Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
CheriePie
Connoisseur
CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy S23+, Galaxy Tab S6
Window name or title

Hey Kovid, I was going to submit this directly as a bug to get fixed up but I wasn't sure of the right terminology. I think window is right.

From a software development standpoint, you configure your application window to have a name which appears in several places in Windows. The one place it's not showing up properly for Calibre is in the Taskbar Properties. When I go to the Hide Inactive Icons Customize, because I want to tell it not to auto-hide the Calibre icon when it's running in my taskbar, it's listed in that Customize Notifications list as <no title>. Unfortunately, without a valid "title" or window name there, it won't remember the Always Show setting after you've shut Calibre down or restarted your system. So can you get that window title or name fixed up in an upcoming release?

And if anyone wants to confirm what it's actually called, please do. I know I came across it before and had some other software fix it, but that was so long ago, and I'm not a programmer either, that I can't really remember what to call it. (Which is why I came out here to discuss it rather than just making a ticket directly.)

Thankies!
CheriePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm calibre does set the window title and application names, so I'm not sure what it could be
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
CheriePie
Connoisseur
CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm calibre does set the window title and application names, so I'm not sure what it could be
Are you on Windows to test it yourself? Does it show up there as <no title> for you as well?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

not at the moment, so open a ticket and i'll look into it the next time I run a windows VM
Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Just to try & clarify things, it's not the window title, but rather the system tray icon title that isn't set/appearing.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah I know, there's only thing I can think of doing that will fix this, will be in the next release, so try it and let me know.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
CheriePie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Just to try & clarify things, it's not the window title, but rather the system tray icon title that isn't set/appearing.
Yup, you're right, that more accurately describes what it is that's missing. I wasn't sure of it's exact name from a programming standpoint since the last time I came across it and had to describe it to a dev, he said something about a window title. Though it may be referred to something completely different in C++ versus Python so I dunno.

So Kovid, I'll go ahead and open up a ticket then so you don't forget about it, and just point it to this thread for more detail.

ETA - Or maybe it's already been updated per what you wrote above. I just launched calibre and see there's a new version ready to install so I'll check that first before opening a ticket. Perhaps you've already fixed it anyway and I can disregard your request for me to open a ticket for ya.

Last edited by CheriePie; 03-20-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: edited to add
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I see that occasionally; I also sometimes don't see the program icon appear properly in the taskbar (i.e., I get just a blank icon) when the program is run. Since it's just a cosmetic thing, I have never worried about it.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote