Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
WombatSnoozes
WombatSnoozes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Touch: Vanishing book

Has anyone else had this problem - or any idea why/how to fix?

I was halfway through reading 'Altered Books' (loaded through Adobe). Hit the button to bookmark the page and went away to do something for 15 minutes. Came back, and the book is no longer in the Touch library.

Any ideas? I mean, I can reload it from the home PC when I get to it in a few hours (assuming power is on), but that is not the point. It may just be it doesn't like temperatures over 35C (I know I don't), but I'm using it as a 'keep my sanity' tool through summer. I'd just like to know why, and if there's something I can do to fix it, or if I should expect more mysterious dissappearances . . .
WombatSnoozes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't lost a book like that. I have accidentally marked a book as finished so that it disappeared from the Home page. But, I was able to find it in the library list.

I have had books disappear when opening them. But, in each case it was because of a problem with the book. Or an inconsistency between the book and the internal database. The latter has occurred when I have modified an epub and replaced it on the device. Depending on the changes made, this can cause problems. In most cases, it means the TOC won't work. But, occasionally, it has caused the device to reboot and the book can get removed when that happens. In any case, when it happened, it was obvious that something went wrong.

As to temperature, I haven't used either my Touch or Glo at over 35ºC, but I am expecting to tomorrow. But maybe I'll just spend the day at Maccas.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
WombatSnoozes
WombatSnoozes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Unfortunately neither they, the local shopping center, or the library won't let the dog inside, or I'd be heading that way myself.

Cooler next couple of days, but expecting 40 next week.

I might just have to go retro and snag a couple of books off the shelf if the kobo starts cooking!
WombatSnoozes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I haven't had a book disappear from my Glo, but I only sideload via Calibre, and don't use Kepub on my device at all; nor ADE loaded either.

But - I read my Glo the other evening when it was 41C in my lounge room (un-airconditioned house) in Sydney. It was the only light on in the house - that is, every light in the house was off, other family were sitting outdoors, and I was inside using the Glo to read.

And, wonderfully, the Glo didn't seem to get hot!!!

I took it out of it's jacket, to allow for any air circulation (and there basically wasn't any for most of the time), and I leaned it partly on a cushion in a tilting fashion, which sat in front and to the side of me so that I didn't strain to read it or touch it for page turns.

Good luck, and please report and let us know how it went.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatSnoozes View Post
Unfortunately neither they, the local shopping center, or the library won't let the dog inside, or I'd be heading that way myself.
Carry a long white stick?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatSnoozes View Post

Cooler next couple of days, but expecting 40 next week.

I might just have to go retro and snag a couple of books off the shelf if the kobo starts cooking!
If you think its the heat, you could put the Kobo in the fridge or freezer for a bit...

But, if it is the heat, it would be strange to only affect one book.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I've had books purchased from my Kobo disappear from my reader and my account mid-read, but never had an issue with a book loaded via Adobe.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote