case scenario this would work automatically (e.g. by reading the language metadata of an e-book if it's still stored on Kindle) but I have no idea if that's possible. A manual solution would be great, too: the user would simply (as an option) set the language for each book from which words have been imported.

This would be very convenient for those who read books in several languages. I read in four foreign languages and right now if want to sort all words by frequency, I get a total language mix (not very practical if you want to focus on one language, add words to Anki etc.).

My other feature request would be to introduce a category/status of words that would be stored in the Kindle Mate database but removed from Kindle (unless the status is changed back to learning/mastered - then they would be synced back to the device). This would be very handy if you want to deal with some words later on but don't want to clutter up your Kindle Vocabulary Builder for the time being.

Alternatively, is there any possibility to add words from Kindle do KindleMate, export some of them to a separate file, remove them from KindleMate (and sync back to Kindle) - and then after some time import those words back to KindleMate and Kindle?
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #26
HarveyCN
Kindle Mate developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
@HarveyCN,

Thank you for developing the Kindle Mate utility. Even at the first try, it worked well with my Paperwhite 3. My Vocabulary Builder had way too many items, with many similar or doubled words that I had to wade through every time I accessed it. Kindle Mate allowed me to sort on the Word column and then quickly check off words to be deleted.

I got rid of 300 words and exported back in to Kindle. Deleting that many words with the clumsy Kindle interface would have been hours of torture!

I noticed that Kindle Mate sorted capital letters in an unexpected manner. Case insensitive sorting is probably best in English.

Thanks again for your work!
Thank you for your input. The insensitive sorting will be adopted in the new release. You just made a good point.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #27
HarveyCN
Kindle Mate developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
@Harvey CN,

Thank you for developing this fantastic application! Very nice, especially for those of us who use the Vocabulary Builder.

It would be great to filter (optionally) words by language (e.g. see only words in language A that are in the learning phase). In the best-case scenario this would work automatically (e.g. by reading the language metadata of an e-book if it's still stored on Kindle) but I have no idea if that's possible. A manual solution would be great, too: the user would simply (as an option) set the language for each book from which words have been imported.

This would be very convenient for those who read books in several languages. I read in four foreign languages and right now if want to sort all words by frequency, I get a total language mix (not very practical if you want to focus on one language, add words to Anki etc.).

My other feature request would be to introduce a category/status of words that would be stored in the Kindle Mate database but removed from Kindle (unless the status is changed back to learning/mastered - then they would be synced back to the device). This would be very handy if you want to deal with some words later on but don't want to clutter up your Kindle Vocabulary Builder for the time being.

Alternatively, is there any possibility to add words from Kindle do KindleMate, export some of them to a separate file, remove them from KindleMate (and sync back to Kindle) - and then after some time import those words back to KindleMate and Kindle?
It's reasonable feature requests and that's not too much.
For your first one, the current workaround would be that you could use Color Category to manually label your different language items and access them using Search. Please refer to the attached screenshot. Of course, I already have the plan to improve the label/category system.
The second one, you are able to export any words to a separate file, remove them from Km and sync back to Kindle, which is the exact design purpose for this. However Kindle Mate lacks the ability to 'import/restore' some words(like clippings imported from raw format exported by Kindle Mate). I'd like to look into that and (most likely) add it to the next release.
Wish the reply could work for you. Thanks and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	???? 2015-12-26 ??7.51.45.png
Views:	362
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	144904  
Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #28
HarveyCN
Kindle Mate developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
@Harvey CN,

Thanks for your feedback earlier, hope this message find you well.
Kindly let you know that we are introducing a new big feature Category Folder in the new release 1.35(coming soon), which allows you to categorize your clipping books/authors and vocabulary builder books by folder. And then you are able to browse (eg. sorting by frequency of words), export by your customized folders. Per your situation, you can add(or simply drag n drop) your books in different languages to some folders saying Spanish Books or something else, so that you can get the folder view only for those books. I also attached a screenshot for this.
Please feel free to let me know your idea. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folder view.png
Views:	329
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	145825  
Old 01-31-2016, 05:56 AM   #29
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Looks like a great app! I sincerely hope that this will one day show up on the Mac!

Also, a question concerning highlights: does this app support the parsing and pulling of highlights that were not made on the Kindle (because they were made on another Kindle device or on a computer etc) and are therefore not in the myclippings.txt?

Last edited by johnnyb; 01-31-2016 at 10:53 AM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #30
HarveyCN
Kindle Mate developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Looks like a great app! I sincerely hope that this will one day show up on the Mac!

Also, a question concerning highlights: does this app support the parsing and pulling of highlights that were not made on the Kindle (because they were made on another Kindle device or on a computer etc) and are therefore not in the myclippings.txt?
Yes, it will show up on the Mac some day, hopefully soon.
I tried supporting the clipping data of Kindle for PC/Mac, however it's encrypted and not readable. If you want to Kindle Mate to import such data, you have to manually clip or highlight one by one and one more time on the Kindle after synced from those apps by amazon.