Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Unhappy Help me pick a font

I've got the cover art for my next book, but I'm torn between a couple font styles & colors. Take a look and let me know what your favorite is.

Moved to Flickr

Of course, if you hate them all, I'd like to know why.

Last edited by kcmay; 09-24-2010 at 11:33 PM.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
I like them all. You could use 1 of each per line or word. Or 1 for the title and 1 for your name.
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Of the three, I think Option 1 is the best. To me, of the three it best exemplifies the "vampire look" for a cover.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

The cover you have is already professional.
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
I like the font in #2 but I'd prefer it in the blue color :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
No 2. Blue wouldn't stand out enough when it is postage stamp sized.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1 - Difficult to read, especially when thumbnail-sized
2 - I really like this one. The font gives it a little bit of uniqueness.
3 - Not bad, but I prefer 2.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just to really mix it up, I prefer one!

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll go with 2 with a drop shadow and bevel:

Check out #10 at http://www.flickr.com/photos/54240394@N07/

I like the way the Vs point to the guy and the snake on the left that's trying to get him.

(except that I've reached my bandwidth limit, so I can't see it )

Last edited by kcmay; 09-24-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
=(
KC, who's your host? I think I managed to get unlimited bandwidth from godaddy
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
kcmay
Addict

I went with cheap (aka doteasy). I have another web site hosted through ipower, and I love ipower, but doteasy was cheaper. Never really expected to run into bandwidth issues, but then again, I don't normally post a dozen different potential cover images over 2mb each and then ask a bunch of writers to check them out.

That'll teach me! Off I go to create a flickr account.

P.S. Uploaded them all to flickr.

Last edited by kcmay; 09-24-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I like the second to last one best.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
indie
Enthusiast
indie began at the beginning.

I liked 1 and 4. All of the covers are pretty good and creative however.
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I must say, cover #5 is the one I'd look to pick up - mostly because the title text can take up a reasonable area on the top zone, where's with the dropped-V's you end up with a very large amount of 'empty space' between the lettering and the main character on the cover.

I'd try take what you've done with #5, highlight the main character a bit more to bring him out, drop-shadow the title text... and see what it looks like.

Don't you love it how we're forcing you to do all these crazy things
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I ended up picking #4. What I did was to reduce to thumbnail size to see what it would look like. I found that a lighter background and the text on #4 was easier to see at the smaller size.

I do like the drop V's. What would it look like if you used those V's, but left the placement of Title text the same as on #4? Does that make sense?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote