Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #121
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
When do they usually register the device to your account? Right before it ships or days before?
Generally right before it ships, maybe a day or so before at the earliest, if I remember correctly. Therefore, it's the norm not to have a serial number at this point.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #122
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
With the previous Kindles you typically got the number (in the My Kindle Page) a couple of days before it got shipped.
My point is, though, that they can't allocate you a serial number until they know which specific Kindle they're going to send you. Given that US PW2's are due for delivery from Tuesday next week, it's reasonable to expect that serial numbers will start showing up now or soon, but I wouldn't expect to see mine yet, because the UK delivery date's not until 9th Oct.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #123
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Only 5 more days
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #124
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My point is, though, that they can't allocate you a serial number until they know which specific Kindle they're going to send you. Given that US PW2's are due for delivery from Tuesday next week, it's reasonable to expect that serial numbers will start showing up now or soon, but I wouldn't expect to see mine yet, because the UK delivery date's not until 9th Oct.
Of course.

But it still usually happens before it gets shipped. The PWs I ordered had their SNs in my account info before their shipping status changed from the initial "Not yet shipped".

Is is reasonable to expect the SN more than a week before the estimated delivery date? No.
Is it reasonable to expect the SN before the order status changes? Yes.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #125
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Only 5 more days
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #126
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Sadly, no S/N yet, but did you guys notice that Amazon changed the way they display "manage my devices"?
Not sure I like the change, even though my device list got a bit out of hand over the years.

Now how about adding a folder structure to the content area of Manage my Kindle?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #127
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Sadly, no S/N yet, but did you guys notice that Amazon changed the way they display "manage my devices"?
Not sure I like the change, even though my device list got a bit out of hand over the years.

Now how about adding a folder structure to the content area of Manage my Kindle?
Oh that's an awesome idea, I'd love if they did that! I did notice they changed the display too.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #128
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Or tags, genres, or any other cataloguing functionality.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #129
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Yes, yes, and yes!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #130
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The Manage Your Kindle site has changed their format AND has not shown my PW 2013 serial number yet or even shown my KFHDX 7 32 Gb 2013 at all.

That's a slow down from last year.

Plus, I don't see anywhere near the interest in this Forum this year as compared to last year for both models.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #131
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Plus, I don't see anywhere near the interest in this Forum this year as compared to last year for both models.
These are evolutionary, rather than revolutionary products. The PW was a revolutionary product last year.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #132
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
If you need a folder structure for "Manage my Kindle", then... uh... you may need to see a doctor about a possible Kindle Acquisition Syndrome

Quote:
Have you ever thought about generating a catalog for all "On Device" books, using Calibre?

You can browse by author, series, titles, genres/tags, and when you find a book, read the description and such. You can actually embed a custom column into the description. I add a custom column "Class" to the description. That column contains stuff like:

A: 1-100 (Short Story)
B: 101-200 (Novella)

This gives me an indication of the length while browsing in the catalog.

After I find a book I just punch the author's last name and a keyword of the title into the Kindle's search, and presto.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-26-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #133
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If you need a folder structure for "Manage my Kindle", then... uh... you may need to see a doctor about a possible Kindle Acquisition Syndrome
Funny. I said the content area - as I was too lazy to log in and look up the actual name, if it has one.

Quote:
Have you ever thought about generating a catalog for all "On Device" books, using Calibre?

You can browse by author, series, titles, genres/tags, and when you find a book, read the description and such. You can actually embed a custom column into the description. I add a custom column "Class" to the description. That column contains stuff like:

A: 1-100 (Short Story)
B: 101-200 (Novella)

This gives me an indication of the length while browsing in the catalog.

After I find a book I just punch the author's last name and a keyword of the title into the Kindle's search, and presto.
I am slowly starting to backup my books in Calibre, but would still like to have them organized on the site. It does not make any sense that I can't filter my purchases at least by genre. Plus, I don't surf from my PC, and can't put Calibre on my iPad or phone.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #134
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Funny. I said the content area - as I was too lazy to log in and look up the actual name, if it has one.
Oh, in the content area; yeah, you're right there. For someone who buys more than one book a month, it's completely useless.

Quote:
I am slowly starting to backup my books in Calibre, but would still like to have them organized on the site. It does not make any sense that I can't filter my purchases at least by genre. Plus, I don't surf from my PC, and can't put Calibre on my iPad or phone.
After you get your books into Calibre, you can generate the catalog as an EPUB/AZW3 book, and read it right from your Kindle with (almost) all the browsing capabilities you'd want
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #135
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
After you get your books into Calibre, you can generate the catalog as an EPUB/AZW3 book, and read it right from your Kindle with (almost) all the browsing capabilities you'd want
Oooh, I see. Do you know if there are any step by step instructions anywhere?