Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #33286
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
you need a reverse camelbak
Something along those lines... There are already half a dozen different designs being sold by Leica, Bushnell, Op-tec, which is my favorite design so far, but beefed up for much heavier, larger camera and lens, and several others.

The basic problem is that when wearing a well armored motorcycle jacket, it's really difficult to get in and out of the existing harnesses. I want to make one that utilizes the same concept, but much stronger and with a different doff & don method. I picked up some webbing and various buckles and sliders at the home center this afternoon. Now I'll start playing...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #33287
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
This might provide some inspiration?

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #33288
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
This might provide some inspiration?

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
That really is quite the setup! Thanks for the link! I would find it very useful for jungle trekking and shooting in less developed areas where having two cameras right at hand to be a blessing, rather than going into my bag to make a switch. It looks extremely secure, and the camera/lens combos shown in the video are about the same size that I normally carry. I think I may order one and try it out... but not use it on the bike.

I'd worry about the doff & don part... Motorcycle clothing, especially the sort that I wear, with its fully armored shoulders, back, elbows, etc., make moving around a bit difficult, and getting into or out of that harness while wearing such bulky clothes might be a problem. Simpler is better, which is why I favor the Op-tec style for bike use. The single strap is a lot easier to get into. I just need to beef up the Op-tec using 1" tubular climbing webbing, and add Fas-tex buckles so I can put the darn thing on or take it off without looking like I'm doing trying to shed a cocoon!

Stitchawl
Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #33289
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
SS loves sleeping kitties.

I am sitting here checking emails etc, wondering how i am going to drink my tea which bloke is making now.

yesterday I fell off my bike and hit the road with my face.

Result I have hiltler moustache over duck lips and a broken tooth(among other small injuries that look worse than they are). I was able to eat a drink a little last night, but this morning the swelling has increased so I can barely open my mouth.

tea time now and off to enjoy another episode of Montalbano in bed (which is where I think I might spend most of the day)
Ouch! SS, I just saw this. I don't think I read this thread yesterday. I hope you get better quickly! And I agree with Pooh, drinking straws would make things easier. Take care of yourself!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #33290
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I just watched the first part of a documentary about the behind the scenes of the London Underground. I know the job of those people isn't easy but seeing it, wow. I have so much respect for those people, especially the cleaners!

Now of to bed and see if I can get back into A Storm of Swords after having put it aside two months ago.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #33291
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I'm off on a quest today! I'm searching for a better can opener. For some reason my wife has trouble making our regular can opener work. Go figure...

Actually, I couldn't use a can opener properly until I was in my late 30's. I blame my mother's teachings: 'Son, put the wheels over the lip of the can, squeeze the handles together as hard as you can, then turn the butterfly handle.' Sound's easy enough, and as a small child I could do it. But as I got older I could no longer turn the damn handle... and I'm pretty strong too! Especially my hands after a lifetime of playing guitar.

After a few years struggling I bought an electric can opener and that solved the problem of getting them open, but not the problem of 'why' I couldn't use the manual opener!

That lasted until the thing died 15 years later. At that time I had a girlfriend living with me, and she had brought a manual can opener to the relationship, which she could use with no difficulty. I still couldn't turn the damn butterfly handle. After much bitching and complaining, she decided she was going to figure out my problem... Says she; "Tell me what is going through your mind when you try to use the opener."
Me: "Well, I sort of play the tape of my mother teaching me how... "put the wheels over the lip of the can, squeeze the handles together as hard as you can, then turn the butterfly handle."
She: "OK... This time, put the wheels over the lip of the can, squeeze the handles together as hard as you can to puncture the can, THEN STOP SQUEEZING. JUST HOLD THEM GENTLY and then turn the butterfly handle." Worked every time after that. I was squeezing so hard that there was no way those wheels were going to turn!

Stitchawl
Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #33292
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
...yesterday I fell off my bike and hit the road with my face.

Result I have hiltler moustache over duck lips and a broken tooth(among other small injuries that look worse than they are). I was able to eat a drink a little last night, but this morning the swelling has increased so I can barely open my mouth....
Poor Sneaky! That's horrible! I hope it wasn't too traumatic, everything heal well, and the dentist can fix the tooth.

Did you get video of the spill?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #33293
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Things are healing up now Lip still looks bad. too scared to go to dentist, although when face gets a bit better may need to.

A friend has just been here with chocolates (which I will cut into little bits to eat) and some special healing oil for my wounds. Things are looking up.

SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #33294
bleja
bleja began at the beginning.

Device: none
looking at the weather report and trying to figure out what to do this afternoon and obviously browsing this forum lol
bleja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #33295
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

As a keen photographer Im sorting out all my files on the computer ready for a printing session I have booked in. Im decided to take my hobby one step further and try get some work published in a local gallery in Cork. So its going to be an exciting weekend for my alothough sorting out which ones to print is going to be quite trciky, I have other 2'000 images in just one file and there are 8 to go through!
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #33296
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm slightly scarred (should be scared) at the moment because my father is in an exceptionally generous mood this week.

First, our manual price-tagger of 25+ years old has been in need of replacement for quite a while now and I had already prepared myself for a battle of getting a new one (new ones that are good are expensive). Yesterday my father told me he had ordered a tag printer (even more expensive) with tags and hopefully it'll arrive next week. Since I'm the one doing most of the tagging I was very happy with that news!

Tonight my father went to Staples to get a new desk chair since the back of his ancient chair had broken off. He also wanted to buy a new, more practical, coffee making machine. Not only did he buy those things but also new chairs for around the table. Again I'm very happy because I've been using an, again, ancient dining room chair with a saggy seat which edge cuts off the blood flow in my legs if I sit in it for a longer period of time.

To top it all off he bought a new laptop for me to use in the store ! For a couple of years I've been using a netbook. A couple of weeks ago he asked me what I thought about the screen size of the netbook, although I don't mind the small size he did. My biggest problem is that with more and more manufacturers releasing their catalogues in huge PDF files it's starting to get a bit slow for looking things up quickly. On Monday, when the store's closed, I'm going to set the new notebook up, removing all the bloatware and installing the things we need (including Kindle for PC for quiet times ).

I'm very happy, though slightly scared!

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 02-24-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #33297
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Scared! You are scared, not scarred -- unless he is tattooing things onto your arms. (giggle) Although "Dad is the best" might be appropriate right now!

Yeah, a fast processor and good quantity of memory helps with big pdf files too. Good luck, and YAY DAD! Sounds like he deserves an extra big hugg!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #33298
marino.DV
Groupie
marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Listening to some crappy music on the radio and to lazy to change the channel
marino.DV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #33299
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Scared! You are scared, not scarred -- unless he is tattooing things onto your arms. (giggle) Although "Dad is the best" might be appropriate right now!

Yeah, a fast processor and good quantity of memory helps with big pdf files too. Good luck, and YAY DAD! Sounds like he deserves an extra big hugg!
Lol, I just realised my typo, though I might be mentally scarred by this experience . Usually getting him to replace something that's in need of replacing is a big and very long battle. He only replaced the mouse of the desktop PC in the store when both big buttons died, first the, most used, left one stopped working after which he set the right one to function as the left one and the scroll wheel button to function as right click, which was very confusing to work with!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #33300
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Tomorrow they finally are going to start working on the roof! It means I have to get up early tomorrow (Monday is my Sunday) because my parents are away in the morning but I'm very willing to do so! I have to stay available to open the door if needed so I've planned some chores in the store tomorrow.

Hopefully this time next week the broken tiles are replaced and the ancient window too and I can sleep again when it's raining at night.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?