Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #166
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I have absolutely nothing against non-readers. On the other hand, I get easily irritated by readers, meaning those "I'm better than you, because I read old difficult boring books and you read that easy modern best-selling stuff or nothing at all" type of readers.
Now let me I take a wild guess --- those snobby ones usually are not the ones trying to pick up a one-night-stand in a bar. Perhaps you will find them at a wine tasting?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #167
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Now let me I take a wild guess --- those snobby ones usually are not the ones trying to pick up a one-night-stand in a bar. Perhaps you will find them at a wine tasting?
Haha, I think you're right. I seem to come across them more on the internet. In real life it's actually not that bad.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #168
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
i'd think they'd spend their time reading instead
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #169
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Fair enough. Without trying to sound like the stereotypical male, I am of the opinion that even boring sex > not having sex.
Let's agree that we disagree here.
If the only effect would be to depressurize, I'm willing to pass. It would be only plainly insulting for both, just to use each other as a masturbation aid.
Don't get me wrong, it isn't as if I'd not like bedroom golf, but collecting scores isn't my thing. If there's no interesting counterpart around... Well, fems might have a wider choice of quality toys, but there are some nice ones for men too.

[/QUOTE] And especially with someone brand spanking new, cause really, you ywon't know before hand with absolute certainty whether it will be boring or not.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Like I said before, probabilities.
Non-reader isn't an absolute excluding attribute for me, call it a high negative modifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk
But a one nighter? I'm pretty sure I've never been that picky...I can't afford to be.
From that POV I can't afford either, but I am nevertheless.
Funny thing is, the majority of those guys who can afford to be picky are going after other ends of the spectrum.

Quote:
Just a thought, but a woman in a pair of blue jeans, no make-up, and reading glasses on is just about the sexiest thing on God's good earth.
SO TRUE.

I still hope the femfolks might come to senses again and realise that all the glossy magazine crap is the very last thing they NEED to be attractive. They are by and thru themselves.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #170
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Are you saying there is no correlation at all between reading and seeking out information?
I'm only stating that there is a correlation between seeking out information and reading, and not stating anything about any particular person.
Yes there is a correlation but you got it the wrong way. People seeking out knowledge will use reading as a medium to acquire it, they will also use movies, videos, games, audio books. It is a point I made in my first post.

But a person who reads does not mean nor imply they seek knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Are you suggesting that you have no criteria whatsoever to determine who you interact with?
Yes I do, again that was in my first post, they must be ethical and good people. Sometimes it's apparent upfront sometimes it takes a bit.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #171
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Let's agree that we disagree here.
If the only effect would be to depressurize, I'm willing to pass. It would be only plainly insulting for both, just to use each other as a masturbation aid.
Yes. Agree to disagree.

Last edited by foghat; 09-13-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: perhaps too much information...
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #172
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
When I was younger and in my 20s (and single) I actually brought my knitting to a bar. It instantly weeded out those who thought knitting was idiotic and stupid and/or out of place for a bar, and attracted a guy who came to my table and had a long discussion about knitting and his interest, etc. I had a great time, he bought me a drink and we chatted.

I'm married now and haven't been "in the scene" for nearly 20 years, but some of the best times I've had have been where I've just done my portable hobbies when and where I felt like it. I've never been good at following a preliminary script before getting to the real stuff, and it shows
Poor guys. 20 years ago they were probably sitting in the bar, looking over at you, and racking their brain trying to find something to say about knitting..

Today, they would just look on wikipedia on their smartphone, walk over, and say "Did you know that the earliest known knitted items in Europe were made by Muslim knitters employed by Spanish Christian royal families?"

Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #173
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Poor guys. 20 years ago they were probably sitting in the bar, looking over at you, and racking their brain trying to find something to say about knitting..

Today, they would just look on wikipedia on their smartphone, walk over, and say "Did you know that the earliest known knitted items in Europe were made by Muslim knitters employed by Spanish Christian royal families?"

Ha! It's funny cause it's true.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #174
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H.

Ha! It's funny cause it's true. .
Sure and after a night of hot steamy passion, guy wakes up to find he has been knit into a giant afghan along with a dozen other hapless knitting want-to-bes.

Hey babe, he says, fetch me my phone so I can sign into facebook.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #175
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
And were they honest they wouldn't need to look up factoids but just walk over and say:
"It plainly amazes how you can keep track on that.
I'd have strangled myself already by just trying to produce a plain piece of cloth bare of any patterns."
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #176
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Sure and after a night of hot steamy passion, guy wakes up to find he has been knit into a giant afghan along with a dozen other hapless knitting want-to-bes.

Hey babe, he says, fetch me my phone so I can sign into facebook.

Helen
Well, you know knitting, you just pull at the open thread an the whole thing unravels...
Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #177
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
And were they honest they wouldn't need to look up factoids but just walk over and say:
"It plainly amazes how you can keep track on that.
I'd have strangled myself already by just trying to produce a plain piece of cloth bare of any patterns."
A discussion on pick-up lines on Mobile Read. Who would have thought!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #178
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Don't we just whip out our smartphones and the biggest one wins?
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #179
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Don't we just whip out our smartphones and the biggest one wins?
Keep that 5" Galaxy Note in your pants!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #180
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
It's easy to say all this now, but back then I was pretty much asking to get laughed at. Not that it stopped me. The answer to the question "So, will anyone mind if I knit?" often determined my accepting or declining of invitations anywhere

Nowadays I read about people who take their knitting into pubs and it's not all that unusual , even sexy. Trends come and go. We have people like The Yarn Harlot blazing trails and bringing the cool back into knitting.

ETA: and now e-readers have made it a LOT easier to knit and read at the same time. no need to "hold a book open".

Last edited by spindlegirl; 09-14-2012 at 05:24 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote