Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Post Sony's Response To New Kindle: Not Chasing "Cheapest E-Reader" Title

http://blogs.forbes.com/velocity/201...-reader-title/

Quote:
“Pricing is one consideration in the dedicated reading device marketplace, but Sony won’t sacrifice the quality and design we’re bringing book lovers to lay claim to the cheapest eReader," said Phil Lubell, Sony Electronics' vice president of digital reading. He added, "Our global customers expect to get the best digital book reading experience and we’re concentrated on delivering that by investing in Sony’s award-winning design and original digital reading enhancements, such as eBook library borrowing and the only full touch-screen on the market.”
As a Sony customer all I can say is "Hey Sony, pull the other one, it's got brass bells on!"
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Well, I think they have a point; my metal darkblue PRS-300 IMO looks and feel classier then the other plastic 5 inch readers available now. I like that and I'm glad I will still have the choice in the future to spent more and get better hardware.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I think they've got a few problems with this approach, but it depends on what new machines they bring out over the next few months.

I'm going to concentrate on what I expect the average consumer will think, not what we here think about closed vs open formats, etc.

At the moment (prior to any new Sony releases):

The availability of a 6" reader with wifi from Amazon at £109 is likely to dent their ability to sell the 5" PRS-300 at £124. Particularly as the Kindle has 4GB of storage and the PRS-300 has 512MB.

With the arrival of Amazon's UK eBook store the other UK offerings are going to get blown away by the number of available titles. Waterstone's is great, it's got less than 30,000 eBook titles, including the free ones. Amazon are going to launch with 400,000 excluding free titles. Sony are going to get a lot of confused customers saying "What do you mean I can't buy books from Amazon?"

Sony have a gap in their range for a non-touch screen 6" device. I spent a short time in the stores comparing the Touch with the 300 and the Elonex 511EB and it was clear that the non-touch screen devices were more legible. Not everyone will spot that but plenty will.

I was going to compare the Daily edition with the iPad and forthcoming Android tablets, but I can't find anyone selling it anymore. It's not even featured in the Sony Reader range on the UK Sony site. Did I miss that being discontinued?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I don't believe that the price war has ended with Amazon's latest announcement. The kindle, nook and kobo readers can all be sold below cost with the expectation of making profit off of the 30% profit they're guaranteed in ebook sales.

I suspect that Sony isn't driving enough sales through their own ebook store to get into that battle. Sony's response makes sense but I hope they can deliver.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I wonder who'll be the first to adopt some kind of recurring payment scheme. You know, give the reader away for free in return for buying a book a month for three years or something like that.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
I hope Sony continues to develop its line of PRS-600/PRS-900 readers - I am a big fan of touchscreens, and I don't see many firms other than Sony developing this technology. A new PRS-900 with an improved screen would get my money.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
fumanchu314159
fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I wonder who'll be the first to adopt some kind of recurring payment scheme. You know, give the reader away for free in return for buying a book a month for three years or something like that.
Or better, like emusic subscriptions have done (e.g. Spotify), pay a monthly fee to read whatever you want...without keeping your own copy. What would you pay for that?
fumanchu314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
...I was going to compare the Daily edition with the iPad and forthcoming Android tablets, but I can't find anyone selling it anymore. It's not even featured in the Sony Reader range on the UK Sony site. Did I miss that being discontinued?...
Afaik the Daily Edition is sold only in the US (yeah... I learned that at a local sony store also along the fact that ebook readers are not sold in Belgium u_u).

And yeah... well I think Sony's been always all about the hardware. And I really like the solid feel of my prs-505. But if Sony's all about the hardware with ebooks too... they are disapointing heavily on the 9,X" reader department =(

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
If you think about, their PRS-900 (Daily Edition) is the best priced out the high-end readers right now so Sony is playing games. They should be emphasizing this fact in the USA. It's now priced at $249 (so you are getting an extra 1.1 inch screen, touchscreen, cover, hard case) all for an extra $50 or $60 it would cost you to buy a 3G Nook or Kindle. Now they are giving you an extra battery with your purchase until September. The screen of the PRS-900 is not as bad as PRS-600, so they should put the new screen technology in and add wifi and sell the PRS-900 everywhere.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu314159 View Post
Or better, like emusic subscriptions have done (e.g. Spotify), pay a monthly fee to read whatever you want...without keeping your own copy. What would you pay for that?
Spotify suscriber
Yeah why not, admiting it have enough choise (and I don't need to buy books in addition not in the subscription).
And if the prises are responsable, and DRM not a pain.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
If they don't launch new models very quickly, they're finished.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Yay Sony. I admit, I am biased. At my house we have a Bravia TV, a PlayStation 2 and 3, a PSP, a Vaio F-series laptop and, of course, the Reader.

Sony never make the "cheapest" anything, so I am not surprised by this statement of theirs. I'm excited to see what Reader they will come out with next, though.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Very hard to say what will happen with Sony without seeing any real numbers.

It is possible though that they are losing market share, but still selling more units as the general market for ebooks grows. However, in terms of press they are largely out of the game -- seems like it's Amazon and Apple for the moment.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Yay Sony. I admit, I am biased. At my house we have a Bravia TV, a PlayStation 2 and 3, a PSP, a Vaio F-series laptop and, of course, the Reader.

Sony never make the "cheapest" anything, so I am not surprised by this statement of theirs. I'm excited to see what Reader they will come out with next, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Well, I think they have a point; my metal darkblue PRS-300 IMO looks and feel classier then the other plastic 5 inch readers available now. I like that and I'm glad I will still have the choice in the future to spent more and get better hardware.
I may have been a bit hard on Sony in my comment there. I love Sony gear too, and I do agree that they shouldn't be chasing the rock bottom price either. I am also happy to pay premium for quality. Sony's build quality is next to none. I only hope they improve on screen quality. I would personally gladly sacrifice the touch capability for better screen contrast.
I really do hope Sony comes up with new generation of e-readers soon. What they offered in this original article is nothing but marketing fluff.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
My PRS-600 looks very classy and in the same time its construction is robust (not the cheap plastic as other readers).
However, the selection of books in Sony Store is its limiting factor.
IMO, with a better screen (contrast), this model would have been great and no cheap competitor could have beaten them (in spite of price).
I agree with banjobama - my home is full of Sony products, too (my TV, my MP3 player, the computer I am writing on, DVD player) and these are long-lasting and quality products. I respect their decision.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote