Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
How Would You Improve the iPod touch?

After reading this CNET article, I started thinking about features I'd love to see in the next touch. This is my Top 5; what about yours?
  • 3+ MP AF Cam - not for photos, but for ID apps that require a better camera
  • GPS & Compass - required for numerous outdoor and nature apps
  • larger battery - Apple's obsession with thin comes at the expense of battery life
  • larger speaker - current speaker too weak and tinny
  • 16GB model - 8GB not enough; 32GB too much
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Some of those are fine and would be nice but I am sure that Apple is always going to have a clear distinction between an iPod Touch and the iPhone to get people to but the iPhone... that is why I think the iPod Touch is always going to be lacking features found on the iPhone or will have inferior features.

As for size, I think the 8, 32, and 64 currently available is enough. You have the 8 gig for those on a budget and the other two for those who are not. I dont think that adding a 16 gig to the mix makes sense. Perhaps discontinue the 8 for a 16, but not add a 4th model to the mix.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
After reading this CNET article, I started thinking about features I'd love to see in the next touch. This is my Top 5; what about yours?
  • 3+ MP AF Cam - not for photos, but for ID apps that require a better camera
  • GPS & Compass - required for numerous outdoor and nature apps
  • larger battery - Apple's obsession with thin comes at the expense of battery life
  • larger speaker - current speaker too weak and tinny
  • 16GB model - 8GB not enough; 32GB too much
I agree with your first three, O Woollen Eater of Bananas!

Camera +1
GPS & Compass +1
Larger Battery +1

The larger speaker: well I use headphones or a dock, so, for me, - meh.
I live quite comfortably in 8GB. If GPS and Compass arrive, 32GB will probably not be too much (on board maps, etc) - jury's still out on that one.

Larger screen! Not too much larger, maybe 4 ~ 4.5 inch.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Some of those are fine and would be nice but I am sure that Apple is always going to have a clear distinction between an iPod Touch and the iPhone to get people to but the iPhone... that is why I think the iPod Touch is always going to be lacking features found on the iPhone or will have inferior features.

As for size, I think the 8, 32, and 64 currently available is enough. You have the 8 gig for those on a budget and the other two for those who are not. I dont think that adding a 16 gig to the mix makes sense. Perhaps discontinue the 8 for a 16, but not add a 4th model to the mix.
As long as data plans are forced, I'll never get a smartphone.

An inferior camera coupled with a lack of GPS and compass pretty much makes the iPod touch useless for me outside of the house. As is, it stays home most of the time.

Dump the 8GB model; 16GB is more practical. I'm currently at around 12GB and don't see myself going much higher. 8GB with a card slot would've been perfect, but Apple's too greedy and wants you to spend for storage you'll never use.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
The larger speaker: well I use headphones or a dock, so, for me, - meh.

~~~ snip ~~~

Larger screen! Not too much larger, maybe 4 ~ 4.5 inch.
I don't store music on my touch, so I stream it. I like doing that both at home and at work. At home, I have numerous speaker docks scattered about the house; so no problem there. It's work that's a problem. I can't use headphones and move about too much to make a dock practical. I need a better speaker.

A larger screen would be great; but I'd gladly trade that option for a better speaker.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
i have seen the idevices being criticized for sound quality in many audiophile forums. I would like the ipod touch sound quality to be improved.

since am just a casual listener, i cant make out much of a difference.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'd actually like the iPod Touch to fatten up a bit. Either that or use a kinda rubbery backing (similar to the PRS-350) so it doesn't slip easily from my grip.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Looking at the comments, I think this one has it about right as to what Apple WILL do:

Quote:
There are many good points here. Yet, let's look at what Apple is doing. Specifically, iTunes in the cloud & iTunes Match & iOS 5.

I would love a 128GB iTouch but I don't see that happening with iTunes in the cloud.

This is my best guess:
Built-in 3G: Feeds iTunes in the Cloud Purchases
Improved Camera: iCloud Sharing
4" Retina Display: Not a "cloud feature" more of my wish list.
16, 32, & 64GB models: I love my 4-year old 160 GB iPod Classic. BUT, I will not need nor care about capacity when iTunes Match arrives. I will enroll within five-minutes of it's availability.
Design: iPad 2 Bevelled Look. Available in Black & White. Aluminum back with ultra-tough Corning Gorilla Touch screen.

Apple may publicly state they enjoy the 'problem' of their products "cannibalizing" one another but the fact is: Cannibalization is a myth. Any device is an introduction to the worlds most seamless post-pc-ecosystem.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7...#ixzz1XxM2yXLg
I think Apple is going to want to make iCloud important to the iTouch experience. Getting kids to put their music and photos into Apple's cloud is going to be yet another way of way of locking them into the Apple ecosystem. I'm betting no bigger screen, but a bigger battery( need more juice for streaming and 3G)
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If there really is built in 3G, it would certainly be interesting to see how it will be handled. Will it be the same as the iPad and restricted to data services only or will it effectively be a low-end, contract free version of the iPhone?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If there really is built in 3G, it would certainly be interesting to see how it will be handled. Will it be the same as the iPad and restricted to data services only or will it effectively be a low-end, contract free version of the iPhone?
Any contract free phones from Apple will come with a high price tag.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Any contract free phones from Apple will come with a high price tag.
They do, but it's all relative; contract free = unsubsidised, so taken over a typical 18 month contract length here in the UK you'll still make a small saving buying an unlocked iPhone from Apple. The real benefit of buying unlocked is that you're not tied to a contract so you can change providers at will (30-day notice period typically required) or effectively just use it as a dumb-phone if you don't want to pay for 3G data.

Back to improving the iPod Touch; I'd love to have better speakers in it - my wife's old Nokia was about half the size of a Touch and had incredible speakers. I'd also love to se a Touch+ (~5.75" 4:3 screen running 1024 x 768 iPad apps) though that might just be me, lol.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:

An inferior camera coupled with a lack of GPS and compass pretty much makes the iPod touch useless for me outside of the house. As is, it stays home most of the time.

Dump the 8GB model; 16GB is more practical. I'm currently at around 12GB and don't see myself going much higher. 8GB with a card slot would've been perfect, but Apple's too greedy and wants you to spend for storage you'll never use.
I dont think I can live without my iPhone and in all reality, if you thing you will get free 3G on an iPod touch and not have to pay for it I think you are going to be in for a rude awakening. As it is you can get contract free 3G on an iPad but it is not all you can eat and streaming will use up a ton of data. That is why I use wifi on my iPad and not pay for 3G.
As for the capacity, I dont think there is anything really wrong with an 8 gig model. It is perfect for kids and most people. The larger models are for those who have to have a ton of music/movies/apps with them all the time. Heck, I have the 32 gig iphone and I only maintain about 700 song on it and I still have 16 gigs free. the 32 gig model was more that I actually needed but I have learned (the hard way) to buy the largest capacity you can afford and not end up with storage problems down the road.

With your 12 gigs of music, I would be surprised to see you go past 16 and run into the same problem of not having enough space.

Last edited by rcuadro; 09-15-2011 at 11:53 AM.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I dont think I can live without my iPhone and in all reality, if you thing you will get free 3G on an iPod touch and not have to pay for it I think you are going to be in for a rude awakening.
You must have me confused with someone else, because I've never thought that. I'm quite happy with WiFi only.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
With your 12 gigs of music, I would be surprised to see you go past 16 and run into the same problem of not having enough space.
I don't store music on my touch. The 12GB consists of apps, audiobooks, and videos. 16GB is more than enough for me; but I didn't have that option.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It is not necessary to have a data plan with an iPhone. You can turn off cell network data access without turning off wifi access. Lack of cellular data just stops you using the internet when away from Wifi.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote