Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Replacement USB Cable for 505?

Is there anything special about the USB cable that comes with the 505 or any special type I should look for?

My cable was stolen along with my 2 week old MacBook Pro (& 2 somewhat new Windows laptops) today so I need to find a replacement.

Thanks
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Nothing special that I've noticed. I've got several mini-usb cables and just grab the nearest to hand.

The theft sounds upsetting. I hope that you're ok (and insured).
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I think the original USB from Sony is still in the box somewhere as I've used another one that was already attached to a port in the back of the machine and threaded forward. Worked like a charm for the last however many months.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
So sorry to hear about your recent theft!

It's a standard 5-pin mini usb cable. If you do a little googling, you can find versions that also have a plug that works to charge the device from USB, intended for the PSP. Here's the one I found on Amazon, works like a dream and only cost $2.50:
http://www.amazon.com/Insten-2-1-Dow...dp/B000F1TNCA/

Handy to have the power plug to charge your reader from a usb wall plug, or charge from the computer without going into data transfer mode.

Good luck getting things back to normal.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Now THAT'S a handy cable! Best of both worlds. I have a wall wort charger which you can use to charge USB devices with a cable, but it doesn't charge my Reader with a standard-to-mini USB cable. That cable allows use of the PSP charging port on the Reader from a USB connection, bypassing the transfer mode issues. I want one.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I just grab whatever I have lying around but I at least try to grab one from a USB 2.0 device.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks everyone. I grabbed a cable from an old USB 2.0 Hub I had laying around. Appears to work perfectly.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks everyone. I grabbed a cable from an old USB 2.0 Hub I had laying around. Appears to work perfectly.
Most, but not all USB A to USB Mini B cables will work. Some don't have all the pins connected.

My ideal is a split cable, with USB A on one end, and both USB Mini B and PSP on the other end. Unfortunately, I can only find 4-6 feet cables, and I only need 6 inches.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
What about some of the wallwart AC to USB power chargers that are used for newer cell phones? (Like the Motorola Q)

I'm assuming(!) that those could also be used to charge the PRS unit? (I haven't tried yet...)
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgharold View Post
What about some of the wallwart AC to USB power chargers that are used for newer cell phones? (Like the Motorola Q)

I'm assuming(!) that those could also be used to charge the PRS unit? (I haven't tried yet...)
5% will work through the USB Mini B connector as well as the PSP connector; the other 95% will work only through the PSP connector.

It's a mystery as to why the USB Mini B connector refuses to charge on most non-PC USB power supplies, but will occasionally find one that it likes. It also refuses to charge on a few PC USB ports.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
It's a mystery as to why the USB Mini B connector refuses to charge on most non-PC USB power supplies, but will occasionally find one that it likes. It also refuses to charge on a few PC USB ports.
That sounds like either the PRS unit is too picky about voltages on the USB cable, or (more likely) the USB port / wart doesn't put out enough amperage.

I see this all the time with little USB 2.5" external drives. Some USB ports work, some don't. Depending on whether the hard drive inside the USB enclosure is close to the amperage limit for the USB spec.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote