Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguerrero810 View Post

Delete .assets in system then go to http://ubuntuone.com/7c6oSlYXK9bfDUoQ8ixvJM and unzip it to system. There should be a blank file called .assets set to read only so the kindle can't re copy the .assets folder. This will help a lot, if you already have the screensaver hack installed then the new screensaver will pop up instantly!

EDIT:
Make sure you have hidden folders activated on Windows!
The latest 4.1.0 firmware deletes that .assets file even if it is read-only.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #62
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinan View Post
I guess that passes for manners in your cracker view of things.
@simian: that was rather disrespectful. Racial slurs like that are not family friendly.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #63
pcdude2143
pcdude2143 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle SO (self-bought)
I figured something out recently that works a lot better than my original hack, and it's permanent as long as you don't hard reset your Kindle. As root, remove /var/local/adunits, replace it with a file, AND (this part is important, as the Kindle is smart enough to delete the file) set the file to immutable (using chmod or chattr. Can't remember which one.) That should prevent the ads from showing up. Then make a link to a folder on USB storage at /opt/amazon/screensaver/600x800 (or something like that. Can't remember the exact name) so you can put images there. Once you add the images you'll need to reboot your Kindle to make them appear. Don't put too many on because it wil get slow.
pcdude2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #64
VictorBravo
VictorBravo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can sign into your amazon account, and you can turn ON special offers (even if you have a non-SO kindle). You can also turn off special offers on an SO kindle, but you have to pay for the upgrade.
Right, pay $30 and get an ad-free Kindle. Easy to do from Manage Your Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...90#unsubscribe
VictorBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #65
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
It's your kindle, do what you want.
If you have a kid, and you dont want who-knows-what showing up, etc,
enable showing of hidden and archive folders (windows file settings), then go to your kindle's root. Find the new, and shady, ninja "system" folder. Delete that EVIL .assets folder. Make a new text document named x.TXT. The go up one level. Press SHIFT+Right Click on system. Click "open command window here" then type:
rename x.txt .assets Then set the resulting file as read-only. Your kindle will display "Please connect wirelessly to download the latest ads" YAY!!!
for reading
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #66
blueann_22
blueann_22 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (SO)
Using Kindle 4 NT with Special offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguerrero810 View Post

Delete .assets in system then go to http://ubuntuone.com/7c6oSlYXK9bfDUoQ8ixvJM and unzip it to system. There should be a blank file called .assets set to read only so the kindle can't re copy the .assets folder. This will help a lot, if you already have the screensaver hack installed then the new screensaver will pop up instantly!

EDIT:
Make sure you have hidden folders activated on Windows!
Is this applies to Kindle 4? I've done what you said but it still shows the "Please connect wirelessly to download the latest Special Offers". I've already jailbroke my device and installed the ss hack. I want to see my custom screensavers. Please help. Thanks.
blueann_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Mobileread moderation team disapproves of and does not condone circumventing the display of advertisements in advertisement-subsidized devices.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #68
aguerrero810
aguerrero810 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Jailbroken
Nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueann_22 View Post
Is this applies to Kindle 4? I've done what you said but it still shows the "Please connect wirelessly to download the latest Special Offers". I've already jailbroke my device and installed the ss hack. I want to see my custom screensavers. Please help. Thanks.
Nah, Bro. It dosen't
aguerrero810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #69
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Just my two cents worth. I bought my refurbished K4SO for the special low, low price of $49.00. I mean, who could pass up a deal like that?!?!?

I have no problems with the screensavers, but I really wish I could get back the last line of the catalog page. Even that's only a problem when I want to do a side by side comparison of two devices.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote