Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #76
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Sure there were plenty of pronouncements about it's eventual release to the us market,
in those days. Most of the statements were along the lines of "We plan to release it in
the US market soon." The device that is now available is obviously an English version
of the Academic market device and even has reading list support for US schools. At first,
it was talked about as being available ONLY through academic programs.

They have yet to have found time or the resources to provide a general purpose or
non-academic version of the device/firmware. As it is now, it certainly could form the
center piece for Home Schooling efforts, as well as in the more traditional academic
setting. Even Ectaco's product description includes a link to http://www.ck12.org. It is
obviously still tailored to a structured instructional setting, not to its potential as a
general purpose reading device.

I certainly hope that this device, with its existing firmware would not be Ectaco's idea
for the broader ereading market. They appear to be letting us have a device they made
and intended for release to a particular specialized market. I may be being a little egotistical to assume that my and other's requests might have had some impact on Ectaco's decision, to make it available - as is.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-03-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #77
LeftyRight
LeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Thanks to everybody who replied in this thread.

It was an interesting and informative read that's for sure.

Like some people have already said in this thread "I don't mind paying the cash if I get a product that works as it is advertised".

Looking forward to more reviews and information pertaining to this device.

My interest has been piqued.

cheers

LeftyRight
LeftyRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #78
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Sure there were plenty of pronouncements about it's eventual release to the us market,
in those days. Most of the statements were along the lines of "We plan to release it in
the US market soon." The device that is now available is obviously an English version
of the Academic market device and even has reading list support for US schools. At first,
it was talked about as being available ONLY through academic programs.

They have yet to have found time or the resources to provide a general purpose or
non-academic version of the device/firmware. As it is now, it certainly could form the
center piece for Home Schooling efforts, as well as in the more traditional academic
setting. Even Ectaco's product description includes a link to http://www.ck12.org. It is
obviously still tailored to a structured instructional setting, not to its potential as a
general purpose reading device.
Again you are wrong. Ectaco was very clear that it would hit the retail market.

And even as an Academic market device, it's not very good nor does it do what Ectaco promised.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #79
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
And even as an Academic market device, it's not very good nor does it do what Ectaco promised.
That is what I feared - but I think toward the end of the year there will be more options.
Right now we are still in the experimental phase ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #80
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... A forum by it's very nature is a place that encourages debate. Posters can and
do offer their opinion, as well as what facts are available from their own experience and
observation. Not all posters see the same data or events. Some of us are of an age
that placing events in a perfect chronology might be harder to find total confidence in,
at least not the "confidence of youth".

I even believe that moderators are entitled to express their opinions, subject to the
same constraints that they place on the rest of us posters.

Having the opinion that I am wrong, while annoying, has not, (oddly), been declared an
actual crime.

I have no official connection to Ectaco, except as a customer, but I have been observing
and commenting, on their forum as well as here, for some time before the Color device
surfaced. My recollection of the events and statements released seems to differ greatly
from Nate's. I do believe that this thread has provided ample indication that what was
released here in the US, (and worldwide from Ectaco's description) bears a goodly
resemblance to a device still in transition from a specialized/niche device to one of more
general use as an eReader. It is still "a work in progress", as far as that transition is
concerned. (Opinion?)

I am a little curious as to Nate's sources for his opinion of the device's performance in
the school systems it is being used in. Keeping in mind that open sources often hear
more from those with complaints than from those who are satisfied with a device.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #81
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... A forum by it's very nature is a place that encourages debate. Posters can and
do offer their opinion, as well as what facts are available from their own experience and
observation. Not all posters see the same data or events. Some of us are of an age
that placing events in a perfect chronology might be harder to find total confidence in,
at least not the "confidence of youth".

I even believe that moderators are entitled to express their opinions, subject to the
same constraints that they place on the rest of us posters.

Having the opinion that I am wrong, while annoying, has not, (oddly), been declared an
actual crime.

I have no official connection to Ectaco, except as a customer, but I have been observing
and commenting, on their forum as well as here, for some time before the Color device
surfaced. My recollection of the events and statements released seems to differ greatly
from Nate's. I do believe that this thread has provided ample indication that what was
released here in the US, (and worldwide from Ectaco's description) bears a goodly
resemblance to a device still in transition from a specialized/niche device to one of more
general use as an eReader. It is still "a work in progress", as far as that transition is
concerned. (Opinion?)

I am a little curious as to Nate's sources for his opinion of the device's performance in
the school systems it is being used in. Keeping in mind that open sources often hear
more from those with complaints than from those who are satisfied with a device.

Luck;
Ken
Nate is generally negative about everything...it would be nice to hear him say something positive for once - especially about the jetBook Color.

A tiny spark can start a blazing fire - when positive thinking plays it's role.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
Nate is generally negative about everything...it would be nice to hear him say something positive for once - especially about the jetBook Color.

A tiny spark can start a blazing fire - when positive thinking plays it's role.
But from what we know, there isn't anything positive to say. Ectaco is lying on their website about the resolution being 1600x1200 when it's really 800x600. On a 9.7" screen, 800x600 is a poor resolution. You will notice the low resolution regardless of the color which looks washed out based on all the images I've seen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #83
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But from what we know, there isn't anything positive to say. Ectaco is lying on their website about the resolution being 1600x1200 when it's really 800x600. On a 9.7" screen, 800x600 is a poor resolution. You will notice the low resolution regardless of the color which looks washed out based on all the images I've seen.
You are a little unfair,
I suggest you to read all posts (even the ones talking about resolution).
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #84
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes the colour is washed out, but no, the resolution is most definitely not 800x600. Have you not read anything about it? The colour resolution is 800x600 but if you're drawing black text on a white background you've got all 1600x1200 pixels to use. As demonstrated by my picture of two, one pixel wide black lines crossing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2lines400x.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	82919

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #85
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Yes the colour is washed out, but no, the resolution is most definitely not 800x600. Have you not read anything about it? The colour resolution is 800x600 but if you're drawing black text on a white background you've got all 1600x1200 pixels to use. As demonstrated by my picture of two, one pixel wide black lines crossing:

Attachment 82919

Andrew
I think that taking pictures of the PDF page that was tested on M92 will put an end to these speculations. ...
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #86
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I think that taking pictures of the PDF page that was tested on M92 will put an end to these speculations. ...
Some of us have to work for a living as well as playing with our toys...

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #87
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Looking at the photo Andy posted (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=35) it is clear to me that JBC resolution is about 200dpi
Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #88
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
Looking at the photo Andy posted (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=35) it is clear to me that JBC resolution is about 200dpi
How did you calculate that number?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #89
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
How did you calculate that number?
Using logic: I see the same test on a 6 inch pearl screen that has a real 800x600 pixels: the quality of lines are near half comparing with the JBC 9.86 inch and the small screen is (in terms of quality) as a 800x600 screen of 9.68 inch size. So we have sqrt(800**2+600**2)/9.68 = 103.3057 dpi.
But as I said the JBC screen shows a near double quality => 103.3057*2 about 200dpi

Ok, It's complicate....maybe with a picture....
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #90
mod186k1
Addict

I'll try to explain myself better.
I scanned my Sony PRS-650 showing the same picture Andy used in the post. Then I scale it with Gimp so the picture now has the same dimension of the photo of JBC (this make a comparison possible).

I scaled Sony PRS-650 200%: it's now a 103dpi resolution
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1330013098

Andy's JBC Post (I increased contrast for a better comparison):

and now here you are a picture shows you what I mean ...

It's clear that the quality is about double => 200dpi

Hope this help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS650.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	887.3 KB
ID:	82932   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPG_andy.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	82933   Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	82934  

Last edited by mod186k1; 02-23-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Pictures are too big. I think it is better leaving them only as attachments