Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
G1ZmO
G1ZmO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hanging during 'Add Books'

I'm having a problem importing lots of books into Calibre

I'm using the 'Add books from directories' option but after 30-50 books it just stops at 'Adding...' then I need to abort it and add the folder again. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

I am adding a huge load of books to the library so it's taking a very long time.

Is this a known bug?

Ver 0.8.37 on Ubuntu 11.04
G1ZmO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Do you have read metadata from the file contents turned on?
Perhaps try it with it turned off and see if there is a difference.

Turning automerge on can also help.

Some books have bad metadata in the file which can cause problems.
Don't think it is a bug, just that most software cannot cope with every variant of every format, as well as the ways countless people 'adjust' things.

In my experience pdf's and html files have caused the most problems.

A year ago I re-imported my library which took about 2 hours for 9000+ books. But these books all had calibre inserted metadata.

My first attempt about two years ago took days. I eventually seperated all the different formats into directories (using windows search, and copy/paste) and imported each folder seperately. For some reason this worked with no errors other than much ugly metadata.

Good luck, it is worth the pain in the long run.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
This usually happens with pdf files when importing with metadata from file contents. Disable import metadata from file contents if you still want the metadata then don't import pdf's while doing batch imports.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote