Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Another new member!

Hi everyone!

I have finally decided to delurk and joined MobileRead! Since no-one I know gets much excited about books, and certainly not ebooks and ereaders, I'm looking forward to indulge in book talk here!
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
eReaderPerks
Groupie
eReaderPerks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle kobo and nook
Welcome!

Lorie
eReaderPerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Welcome

How would you compare the Odyssey HD and the Glo? Do you use them the same way?
I'll stop here with my questions, but it's reaaly tempting. It's so unusual to see someone using both
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
How would you compare the Odyssey HD and the Glo? Do you use them the same way?
I'll stop here with my questions, but it's reaaly tempting. It's so unusual to see someone using both
No problem, I'm more than happy to compare them for you! The Odyssey has only been in my possession since yesterday, though, so I'm not sure yet if I'm going to be using it in another way than the Glo. Still have to work out a system!

I really like both and each one has some advantages and disadvantages over the other but overall I think I do prefer the Odyssey. I was not planning on getting another illuminated e-reader since I have just gotten the Glo about two weeks ago. I think I'm all set with readers now! But I played with it in a store and just fell in love with it.

The two main reasons why I got the Odyssey where the existence of page-turning buttons (and a physical home button) plus the option for reading in night mode. It would be even better if it had four buttons to turn pages like the Kindle does, so you can go back and forth no matter which hand you're holding it with but it's only a minor quibble. I love the night mode (white text on black background) because when I'm reading in the dark in bed the Glo seemed sometimes to bright even on the lowest setting. In almost complete dark it is much easier on the eyes in night mode. The ghosting is more noticeable this way though but it's okay.

The light seems very white and does not have the bluish tint of the Glo. I was disappointed that the touch screen of the Glo does not work in a zip-lock bag in the bathtub, the Odyssey however does. And I really like the folder structure with the ability to even create subfolders. This seems to be only possible via the computer though and unfortunately there is no search function. This could be a problem when there are many books on the reader.

The Glo seems to have a more responsive touch screen. When I tip on the screen to go to the next page the Odyssey is very quick but wiping gestures often have to be repeated several times to work. I also really like that the Kobo allows me to adjust the line spacing and the weight of a font (the Odyssey only has the option of emboldening the text).

That's all I can think of for now. Don't hesitate to ask more questions!

Edit: I deleted one of my sentences above. BOTH have a webbrowser, before it sounded as if only the Cybook does. Also, a point of critique with both readers is that I wished the brightness could be adjusted even lower. For reading in almost complete darkness they are a bit too bright for my taste but the Cybook luckily has the awesome night mode. Overall, I'm very happy with both of them but still like the Cybook a bit more.

Last edited by Illyria; 02-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Illyria and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Illyria and have a nice weekend (with hopefully a lot of time to read)
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Illyria and welcome. Good to see you here.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
samhy
Wizard

By the way, Illyria, remember your explanation of your likes and dislikes of the Kobo Glo and the Odyssey HD?
I shared it somewhere on this forum with someone who was asking exactly the same question.
So once again, thank you for taking the time to write that down. I'm sure more and more people will be wondering which one to buy

Edit: I found the topic.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Illyria
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
By the way, Illyria, remember your explanation of your likes and dislikes of the Kobo Glo and the Odyssey HD?
I shared it somewhere on this forum with someone who was asking exactly the same question.
So once again, thank you for taking the time to write that down. I'm sure more and more people will be wondering which one to buy

Edit: I found the topic.
Good idea! Now after spending some more time with both devices, I had to go back and edit a couple of details.