Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4
'start reading at'

Hello,
I'm trying to find a XPath expression to write in 'start reading at' (In conversion--structure detection) to achive my kindle open the book from the cover instead the chapter1.
I don't know anything about xpath, please can anyone help me?
thanks a lot.
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
XML Path Language (XPath)
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the link Gunnerp245, but it sounds like chinese to me :S
Old 10-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Thanks for the link Gunnerp245, but it sounds like chinese to me :S
I can't say that I understand it terribly either, but trial and error have gotten what I needed to make it work. The first link is quite detailed, this is from the online calibre user manual, and actually more tuned to what you want to do; I hope.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Kindles cannot open on the cover image. That is the way amazon designed them. The only way you can do that is to put a second copy of the cover image as a normal image in the book and open on that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Kindles cannot open on the cover image. That is the way amazon designed them. The only way you can do that is to put a second copy of the cover image as a normal image in the book and open on that.
thanks for your answer
And, Can I open the book in this second image (if I add it) with normal conversion or i have to write a xpath expression?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try it and see
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kovid, would it be possible to build this functionality into Calibre, maybe a check box in the mobi output options?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm not actually sure that it is a good idea to do this, so I dont want to make it too easy. It means having two identical images in the mobi file. So if you use the go to cover function, then press next page you will see two identical images. Similarly if you press page back on the second image you will get to the first image.

And then on non Kindle viewers, like the calibre viewer which open at the proper cover, you will again see two images.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Kamikuza
Connoisseur
Kamikuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Amazon says having a cover image and an .xhtml cover page is "bad form, old boy." I tend to agree...

Firstly, if you DO go to the cover image (from the menu) it nicely fills the screen (or should if it's 600x800), then the next page you get a picture that poorly fills the screen - and opening the ebook on the cover.xhtml also means you have to push "Back" twice to actually go back one page to the cover proper. Not to mention when the book opens, you get the title bar at the top borking things up even more.

That said... here's how you do it.

For the cover image, right click and "Add Semantics - Cover". That'll create the entry in the erm meta-data file. Do the same for the cover.xhtml file - another entry created.

Can't recall the name of that file right now (down the bottom of the book browser, not the toc.ncx file) but open that puppy and down the bottom will be the "semantic" data.

Can't remember the details right now but there'll be something like "type=cover" and "something=Cover" ... copy that whole line and paste it again.

Change both the type and the something to start and... bingo. Once converted, the .mobi will (should!) open to cover.xhtml.

When I'm on a computer that works properly, I can put the exact info in... remind me later :lol:
Kamikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Oh PS - cover.jpg should be, as I said, 600x800 or that AR to perfectly cover the screen when you "menu - go to - cover".

But an image on a page... the size that most fills the page is about 593x800 - I believe the Kindle rescales the image according to the width...

Or used to... it would zoom an image to be the width of the screen or 2x as wide, whichever came first.

With the latest update, it doesn't scale small images at all - so make sure your cover is big enough.

There's a thread around called "image size test" that has more details!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
That said... here's how you do it.

For the cover image, right click and "Add Semantics - Cover". That'll create the entry in the erm meta-data file. Do the same for the cover.xhtml file - another entry created.
Since we're in the calibre forums, might it be helpful to indicate that your "how to" involves using an entirely different—and unnamed—program?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Heh... no doubt

Sigil is how I edit the .epub. I'm sure there are other ways to get at the opf file...?

This post has the details - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=3
Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
Heh... no doubt

Sigil is how I edit the .epub. I'm sure there are other ways to get at the opf file...?

This post has the details - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=3
Select the book in Calibre: Tap 'T" : 'Explode': navigate to file:use text editor of choice
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote