Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Question Modification Options that preserve stock functionality

I have a bit of a dilemma. I like the B&N Nook Color software. Especially the reading app, however I want to be able to install non-market (or even just non-B&N Market) apps. So what I'm looking for is to modify my nook color so that:

1. It runs stock with modifications that allow it to break out of the B&N walled garden (if you can call it a garden in this sense). But preserves compatibility with all official B&N software and systems.

or

2. It runs a mod (Cyanaogen or similar) but can still run all of the stock B&N apps.

Is either 1 or 2 possible?
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
I have a bit of a dilemma. I like the B&N Nook Color software. Especially the reading app, however I want to be able to install non-market (or even just non-B&N Market) apps. So what I'm looking for is to modify my nook color so that:

1. It runs stock with modifications that allow it to break out of the B&N walled garden (if you can call it a garden in this sense). But preserves compatibility with all official B&N software and systems.

or

2. It runs a mod (Cyanaogen or similar) but can still run all of the stock B&N apps.

Is either 1 or 2 possible?
All you need is a basic root that will install google market. Then you have B&N's stock library etc, but you have access to other apps through google market or adbwirless, which allows your pc to connect wirelessly to your NC and install apps that way.

I did try CM7 by running it off SD card but it was to much a pain. If I wanted to get to the B&N stuff I'd have to reboot. Just a plan root worked for me.. now I have access to everything without rebooting..

I followed this guide for rooting. The hardest part is all the gathering, once you have that done, the root is fairly quick.

Last edited by Synergi; 09-25-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Another option is setting up dual-boot. More info here.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
^^^ The above post is what I've done.

It's actually very easy to do, just go step by step.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
It's actually very easy to do, just go step by step.
I agree. I did it over the weekend. Had a couple minor hiccups, but it was pretty easy overall.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
All you need is a basic root that will install google market. Then you have B&N's stock library etc, but you have access to other apps through google market or adbwirless, which allows your pc to connect wirelessly to your NC and install apps that way.

I did try CM7 by running it off SD card but it was to much a pain. If I wanted to get to the B&N stuff I'd have to reboot. Just a plan root worked for me.. now I have access to everything without rebooting..

I followed this guide for rooting. The hardest part is all the gathering, once you have that done, the root is fairly quick.
Yeah, I agree. I am capable of doing whatever I want rooting, modding, etc. I have done it many times already but the point is that I want to keep it a Nook Color. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too - bets of both worlds. Having to reboot into Android is too much of a hassle.

Thanks, I'll give your suggestion a try and see if I like it.
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
the point is that I want to keep it a Nook Color.
That's exactly what I wanted, too, and the Nooter method worked great, after I disabled "Softkeys". (I can re-start it if I ever run an android app that needs those controls.)
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
thecdn
thecdn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
Another option is setting up dual-boot. More info here.
After running cm7 since the day after I bought my NC I was curious to see what stock looked like these days. This method is perfect as it default boots into cm7, where I want to be 99% of the time, and lets me alternate boot into stock to have a look or show others what the NC is supposed to look like.

I'm also running miui off a micro sdcard as well. It is really nice and I just may install it over top of cm7 sometime soon.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Running off SD card just didn't work for me. Like the OP, I wanted access to the B&N side without having to reboot. I was on B&N side, decided to run my kindle app, I had to reboot into CM7, then reboot back into B&N software when I wanted my library. It was just a pain in the rear to me. Now I just have to press one button to get at either side, have access to all my apps and my B&N library and it just worked better for me.

How did it go OP?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
oppy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Running off SD card just didn't work for me. Like the OP, I wanted access to the B&N side without having to reboot. I was on B&N side, decided to run my kindle app, I had to reboot into CM7, then reboot back into B&N software when I wanted my library. It was just a pain in the rear to me. Now I just have to press one button to get at either side, have access to all my apps and my B&N library and it just worked better for me.
Dual boot runs off the eMMC not an SD, and there's a Nook app for Android, so you don't ever really need to reboot to just read your BN stuff.

The more I play around with the full Android OS, the more I like it. There's so much more functionality in the Nook that is simply wasted using the stock OS.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
Dual boot runs off the eMMC not an SD, and there's a Nook app for Android, so you don't ever really need to reboot to just read your BN stuff.

The more I play around with the full Android OS, the more I like it. There's so much more functionality in the Nook that is simply wasted using the stock OS.
True, but I didn't want the nook app. I like the book shelf set up and the home screen. I don't really need it to be a full android device since I have a android phone and a ipad. My Nook is for reading with everything else being secondary..

Speaking of Apps, I wish Amazon would fixed up theirs. ITs so plain next to ibooks..but I can't read in ibooks because the text isn't nearly as sharp. Can't wait for ipad 3 which is suppose to fix that in a big way if the screen rumors are true.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I am looking for the same thing. I rooted my NC but I missed the stock reader and the last page read/last books read keys. I also like the home screen the way it is (able to put books there, etc...). The only thing I really want android market for is for a decent browser and gingerbread keyboard. What option will leave the NC intact but allow me to download a browser like dolphin hd?

Also, I am not very good at this so it would have to be an easy way with lots of instructions.

Last edited by Care; 10-04-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Care, the second post (first answer) by Synergi contains a link that describes what you're looking for.

But first, you will need to restore your Nook to the stock OS, then re-root using that ManualNooter method.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
So, this ia a plain root that allows you to run the stock B&N software and add apps from the marketplace? With no rebooting to go from stock?

I am currently running CM7. Do I need to remove it and reinstall the stock B&N software first?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
oppy
Connoisseur

I think you'll find all the info you need in synergi's first post above, lionel.

Tags
mod, rooting